• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

    Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

    Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

    1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

    2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

    Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

    Lastly, please be respectful.

Advice.. Decision making time

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
I currently own and use a FF800.. I need 8 more channels of conversion. First thing on my list is the Apogee Rosetta 800. Only problem is, I don't have the preamps to support it. So here was my next idea.

A Mackie 800R and a Apogee Big Ben. Which ever I choose, I'll be spending the around the same amount of money. I figure, I'll be buying a Big Ben one day or Rosetta 800, so why not get thee new MAckie 800 Onyx & BB... make some money on projects(with the added 8 tracks) then buy a Rosetta 800, sell my ff800 for a HDSP 9652 and something else (mic) and bang...
:idea:

What are your suggestions...?

What would you do if you were in my situation?

killer..

thanx
Scott
 

BTLG

Established Member
I'd save up and go Lavry. They sound much better than the apogee stuff. Then I'd just rent mic pres as needed until you can buy some.
 

marQs

Shareholder
What about an RME Octamic D? Also I was told the Presonus Digimax line sounds very good (not heard it yet). Ok, that's a lower price range and maybe not at all what you're after.
I'm in the situation to look for a hi quality 16 channel mic-pre extension for my FF800 and I can hardly imagine an audio-situation that asks for more than these devices provide. And they're pretty affordable compared to Apogee.
 

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
BTLG said:
I'd save up and go Lavry. They sound much better than the apogee stuff. Then I'd just rent mic pres as needed until you can buy some.
Hell ya...
I hear ya! But LAvry gets up to 4800 for AD 8channels on CON. Plus I get a sweet deal on Apogee gear. Thanx bud.. :)



S
 

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
marQs said:
What about an RME Octamic D? Also I was told the Presonus Digimax line sounds very good (not heard it yet). Ok, that's a lower price range and maybe not at all what you're after.
I'm in the situation to look for a hi quality 16 channel mic-pre extension for my FF800 and I can hardly imagine an audio-situation that asks for more than these devices provide. And they're pretty affordable compared to Apogee.
Yah.. your right.. 16 tracks is good for me.. I can't think of anytime when I needed 24 at once. The RME stuff is kind of ?? well??? I don't know. I've never A/B'ed an ONyx pre and RME. I'd imagine they are pretty close. I have had great luck using Onyx pres, in the past. I'm not fawned of (Mackie) boards, though.

The 800r has some great features and I planned on getting a BigBen some day... sooooo?

DAMN!!

You guys just added more fuel to my fire.

thanx
scott
 

marQs

Shareholder
Due to lack of current budget, I'm even working working with the Behringer ADA 8000 devices :oops: As long as it's Rock'n'Roll nobody ever complains... the quality RME provides should be more than just ok if you like the mic pres of the fireface I guess (and I like them). And in respect of AD-conversion there's nothing I miss here also, so what?
Buying ultra hi-end equipment is not even worth a thought for me as long as a huge percentage of my customers isn't even able to tune their drums properly without my help.... 8)

RME, Mackie, Presonus might be comparable in quality here, though each might sound different. They're all worth a test before decisions are made.
 

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
marQs said:
Due to lack of current budget, I'm even working working with the Behringer ADA 8000 devices :oops: As long as it's Rock'n'Roll nobody ever complains... the quality RME provides should be more than just ok if you like the mic pres of the fireface I guess (and I like them). And in respect of AD-conversion there's nothing I miss here also, so what?
Buying ultra hi-end equipment is not even worth a thought for me as long as a huge percentage of my customers isn't even able to tune their drums properly without my help.... 8)

RME, Mackie, Presonus might be comparable in quality here, though each might sound different. They're all worth a test before decisions are made.
ada8000.. no need for the blush.. I used to have one.. Worked great, has TI chips and sounds as good as things twice the price.

I agree about the high priced stuff. That's one of the big reason for working at a Music Store. I hate paying consumer prices. Spoiled
 

marQs

Shareholder
imdrecordings said:
That's one of the big reason for working at a Music Store. I hate paying consumer prices. Spoiled
...my parents had one, when I was younger... 8)

I'm even satisfied that far with ADA8000 when it comes to recording only. They provide cheap extra channels when needed (drums etc.) while most stuff (vocals, bass, guitars, keys...) go directly through the Fireface preamps.
I just don't feel so well with it in a livegig recording situation - there my recording rack is used as a splitter (1:1 through routing in total mix), so the ADA preamps render any hi quality FOH desk preamps useless, which is a not so suitable solution in many cases.
Couldn't find an affordable multichannel splitter yet. Do you know some stuff?
 

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
key word being \"affordable \". Give me a couple of days...
I'll see what I can come up with.

I was thinking about getting another ada8000, jut for trigger. I got a bunch of triggers. When I do drums, I'll trigger every drum as well as mic the kit. Get a good sound wit the mics, but if I need something extra or really get things isolated/consistant... I'LL DROP Drumagog 100% wet, on the triggers and mix them in with the regular mics or replace everything.. Just plug the triggers straight into the pre and crank it.

WORKS BETTER THAN STRAPPING D-Gog on the Mic'ed track.

I'll let you know about the splitter.


Scott.
 

marQs

Shareholder
imdrecordings said:
I'll let you know about the splitter.
Thanx! The low-budget ones available here are about $1500 per 12 channels, while I'd like to have 24 :?

Triggering plus micing drums is a nice thing. Don't ask how much time goes into preparing drumtracks for Apptriga (which is my Drumagoge equivalent). Couldn't find a way around adding samples yet, though I've been dreamin' of. Very few drums do it through the walls of sound guitar players generate nowadays...
 
UAD Bundle Month
Top