• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

1U rack, UAD plugs, firewire for XMAS

bulls hit

Wouldn't that be great..it's not too much to ask.

Each unit could be configured to hold upto 4,.. 8?cards. Or a 2U option for the big lads.

Firewire, not pci is the future. Surely UAD are doing something to ameleorate this unfortunate situation. Blessed are the cheesemakers

sniper

Established Member
bulls hit said:
Wouldn't that be great..it's not too much to ask.

Each unit could be configured to hold upto 4,.. 8?cards. Or a 2U option for the big lads.

Firewire, not pci is the future. Surely UAD are doing something to ameleorate this unfortunate situation. Blessed are the cheesemakers
And surely you would buy it all without complaining a wee bit about the cost.. 8)

bulls hit

sniper said:
And surely you would buy it all without complaining a wee bit about the cost.. 8)
No not at all. If they pitched them around the price of the TC units, they'd get plenty of takers

petersueco

Ok. I know waht you want. Is this:

This box houses four UAD-1 legacy PCI cards and is connected to the back plate of the new UAD-2 PCIe (with 4 MPACT chips) fourt times the power of the old cards.

That would be a Happy Christmas !!!!

Peter Holmquist

billybk1

Shareholder
Hey, I really like how you think Peter! :) I love the analogish Blackface & Silverface aspect of it, as well. :wink:

It would fit in well with UA's mantra \"analog ears | digital minds\" 8)

afone1977

i love it too, except for one think :

i expect UA will use some more powerful and actual chip ,

or will make 1U rack with 8 or 16 MPACT chip,

for running various instances of hungry wonderful plugins like neve1081,

1U external rack (or any boxform) link to PCIe card (or modern PMCIA card for laptop) is for me the only solution ...

in an other topic, i suggested an optional remote linkable to the futur nexgen UAD rack,

bulls hit

petersueco said:
Ok. I know waht you want. Is this:

This box houses four UAD-1 legacy PCI cards and is connected to the back plate of the new UAD-2 PCIe (with 4 MPACT chips) fourt times the power of the old cards.

That would be a Happy Christmas !!!!

Peter Holmquist
Yes yes I love it. But why no firewire?

jrankin

I don't think it is clear that firewire is the future. Gigabit ethernet and PCIe (with version 2 coming in intel chipsets in 2007) have to be candidates. Both would support external racks of DSP equipment and PCIe would handle latency issues and multiple high bandwidth connections better than firewire.

jrankin

I'm not completely convinced by you writing ethernet off Dan. For those of us who want to run external DSP systems it is probably time we looked at how servers run multiple ethernet connections and we could have an ethernet channel dedicated to each DSP \"service\". My money would be on PCIe evolution though.

Koed

Sorry Jrankin,

Have to agree with Studio 201.
Ethernet is not a good choice for these kind of connections.
It's not even on the short list for these applications.
Ethernet is very messy, large overheads, too many layers and so many buffers you'll be writing latency with capital letters.
Great for large chuncks of data, not so great for fast or accurate communication.

I do work with large computer networks and when speed is paramount we'll use direct fiber connections, which are in fact extensions of the PCI bridge.

Fundy

Established Member
Ethernet seems to be the choice of Waves and Muse Research, as these units can be used to distribute plug-ins between different nodes. Firewire 2 may be an ideal compromise as it runs 800Mb/s (100MB/s). That's more than enough bandwidth to run these sort of plug-ins.

I've never seen an IEEE1394b setup on the PC yet though. OK I found an adaptor on the net for €40. Still maybe a newer board will already have that functionality.

mBlaze

Bandwidth

It's impossible to run 4 UAD-1's over firewire end of story. Anyone who owns a Powercore firewire will understand the bandwidth limitations.

The new mac pro's hang firewire off a legacy 33MHz (shared bus) which hangs off PCIe.

PCIe, Expresscard & Infiniband (or whatever the one cable version of PCIe is gonna finally be called) is the future. High bandwidth over one cable with one stable driver for all.

Here's a good bandwidth comparison. PCI Express offers dedicated bandwidth per card/slot (its not shared).

http://www.d-silence.com/feature.php?id=237

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfiniBand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

Firewire: 400Mbit/s
Cardbus: 1066Mbit/s
PCIe/Expresscard: 2.5Gbit/s

afone1977

mBlaze : so true :wink:

Fundy

Established Member
OK then isn't going to cost as much as a Magma chassis with PCi-E slots then, which also needs a new card installed in your PC. If you have a cost no objective world then that may be feasible.

Koed

Fundy said:
Ethernet seems to be the choice of Waves and Muse Research, as these units can be used to distribute plug-ins between different nodes..
Have you ever tried FX teleport?
It's a great little utility and it rocks when you want to run virtual instruments on another computer over ethernet.
But the latency is usualy in the three figure ball park.

UAD Bundle Month