Any rumors on updates to apollo x6 & x8?

bugscoe

I need to get a new audio interface and have my eyes set on the apollo x6 or x8. Have there been any rumors on these getting updated anytime soon? Would hate to buy one and then have a new and updated version get released.

Thanks!

mixacias

Nothing official yet. The X Apollo's have been out since 2018, which was less than 1 year after I got my 8p in 2017. I'm waiting for the next version to be released before buying anything.

Mengelking

Established Member
I need to get a new audio interface and have my eyes set on the apollo x6 or x8. Have there been any rumors on these getting updated anytime soon? Would hate to buy one and then have a new and updated version get released.

Thanks!
Does it need to be brand new? If not, an x6 or 8 would likely hold its value decently if you wait for a good deal on a used one.

Clbraddock

The X16 I bought recently was a B-stock for $2,600.00 (and with a free Sphere DLX!). I dont think I would have paid $3,999.00 for one, but figured I could flip this one for close to what I paid if I ever needed to. Plus, I needed the i/o and it was such a good deal.

I think high end interfaces have come pretty close to maxing out the performance per price point at this point. Symphony mkii came out in 2016. Lynx Hilo came out in 2012! Lynx Aurora N came out in 2017. Dangerous AD+ came out in 2017. Those are all still considered top tier. I dont think you would see an improvement in conversion on Apollos unless the price point went up (I think the Apollo is already competitive with the ones I mentioned, but they are all more expensive).

I think it is kind of like computers or cell phones - there was a time where there were huge leaps forward every year or two, but the days of needing to buy a new iphone or new computer every year are pretty much in the past. I think same goes for converters, but perhaps even more so. The ADC/DAC chips already exceed what we can hear. So, I think any improvements now are mostly coming from changes to the analog side of the converters. The analog tech hasn't really changed much in decades - just depends how much you want to spend for how clean you can get the analog side.

The only worthwhile change I could really envision would be giving us ARM based on-board processing. Im not so sure UA is interested in going in that direction though.

Last edited:

bugscoe

Does it need to be brand new? If not, an x6 or 8 would likely hold its value decently if you wait for a good deal on a used one.
I'm sure if I jumped in now, it would perfectly suit my needs for years. Just hate that feeling when you dive in with a product and then a new version gets released right afterwards.

scratch17

Venerated Member
I agree.

For example note that used Apollo 8 Quad rack mounts are selling for about $1,500. And you can get a used X6 for close to the same price. And if you buy a new X series rack by December 31, you get a free Sphere mic from UA.

PBGas

Tech is always changing. Nothing you can do about it. Buy, enjoy and make some great music!

rodd

Hall of Fame Member
The X16 I bought recently was a B-stock for $2,600.00 (and with a free Sphere DLX!). I dont think I would have paid $3,999.00 for one, but figured I could flip this one for close to what I paid if I ever needed to. Plus, I needed the i/o and it was such a good deal.

I think high end interfaces have come pretty close to maxing out the performance per price point at this point. Symphony mkii came out in 2016. Lynx Hilo came out in 2012! Lynx Aurora N came out in 2017. Dangerous AD+ came out in 2017. Those are all still considered top tier. I dont think you would see an improvement in conversion on Apollos unless the price point went up (I think the Apollo is already competitive with the ones I mentioned, but they are all more expensive).

I think it is kind of like computers or cell phones - there was a time where there were huge leaps forward every year or two, but the days of needing to buy a new iphone or new computer every year are pretty much in the past. I think same goes for converters, but perhaps even more so. The ADC/DAC chips already exceed what we can hear. So, I think any improvements now are mostly coming from changes to the analog side of the converters. The analog tech hasn't really changed much in decades - just depends how much you want to spend for how clean you can get the analog side.

The only worthwhile change I could really envision would be giving us ARM based on-board processing. Im not so sure UA is interested in going in that direction though.
I agree, the X Apollos as pretty stellar in terms of sound quality. Apart from the arm processing capabilities you mention I can see 32-bit float becoming a big selling point, if not truly a game changer that some are making it out to be. I agree that there are advantages, but it’s also unlikely to drive me to upgrade just for that. More dsp via arm processors would be nice, but probably not a huge deal with everything going native. But we’ll see.

FutureLegends

I agree, the X Apollos as pretty stellar in terms of sound quality. Apart from the arm processing capabilities you mention I can see 32-bit float becoming a big selling point, if not truly a game changer that some are making it out to be.
That would probably need a rewrite of the UAD plug-ins? In which case I think it’s unlikely.

Other than that, if they are able to use the port to Apple Silicon to run the plug-ins on ARM-processors on the interfaces they might go that route. But they would probably not go ARM until the majority of their plug-ins are available. Otherwise they’re stuck with the old SHARCs for another generation of interfaces. Maybe they will offer DSP and non-DSP versions? Or rackmount VOLTs…

Another thing to consider is that the Apollos have so far always been backward compatible with older models. And you can mix and match. A move to ARM would most likely change that.

bugscoe

I agree.

For example note that used Apollo 8 Quad rack mounts are selling for about $1,500. And you can get a used X6 for close to the same price. And if you buy a new X series rack by December 31, you get a free Sphere mic from UA.
Oh! Was not aware of this.

PBGas

And you can get a used X6 for close to the same price. And if you buy a new X series rack by December 31, you get a free Sphere mic from UA.
Where are you seeing this? I'm not seeing that anywhere......

Grievous Angel

I agree, the X Apollos as pretty stellar in terms of sound quality. Apart from the arm processing capabilities you mention I can see 32-bit float becoming a big selling point, if not truly a game changer that some are making it out to be. I agree that there are advantages, but it’s also unlikely to drive me to upgrade just for that. More dsp via arm processors would be nice, but probably not a huge deal with everything going native. But we’ll see.
Currently, I am not aware that ANY Audio HW Converter Interfaces are 32-bit Float capable? Of course DAW software deals 'cards' in 32-bit float.
What AD/DA converter manufacturers offer a 32-bit float product? If I understood the comment correctly?

Cheers

rodd

Hall of Fame Member
Currently, I am not aware that ANY Audio HW Converter Interfaces are 32-bit Float capable? Of course DAW software deals 'cards' in 32-bit float.
What AD/DA converter manufacturers offer a 32-bit float product? If I understood the comment correctly?

Cheers
Zoom has a couple field recorders (the F3 and F8n) that do it. I think it makes sense for a field recorder, but I figured we'd start to see studio interfaces have it as well. I don't know of any yet though.

Grievous Angel

Who has a good understanding of why 24-bit AD/DA has been the standaard in converter HW?

Why is 32-bit AD/DA so late in coming to the marketplace? Does 'Float' have meaning in HW AD/DA converters? I have always thought of 'float' as in 'floating' decimal point, in which math most often depends on. Do AD/DA HW converters even understand 'float'? I would speculate NO as Bits (HW converters) are like integer whole numbers, i.e., 24.5-bit is not a valid bit value. Again, that's my understanding, and not necessarily accurate.

I have always thought of 32-bit float as being critical in AD/DA internal math (DAW & Plug-ins) such as Summing, Reverb FX details, decay, etc. A great Reverb FX requires more available bits with 'floating point' math, i.e., 'the devil is in the details'! Of course audio AD/DA HW converters is all about 'hearing' the resulting quality improvements. Current technology available (in terms cost vs. audio quality improvement), drives the market place.

Has anyone out there experienced an A/B comparison of 24-bit vs. 32-bit converters? Your opinion?

Cheers

Wellz

Similar situation - got an x4 ordered (free sphere) and debating canceling and waiting till Namm. Wild speculation with no credible info.

RoamingStudio

If you don't foresee needing the extra DSP (so much has gone native), and you're not set on a rack unit, that x4 is nice. You'll have a great unit now and a killer mobile interface should you ever need one.

UAD Bundle Month