• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

96k problem - SX help needed

TomW

Hi guys,

tracked some stuff to HD @ 96k last week and just brought the files into SXv1.06 for mixing. Set my project up for 96k and noticed the waveform generation was taking ages....checked my CPU meter and its not showing any activity on the bar but the red light is flashing on and off.

I guess its spiking. This happens in any blank project or the one with the files when set to 96k. I've used the machine to mix 88.2k stuff but not 96 before. I checked and SX performs fine set to anything between 44.1 and 88.2k, so its just 96k thats causing trouble.

The audio won't playback and waveforms do not generate but the system does not appear slow in any other way. My Lynx2 makes no difference set to max or min buffer sizes.

Any ideas? Is this a known problem - couldn't delve anything up at cubase.net and was going to post over there but forgot my login and it appears you now need to have your dongle ID to hand (been years since I've been over there). Not near my DAW now as I'm dashing off to holland this week and would like to get a handle on this asap - clients are waiting, anyhoo....

seeing as there's normally some guys here with good knowledge, what gives? Maybe this is punishment for still being on SXv1?

System info:
Asus A8V-Deluxe
AMD 3000+ 939
1GB GEIL Ram
Matrox G550 (IIRC)
1x UAD-1
1x Lynx2A
300GB various drives
SX v1.06
iLok w URS A,N,S & Mix
Princeton SP2016
various plugs etc

Cheers Tom

Tarekith

I've never seen that before, though I use 3.1. I think it's time to switch, the updates to SX have only made things better and more stable, there's no reason to NOT upgrade to the latest version, unless cost is a factor.

TomW

Cost is a factor and I've felt uneasy about pouring money into anything computer based (let alone steinberg) lately. Not that its much to upgrade (£99 I think).

I guess I should. Trouble is I have no faith that it will actually work better when I upgrade to v3. I feel like the worlds unluckiest DAW user and get pissed off at the slightest problem now. Is it wrong to demand a product that just works. I mean if you spent £1500 on an analogue compressor and it would only work with specific other pieces of gear in your studio, slowed the system down etc - you'd be pissed! Especially if it came with no moneyback guarantee and no detailed warning/instruction on the box. Hardware manufacturers would be forced out of business in no time if they did that - it would unacceptable.

Why do we settle for less in a software system? I wanted more UADs too but have not added as its an old card - not THAT powerful and PCI slots are dead. We've been waiting far too long for a new device and of course they'll be all the teething troubles when that arrives.

I know its all about the setup and you need to know what you're doing when you DAW build but I'm no novice and spent a lot of time researching my last machine - in fairness its been damn good and plenty powerful. Until this.

The time it takes to research/trouble shoot this stuff is fukkin ridiculous - I mean I'd much rather be mixing, we're sound engineers not computer technicians. Blah blah I know you need to know the computer stuff and I do ok but you wouldn't expect a computer tech to know anything about recording would you - why is it we have to know every-fukking-thing but get paid the least out of all high skill professions? And we're ok with that - like \"we must suffer to be good\" or something....

OK sorry rant over.

I suppose I'll have to upgrade.
8)

Seriously though when is someone going to design an OS that is specific to their software, an OS that gurantees stability with Nuendo/SX or whatever. Then all manufacturers develop for that platform and specific DAW machines. Hell I don't care if we all have the same motherboard and CPU - it will level the playing field. Screw choices I want something that works right out of the box and is a good investment.

Who's fed up of investing the little money they do have into things that may or may not work? Its like russian roulette everytime you add to the system, its like that old childrens game - bucking bronco or whatever its called, adding stuff until the steed frickin' explodes!!!

Ugh I'm not bitter! :evil:

If anyone has anything to add on the 96k issue I'd be super pleased.
Cheers Tom

Big Harpe

Go to the Project Settings pull down and set the song to five minutes (or whatever your song is) and Apply. The default is 30 minutes, and VST instrument also will work better if the project length is lowered. This also applies to VST Instruments and freezing them in SX 2.x>

It takes forever to freeze a VSTi with a thirty minute project as compared to a minute or so with one that is set to 5 minutes total.

TomW

Hmm thanks bigharpe I'll try that and see if that works....didn't realise that could be adjusted - I suppose that suggests sx dynamically assigns CPU to project length or something??

I was about to R8Brain everything and lump it....

Cheers Tom

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
TomW said:
Trouble is I have no faith that it will actually work better when I upgrade to v3.
Personally, I didn't do the V3 upgrade, either, even though the Play Order Track & Inplace Editor are damn useful. Then again, I've got full PDC already, something you're missing out on. How do you put up with that torture???

Seriously though when is someone going to design an OS that is specific to their software, an OS that gurantees stability with Nuendo/SX or whatever. Then all manufacturers develop for that platform and specific DAW machines. Hell I don't care if we all have the same motherboard and CPU - it will level the playing field. Screw choices I want something that works right out of the box and is a good investment.
You sound like you're ready to buy a Mac. I agree, however, that companies need to take some responsibility for spec'ing machines. They all have targets they aim for - machines they use to develop & test on - so why not just advertise this information to customers & save everyone some trouble & heart ache? Digidesign is the only company I know of that does this in the PC world.

Eric Dahlberg

Big Harpe said:
Go to the Project Settings pull down and set the song to five minutes (or whatever your song is) and Apply. The default is 30 minutes, and VST instrument also will work better if the project length is lowered.
Thanks, I missed this, too!

TomW

Eric said:
Personally, I didn't do the V3 upgrade, either, even though the Play Order Track & Inplace Editor are damn useful. Then again, I've got full PDC already, something you're missing out on. How do you put up with that torture???
Eric!!! Tell me about it, its kind of a pain but I've got used to no PDC over all these years, so I guess I've developed a mixing style that works as second nature, I don't have any trouble with UAD stuff, only S.I.R if I use it....my last few mixes have been mainly URS, Sonalksis etc anyway.

SX3 has some nice features, but I'm starting to really dislike the SX interface (old & new), tried samplitude - not sure about that either...really like the PT interface and neutral apprearance, its not cluttered at all. I love not having eqs in the mixer until I want them for example....SX gets so convoluted...

I think DP looks stunning at the moment but can't afford a MAC...and am seriously considering investing in a soundscape system this coming year which of course is PC only.....but a G5 and a couple of Apogee Ensembles looks super enticing too.

-Tom

TomW

Report:

Tried the project length setting, mine was set to 10min already and my recordings are 10min too....setting it to a larger or smaller value did not solve the issue...

Tom

Eric Dahlberg

TomW said:
Tell me about it, its kind of a pain but I've got used to no PDC over all these years, so I guess I've developed a mixing style that works as second nature
Agreed, I got pretty good with getting around PDC issue when I was using SX 1, too. However, now that I'm away from that, I personally wouldn't want to go back.

I love not having eqs in the mixer until I want them for example....SX gets so convoluted...
This is a bit confusing to me. What mixer view do you use? Are you referring to the EQ's being on the individual channel settings? I'm under the impression most people simply keep the EQ page hidden.

TomW

I don't get all that big meter shizzle on SX1 :cry:

What I mean is - the mixer, I love how the pro tools mixer is in one window...I'm not keen on the individual channel window in SX - I never deliberatly open it and wish it didn't exist along with the EQ etc etc but somehow it gets in my way!! Its a waste of space. Ideally I'd like SX to have a mixer window like that of PT with just inserts and sends...no EQ or extra pop-up window. One thing I like about the PT mixer is the sends views and the pop up window (its appropriate!!) for a full fader plus send pan ...easy - saves using two of the valuable 8 sends on mono channel to send to a stereo group ala SX1....oh and copy plugin settings from within the mixer without having to save .fxps etc.

The inspector is god and along with the mixer is enough in my opinion, the individual channel window and EQ are legacies left from VST world IMO...at least they dumped the dynamics and made it a separate plugin - out of the way.

I see no reason for the EQ, make in a seperate plug for post guys and give us a couple more inserts with drag-a-bility...

Oh and I wish I could use text entry into plugins when 'always on top' is active....little niggles I know...

Anyway I'll shut up now - basically I wish the look was more streamlined...its gets tiring after a while. PT has that down pat.

Tom

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
TomW said:
I'm not keen on the individual channel window in SX
Just don't use it...

saves using two of the valuable 8 sends on mono channel to send to a stereo group ala SX1
You can pan sends in v.3; not sure about earlier ones.

Oh and I wish I could use text entry into plugins when 'always on top' is active
Just click on the area below the plug-in window title bar and then you can enter text in any field of the plug-in you like.

UAD Bundle Month