• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Adding Ram to boost a single UAD card

tonetripper

So this is my first post and I have a question for all you out there in UAD land. I'm a registered owner of Cubase SX3 and Live 5 and have been using a variety of plugins over the years to produce, perform, and record music with a friend of mine and recently purchased a UAD-1 card. I started by working on a heavily laden FX processed mix while running Live as a rewire primarily on the main mix bus with three plugins I got with my flexi pak.

I was using the plate 140, fairchild, and precision limiter on the back-end of the mix and was pushing pretty hard with the Nigel and the phaser on a drum machine Microtonic Utonic in real time. Basically as inserts. I noticed that my CPU in the performance meter was at 95% and my memory (RAM's at 1 G in P4 2.6 HT PC) was at 35, so I upped the RAM and added another gig. When I loaded in the RAM I noticed no change to the performace of the UAD performance meter especially in the RAM percentage which was where I was hoping to see it.

Is there something that I should have done to be able to get better performance out of my desktop with the upped RAM? I tried to reload the driver for the card, but no change.

Just wondering if I should take the 200 dollars of RAM back if the change is not there.

I use an M-Audio 1010 as my main A-D converter.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
The RAM meter on the UAD performance meter shows how much of the on-board UAD-1 RAM you are using, not your computer's RAM usage.

tonetripper

Ya, but it didn't affect my CPU load either and that was running about 50 percent. I just thought I might see some kind of change. Maybe this is more of a cubase question. Thank you for that info.

If the moderator wants to lose this thread you may do so at will. I won't be hurt.

jcat

You won't see any significant change to the way the UAD-1 performas after adding extra RAM.

It's essentually just a DSP with it's own memory that sits there doing it's thing, even if you upgrade your CPU it won't change the reading on the UAD-1 meter...

What you need, is anpther UAD-1...

:)

Cheers,

jcat

saemskin

Established Member
back when I had only 1 card, a single Plim and Fairchild instance was enough to push past 50%. Now I have three and instances to burn :)

get another card, the differene a second card makes is pretty huge

rydan

I would say ram above 1GB is a waste in a DAW, as long as you don't run soft samplers (in which case a single sound may well eat 1GB...). Most plugs are heavy in raw number crunching, but not that heavy in memory useage. As suggested, your best way to increase performance (if you like UAD that is) is to get a second card. Two cards makes a big difference compared to one (since most heavy plugs, such as reverbs and master effects will only run as a single instance (on a send or the master fx bus), say those eats about 50% of your card, leaving 50% for track FX. Add another card, and you suddenly get 150% for track FX with the same send and master effects, which makes a HUGE difference...)

JamesR

Hi Tonetripper, welcome to the forum...

The CPU load shown in the UAD meter app is the load on the UAD-1 card's own CPU, not that of the host computer.

likewise, the memory shown is that of the memory onboard the UAD-1 card.

currently the only way to instance more UAD plug ins is to buy another UAD card.

personally, i have two and enjoy much greater flexibility, without having to worry about how much power a plug consumes, but one should do you just fine for now, until you get addicted to the UAD!

enjoy your new plugs!

James.

jcat

JamesR said:
Hi Tonetripper, welcome to the forum...

The CPU load shown in the UAD meter app is the load on the UAD-1 card's own CPU, not that of the host computer.

likewise, the memory shown is that of the memory onboard the UAD-1 card.

currently the only way to instance more UAD plug ins is to buy another UAD card.

personally, i have two and enjoy much greater flexibility, without having to worry about how much power a plug consumes, but one should do you just fine for now, until you get addicted to the UAD!

enjoy your new plugs!

James.

Isn't that what I said? But then you rit it so much more nicerer than me!

:wink:

Cheers,

jcat

UAD Bundle Month