• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

1178 Surprise

Yogeek

A friend of mine just picked upcan 1178 and came to my studio for testing and calibrating...
I've been reading several times that 1178 didn't have input transformer but ampli op.
Well, i might be wrong but this really looks like transformers:

Well the two big red thing really look like?
The bad point is that they are tawain made. do you think it could be possible to have a LL1540 instead?

cAPSLOCK

Looks to me those are output transformers. The missing transformers in the 1178 AFAIK are on the input section which UREI replaced with an differential IC based input section... see those little chips?

A cool sounding compressor. Pumpy.

cAPS

Giles117 DP

I had one for 14 years. Now I miss it. Added a nice grain to the signal when hit hard.....

Yogeek

Well i'm a little dissapointed since i wish i could have custom it a little...
any ideas to improve it?

cAPSLOCK

Put the cover back on and screw wires onto the back of it. ;)

Or call Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades.

Or do a search on one of the DIY forums.

Bur seriously the first suggestion would be my primary one!

cAPS

UAD Bundle Month