• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

88RS - It's the Great WORKFLOW

Arys Chien

Why do I have to add another thread to the one million \"88RS Great\" ones that are already there?

I don't know. But I just have to.

Last week I recorded an electric guitar track for a demo. (Yeah, PODxt Live. It's just a demo.) Then I inserted a 1081 and it sounded ok.

Earlier on this afternoon, when I was doing vocal compling for this song, the EG track sounded a bit bothering. So I disabled the 1081 and tried using the 88RS.

30 seconds of tweaking. Great result. EG not disturbing the vocal, yet still having its power, and sitting in the mix better than before.

I then tried to duplicate the same setting onto the 1081 and did a level match. They sounded the same.

The question is that, why couldn't I find the same setting when using the 1081?

I found the same thing on eq outboards too. On my friend's Otari console eq, or my Great River EQ-2NV, it's always very fast to find a great result, faster than any other gears \"with mojo\". And, as much as I don't like the sound of the Waves SSL, it was also very fast that I got what I wanted when I was demoing it.

I guess there's something with the channel stripe type of eq that give you a smoooooooth workflow. I really love it.

And of course, the 88RS eq deos sound very good, making it a fundamental mixing tool for me now.

Great work UA! Now give me a better compressor for the 88RS....

just did a drum-mix this morning (five channels: kick, snare, hi-hat, toms, overheads). in the past it took FOREVER to find the right combination of EQs and compressors. with the 88RS it took me 15 minutes and it sounds GREAT.

denny

marQs

Shareholder
Arys Chien said:
I then tried to duplicate the same setting onto the 1081 and did a level match. They sounded the same.

The question is that, why couldn't I find the same setting when using the 1081?

I made similar experiences when trying to reduce dsp load by using the 88rs instead of the big bombs... the 88-eq can be well matched to the sound of its "big brothers".
Though I have to say, for me its easier at the moment to find the right settings by using the plugs I have usually used till here and now. The Neve strip's EQ behaves indeed very similar to what I know from the Soundcraft MH3 (which I'm working live with from time to time) - sorry if this comparison may not fit that well (it's not a neve, ok) but that's the best analog board I touched for years :wink:

Pigcat

Sorry to hijack this thread...

I have no doubt the 88RS sounded great since there're so many people praising it (I have not heard it yet). But what puzzled me was, I rarely come across words like \"great workflow\" and \"console sound\" when the Waves SSL was first launched, even until now? :?:

Plec

Venerated Member
Great work UA! Now give me a better compressor for the 88RS....
Hey Arys,
Stop bitching about the comp.. it's killer!! 8)
Seriously, it's the best all-round compressor I've had the pleasure to use. Sure the 1176, LA2/3, 33609 give a more recognizable sound that I pretty much seem to prefer when comparing. But I find it unmatched for doing those small quick dynamic fixes that don't take a lot of character or DSP to do, and just that totally super compressed over the top sound I really dig!

IMHO, using the EQ like this \"strip wise\" just makes you work with it more like an instrument. I don't know why that is really, but I have the same experience on the SSL. It's just a workflow thing. I think you tend to go through the bands just tweaking and listening more than you are thinking about what you're going to do. That's what's great about non-switchable freq. designs. When you are tweaking a freq you might start to bother your mind with \"no, that's not the right freq, so which one is it *switch**switch*\" and that takes attention away from listening. I think that's a big part of it and also why I find it easier to get great results in the high-end with the 1073 rather than with the 1081.

bedhoe

Pigcat said:
Sorry to hijack this thread...

I have no doubt the 88RS sounded great since there're so many people praising it (I have not heard it yet). But what puzzled me was, I rarely come across words like "great workflow" and "console sound" when the Waves SSL was first launched, even until now? :?:
I know what you mean. But it really is that much better. Thats it.

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
I finally had a chance to play with the new stuff!!!

Well, I'm starting to think all you all are fk'n CRAZY! :eek: :lol:
This thing ain't that hot.... :roll:
The Gate motorboats...... :evil: not as good as the one in C4.
The Compressor is so so....
EQ is kinda cool... :)
Not too stoked on the Low Pass... :|
It's cool I guess, but no Holy Grail!!!

I liked the LA3A a lot...

Arys Chien

Do one mix with it, Scott, do one mix.

What you said was the same as what I said when I just \"demoed\" the 88RS without \"working with it\" yet.

To Plec,

I can't compress as much as I do on the L/C of the 88RS, as I can on the 1176LN or LA3A. That's why I'm \"bitching\", for it's ability, not if it's got a \"mojo sound\" or not. The compressor on the 88RS really generates the \"plastic sound of plug-ins\" more easily than the 1176LN or LA3A. Otherwise it IS a very versitile little tool.

Macc

Established Member
It's definitely not a razzamatazz 'WOW listen to that' type deal like the other Neve plugs, and you'd be mistaken if you expected it that.

It just makes mixes sound good, fast. Very good, and very fast.

I spent a large number of hours mixing with this thing yesterday and it just makes mixes happen soooooooooooooo fast. Not spectacular in its own right, but it's like the glue that holds all those vintage units etc etc together. It does feel more like mixing on a desk when every channel has the same strip on it, and the sound benefits overall (as well as the character it imparts).

The compressor is pretty nice sounding and works well on almost everything, but it's not my fave bit. It's still a very useful thing for general level control on 'non-money' tracks :) I agree with Arys Chien in that it can get a little plastic-y, but I found that getting some character in (maybe just gaining the signal through 33609) before it hits the 88 means the sound has some character and also that smoothness.

My fave bit is the way the knobs handle. So smooth and yet precise when you need it. Awesome. The eq is an absolute JOY to work with.

UAD Bundle Month