• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Am I The Only Guy Who Got The DeEsser?

Suntower

Established Member
Well, with the voucher, it was free. :mrgreen:

I got it because I recently worked with an ME who showed me a neat trick for making cymbals fit a bit better when some hits are a bit loud.... a de-esser. Of course, his de-esser is a Weiss, but it actually does work for hi-hats or crash cymbals that are peaking forward without taking away their impact.

(I did try it on -my- pathetic voice and I have to say, it doesn't seem to do much good. Probably driver error.)

Any other good apps now that I have it?

---JC

jeff_free69X

Established Member
Suntower - i'm curious if you have the Precision MulitBand (which I do)and if the same can be accomplished with it? (I'm demo-ing the PMax at the moment; I had already spent my voucher on the NEve 88, the D-es may have to wait till the next promo - unless someone can get me excited about it :)

LFranco

Venerated Member
I'm passing on the de-esser because I've also got the PMB and it does the job very well, as does the 88RS in ducking mode, so I didn't see the need for it.

sniper

Established Member
I got the deesser \"for free\" too.
So far it has worked beautifully on lead and backing vox, as well as on a telecaster that had too much of ear piercing 3,7 khz.

I'm sure it'll work well on OH's too.

Now i'm trying to figure out why i have this urge for the neve 33609. I demoed it twice to but got none the wizer..

Plec

Venerated Member
I haven't bought any of them yet... but I will get the DeEsser for sure. I did a couple of shoot-outs with it and it always came out sounding the best. It's really really great!!!

Suntower

Established Member
Thanks for the idea on the guitar. On -my- voice it simply made the attacks more 'cushy'... It didn't really deESS.

I've tried using PMB for such things, but I always just come back to manually creating fades as needed.

---JC

sniper said:
I got the deesser "for free" too.
So far it has worked beautifully on lead and backing vox, as well as on a telecaster that had too much of ear piercing 3,7 khz.

I'm sure it'll work well on OH's too.

Now i'm trying to figure out why i have this urge for the neve 33609. I demoed it twice to but got none the wizer..

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
I got it for free, too, without even trying it, though, as it was the least redundant plug-in for me that I could get for free. I did notice something, though: even though DSP usage increases as expected when the Split mode is activated, it doesn't decrease when it's turned off. :(

cowudders

why did you sue the de-esser?

bysbox001

Established Member
Fundy said:
I u ed the de-e er on this po t.
:lol:

Seriously, I got it too. I have a vocal track I am working that I will use it on.

Dan Duskin

Established Member
imdrecordings said:
cowudders said:
why did you sue the de-esser?
Because it didn't work as advertised.
It didn't take away the "Sssss'es", it merely changed them to an "F".
That would be the cause of too much high-shelf filtering (too high in frequency). You should try it in full-band mode, or split band mode with the filter set to a lower frequency and tighter Q (not shelf). But personally, I would use full-band mode!

bulls hit

It's not easy to get excited about a de-esser. I got the Boss chorus thingy for free instead - at least you can get funky and abuse it in the right circumstances. It's hard to imagine de-esser abuse sounding cool

UAD Bundle Month