• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Anybody got an ETA of Neve 33609C?

Suntower

Established Member
Nope, but it looks MIGHTY juicy.

I've never used the Neve, but I have worked with the SSL buss compressor and I -love- that sound! And if they do the buss comp as well as they've done the EQ, holy mackerel, I'll definitely have to do it.

Karnak's guess?

When's the next audio show? September?

---JC

Plec

Venerated Member
Ohhh no... news flash. The SSL buss compressor is no good!!! Bob Katz said in a thread on gearslutz that the SSL buss is no good 'cause it sounds mushy.

He's the man, just like Charles Dye!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

G

i cant wait for the xp64 support that comes along with this next release!
and i will probably want the compressor :)

h4nc0

Plec said:
Ohhh no... news flash. The SSL buss compressor is no good!!! Bob Katz said in a thread on gearslutz that the SSL buss is no good 'cause it sounds mushy.
what are you talking about? where? :?

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
How can anyone compare SSL to Neve?
Neve is far better.......

beubbo

Plec said:
h4nc0 said:
Plec said:
what are you talking about? where? :?
Do a search on the mastering forum at gearslutz.
Could you be kind to give us a link, please ?

TIA

I own an Alan Smart C1 (which is supposedly modeled after the SSL main bus off the G console) and it's anything but \"mushy\". It's an outstanding compressor with a very unique and excellent sound. Everyone that's come through my studio and heard it on a sub group or mix has been, well... floored. Maybe it's not for everyone but it's definitely not \"mushy\".

!Q!-Uberzone

lordward

bröselmind said:
I also own a SSL comp and love it on the drum buss. No UAD plugin can give you that sound.
I must agree.... I'm really impressed by this plugin. The stereo image is great, much unlike the UAD 1176 - but then again neither is the hardware - and you can really make a nice "slam" effect on drums. I just did a session last week in another studio with a 4000G+ system. The Quad compressor on this thing is smooth and powerful. I haven't used an SSL console for YEARS but after playing around with the real thing again it's very easy to say that this is definitely NOT a "mushy" sounding compressor. The Waves plugin is a good copy of the real thing. It's not perfect but really makes a nice sound, compared to other plugin in the plugin world.

DW

Cabbage

Hi there,

Is the Neve compressor really similar to the SSL? I thought they were used for different applications, mainly since the Neve does not have the agressive release characteristic that the SSL does.

I would love to use the Neve for slamming up drums, but I don't expect it will do it...

Petter

Fayth

Suntower said:
Nope, but it looks MIGHTY juicy.

I've never used the Neve, but I have worked with the SSL buss compressor and I -love- that sound! And if they do the buss comp as well as they've done the EQ, holy mackerel, I'll definitely have to do it.

Karnak's guess?

When's the next audio show? September?

---JC
Gee...when do we start using our EARS instead of looking at brandnames or repeating other people? A while ago there was a thread about a hardware Neve 33609 clone and nobody replied, possibly because the 33609 wasn't cool enough back then. But now UA is going to make a clone, so it must be cool.

Now this unit is even compared to an SSL...they sound WAY different and if you ask me: The 33609 sounds bigger and fatter than the ssl. The SSl has a nice ' juicy' flavour to it, but doesn't sound as big as the neve.

Anyway, they sound WAY different. And I don't care what Bob Katz thinks of the SSL, for me it works great in some projects and less in others. Just as the Neve does.

Fayth

bröselmind said:
I think it is a question of the price. The Vintech will cost $3500, the UAD $300, so the UAD is in more peoples's price range.
Point taken. I can't afford those € 3500 either btw.

makinghits

not sure what that SSL discussion has to do with it, the Neve sounds nothing like the SSL compressor, mucho rounder and fuller and not as squashy. great 2bus compressor. hope this is coming soon and would be sweet if they make 2 versions as well, one no-compromise and one lo-cpu.

UAD Bundle Month