Apollo Thunderbolt 3 Card using as an card into an pc - mainboard

Hello,

I'm new here and I can't find a clear answer to my question:

Can I use an Apollo Thunderbolt 3 Card (normaly used into an Apollo Rack) to put them into an PCI-Slot at my PC-Mainboard?
I want to use the two Thunderbolt-Plugs then for connection outgoing from my PC.

I have found some different information into the web - some say: yes, that is possible and some say: no, that doesnt work ...

Sorry for my englisch - i try my best.
Best regards, Joerg Hemmerling

rodd

Hall of Fame Member
No they are purpose built. It’s an interesting idea, I don’t even know if the slots are the same or not, but thunderbolt has to be included on the motherboard and chipset to work. You can’t even add a thunderbolt add-on card to an existing pc, it has to be built in.

c3r1c

Venerated Member
You can’t even add a thunderbolt add-on card to an existing pc, it has to be built in.
That's not true. There are many systems and motherboards that allow for an add-on TB card. Just as an example, as far back as the HP Z620, you could buy a TB add-on card. Moving to more modern times, many Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte MBs allow for such add-on cards.

Thank you for your answers.

I have read, that the Apollo Thunderbolt 3 Card also has an "normal" PCI-Bus Connector. I'm not shure if an driver for Windows works with it. The other possibilities (Mainboard with Thunderbolt-Connector or Thunderblt-Header) are known. I have an Apollo Thunderbolt Card "over" and think about the possibility to test that ... but im unsure.

Perhaps has anybody testet that bevor me ... that is my hope. ;)

Best regards, Jörg Hemmerling

rodd

Hall of Fame Member
That's not true. There are many systems and motherboards that allow for an add-on TB card. Just as an example, as far back as the HP Z620, you could buy a TB add-on card. Moving to more modern times, many Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte MBs allow for such add-on cards.
Yes but those are just the riser. The thunderbolt is built into the motherboard. I don’t know why some machines or motherboards shipped without the riser though.

c3r1c

Venerated Member
Yes but those are just the riser. The thunderbolt is built into the motherboard. I don’t know why some machines or motherboards shipped without the riser though.
Again, not true. If you physically look at the card, you'll see the TB chip on the expansion card. That said, there might be some cards/MB combos that are just risers, but I've never seen one like that in the 20+ TB-compatible MBs I've dealt with.

c3r1c

Venerated Member
I have read, that the Apollo Thunderbolt 3 Card also has an "normal" PCI-Bus Connector. I'm not shure if an driver for Windows works with it. The other possibilities (Mainboard with Thunderbolt-Connector or Thunderblt-Header) are known. I have an Apollo Thunderbolt Card "over" and think about the possibility to test that ... but im unsure.
The first thing you need to do is post more information, like what motherboard you have. Without that essential info no one can help you. Additionally, getting TB things to work on Windows usually require a fair bit of tech skill/troubleshooting/time, which is why I usually recommend getting a Mac if you want a pain-free TB experience. That said, if you want to go down this path, you'll need to start with supplying the essential info of your Motherboard model/revision.

rodd

Hall of Fame Member
Again, not true. If you physically look at the card, you'll see the TB chip on the expansion card. That said, there might be some cards/MB combos that are just risers, but I've never seen one like that in the 20+ TB-compatible MBs I've dealt with.
Maybe I am mistaken, do you have a link to one? I’ve never seen one that didn’t require the header on the motherboard to plug into. Some connect to pcie also, but then ones I’ve seen still require that header.

UAD Bundle Month