• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

4.6 and New Plugin?!

jimbob

Just read this on Harmony-Central:

\"With the imminent arrival of Windows Vista on January 30th, UA is making a preview release to our UAD users as the industry moves towards 64-bit drivers and operating systems.\" said Mike Barnes, VP of Marketing for Universal Audio Inc.\" This first preliminary release allows our cutting-edge power-users to make the transition early, but as Vista gains momentum and is bundled in OEM PC's starting in February and March 2007, we have planned formal Windows Vista certification in our next release, v4.6 which is scheduled to ship along with a brand new UAD plug-in during late Q1 2007.\"
Any speculations on what this will be?

Awesom-o

I think it will be a faithful recreation of a 1930's Hotpoint washing machine. If you wanted a real one of these babies it would set you back £350.

More useful than a fecking tape emulator, I think you will all agree :lol:

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
You're probably right seeing as that's exactly what they said. ;)

sniper

Established Member
Nightowl said:
Could it possibly be anopther Neve? What other piece of Neve gear would make a great plugin?
My guess would be the 5088 :wink:

Resonant Alien

I think it will be an all-too-real emulation of a lead singer whining that his phones mix doesn't have enough lead vocal in it. There will be a set of filter banks to emulate a wide variety of classic lead singers who exhibited this phenomenon. I've heard they are using a new algorithm to emulate the actual shape and space of a lead singer's vocal chords when they are in full on whine mode - which is quite different than when they are singing normally. This is apparently quite a feat of modern software engineering.

Unfortunately, but appropriately enough, a single instance of the plugin will take all the CPU power of 4 UAD cards, leaving no room for plugins on guitar, bass or drums.

:lol: :lol:

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
jimbob said:
Just read this on Harmony-Central:

"With the imminent arrival of Windows Vista on January 30th, UA is making a preview release to our UAD users as the industry moves towards 64-bit drivers and operating systems." said Mike Barnes, VP of Marketing for Universal Audio Inc." This first preliminary release allows our cutting-edge power-users to make the transition early, but as Vista gains momentum and is bundled in OEM PC's starting in February and March 2007, we have planned formal Windows Vista certification in our next release, v4.6 which is scheduled to ship along with a brand new UAD plug-in during late Q1 2007."
Any speculations on what this will be?
The obvious is Tape Emulation, but I'm still not convinced the UAD-1 system is powerful enough to run a decent emulation.

Mind you the 33609 uses 66% of 1 card, so maybe the Tape Emu plug will use 99% of 1 card and is destined for rendering :)

Aw fvck it! who knows. Maybe it is the 1930s hotpoint washing machine after all. :)

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
btw - I live about a mile from the Hotpoint Factory. I'm sure they have one of those models in their product museum. I could nip down there and ask them if they would let me run a few sound sources through it and take some measurements on UA's behalf ;)

BTLG

Established Member
I still maintain that a tape emulation plug is a waste of time. Just get better converters.

2254 maybe?

I still maintain that they need to make a useful channel strip

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
Paul Woodlock said:
Mind you the 33609 uses 66% of 1 card, so maybe the Tape Emu plug will use 99% of 1 card and is destined for rendering :)
Would that bother you? I'm perfectly OK with rendering if the emulation is done well.

Mark Edmonds

Whatever it is, it has probably been in the webzine some time. That narrows it down a little. I'll go for a UA 175 or 176 or something from that Filter article :) Can't lose either way I hope :)

Mark

macmusic78

I love these announcements - makes me feel like christmas is coming...back...again...

Fairlight

Venerated Member
I'd love to see UAD model a Roland VP-330 Vocoder

Maybe a synth 8)

P

jimbob

Eric Dahlberg said:
[quote="Paul Woodlock":3mg91sxm]Mind you the 33609 uses 66% of 1 card, so maybe the Tape Emu plug will use 99% of 1 card and is destined for rendering :)
Would that bother you? I'm perfectly OK with rendering if the emulation is done well.[/quote:3mg91sxm]

I agree 100% with Eric. A tape emulator would be a great type of plugin to render offline, especially if it's only got a few options (tape speed, different machine or tape emulations) and not too many silly ones (wow and flutter, magnetization levels, etc.). However, I do not think the next UAD plugin will be a tape emulator.

I think this new plugin will have something to do with Vista compatibility, since UA is getting signed drivers. You will have to load this new UAD plugin on each track if you want to use any other UA plugins with Vista, as it magically fixes all the new problems Vista creates. It will be called the UAD Debugulator. :lol:

Seriously, though, I'd love some more compressors like a 175!

project

i hope it is something other than an EQ or a compressor.

BTW UAD-1 plug-ins run great under Vista64 here.

UAD Bundle Month