• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

-.1 or -.3 on final mastered mix?

eugenecanady

i'm doing some mastering and there seems to be two strong opions out there. one says the final mix should be -.1 and the other says -.3. a few say 0 db but id rather play it a little safer. any opions on the matter here?

saemskin

Established Member
not sure if this applies, but if you convert a -0.1 dbfs wav file to an mp3 it will clip. Very very small portions, but detectable by soundforge none the less. save to mp3 at least -0.5 or less, then normalize to -0.1 after the conversion. :D

MASSIVE Mastering

I make it a point to try NOT to have anything \"always\" in the hot zone. Occasional peaks at -0.3 aren't going to be an issue. Nor are occasional peaks at -0.1.

Making it so *most* of the time those levels are hitting hard (brick-walling), that's too hard.

Playback converters aren't going to like it, and there will probably be considerable amounts of reconstructive distortion if the levels are almost always hitting that high.

The more \"normal\" and dynamic the mix, the less I worry about the peaks. The more \"smashed\" the mix, the lower I try to keep the \"safety net\" on the limiter. Even though in the grand scheme, it's going to sound smashed whether it's peaking at -0.1 or -1.0... I just don't feel like overloading the converters on cheap CD players.

I'm running a project right now - The maximum peak so far is -0.9dBFS. If that's as loud as it gets, that's how loud it will be.

Whoops: -0.8... 8-[

(Sigh) I remember when \"Eh, -3.5, -4... That's pretty loud\" was pretty loud. The brickwall limiter is probably almost single handedly responsible for the downfall of audio.

cAPSLOCK

MASSIVE Mastering said:
(Sigh) I remember when "Eh, -3.5, -4... That's pretty loud" was pretty loud. The brickwall limiter is probably almost single handedly responsible for the downfall of audio.
Well.. I dunno. The A/D converter, the CD, and radio have held hands with the brickwall limiter.

If we were still mastering to vinyl...

saemskin

Established Member
At what point did people become to lazy to turn the volume knob up when they wanted \"louder\"?

anha

saemskin said:
At what point did people become to lazy to turn the volume knob up when they wanted "louder"?

MASSIVE Mastering

That sounds about right...

But now, we can't be lazy - We have to keep turning everything DOWN. :lol:

.mr chris

MASSIVE Mastering said:
That sounds about right...
But now, we can't be lazy - We have to keep turning everything DOWN. :lol:
jeee and what do you do, if your amp(in the living room THX badged...) has -60 to +20 range and recent CD compilations I dial in -57 -> -60 to listen to while eating/ having friends here and still too lound??? 8)

BK rulez.... ;)

Cheers,
.c

dt

saemskin said:
not sure if this applies, but if you convert a -0.1 dbfs wav file to an mp3 it will clip. Very very small portions, but detectable by soundforge none the less. save to mp3 at least -0.5 or less, then normalize to -0.1 after the conversion. :D
Same here in Adobe Audition and others. I usually have to drop the .wavs by 1dB at least (even though my occasional peaks are limited to -0.5dB usually) to keep the mp3 from clipping. Sounds like a bug, or just a lack of design in mp3 encoders to me.

UAD Bundle Month