• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

AMS DMX

UA_User

Not much discussion or youtube etc about this one out there. Any users care to chime in? Anything special about this that can't be done with other plugins?

Last edited:

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
Not much discussion or youtube etc about this one out there. Any users care to chime in? Anything special about this that can't be done with other plugins?
We did a Q&A when it came out that's in the archive. It, and the RMX, are both great, classic plugins. I use the RMX more, but mostly because I have a method I use that I kind of built around a different delay that doesn't lend itself to changing the plugin.

UA User

We did a Q&A when it came out that's in the archive. It, and the RMX, are both great, classic plugins. I use the RMX more, but mostly because I have a method I use that I kind of built around a different delay that doesn't lend itself to changing the plugin.
What’s your “different delay”?

chrisso

Venerated Member
In hardware it's been a studio standard for decades. I think because it has a lot of features and a cleaner sound than older delays.
I haven't used the plug-in version.

d0gmA

If you run the Lion through the ox stomp on the Randy preset into the dmx on the default preset it instantly gives you the Blizzard of Oz sound :D

flandybob

Established Member
I use it mainly for lead vocals in dual delay panned L/R. I will sync to the tempo of the song, find the appropriate subdivision, switch off the tempo sync and adjust the ms +/- 5 to 10 ms on each side. Gives a subtle widening effect that works really nice for me.
You can see CLA doing this with the hardware on the mix with the masters video where he mixes the latest greenday single

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member
Both RMX and DMX are ‘instant 80s’ for me.
Fantastic on arpeggiated guitars and piano/keys/synth.
Keyboard “stabs” (faux horns). Clean, cutting rhythm guitars. Extra present percussion.
Im sure you can get that sound with a combination of other generic plugs (delay, chorus, reverb) but the AMS stuff gets it quick.

Last edited:

UA_User

When I heard 2 seconds of RMX, it was instantly put on the "must have" list for me... knew the sound right away. Kind of funny that once upon a time there was a reactionary movement against these sorts of sounds... Anyone else remember when people would call things "overproduced" and such?

I'd never heard of the DMX, however.

Gary D

When I heard 2 seconds of RMX, it was instantly put on the "must have" list for me... knew the sound right away. Kind of funny that once upon a time there was a reactionary movement against these sorts of sounds... Anyone else remember when people would call things "overproduced" and such?

I'd never heard of the DMX, however.
I used to regularly record in a studio about 30 miles from Burnley, England with both the RMX and the DMX. That was my first encounter with either. Crazily, I assumed that these great units were a very local thing :) . Then I discovered I was recognising and using the same units just about everywhere.

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
I use it mainly for lead vocals in dual delay panned L/R. I will sync to the tempo of the song, find the appropriate subdivision, switch off the tempo sync and adjust the ms +/- 5 to 10 ms on each side. Gives a subtle widening effect that works really nice for me.
You can see CLA doing this with the hardware on the mix with the masters video where he mixes the latest greenday single
This is similar to what I do. I use the H-Delay, typically.

NakedBro69

DMX is the shit. For my tastes, it seems to have captured some real mojo from the original unit. For all the really 'out there' type stuff, I think there are modern plugins which do it a little better. But, if you're looking for some real nice subtle sheen on sounds, DMX is worth demoing. I typically use it for the Phil Collins effect, but I think it sounds great as a chorus/widener/slap in general.

I think the reason it's less popular (especially among younger producers) is because the interface is pretty busy, the layout is kind of strange, and some of the terminology is 'dated' by Gen Z standards. I don't think that's a diss on UAD or AMS...it's simply just a generational difference. It's not the last UAD plugin I've purchased, but it's definitely the last one I was actually excited about.

UAD Bundle Month