Apollo X8p + Twin + 2 Adat devices word clock issues

dani3lines

Hello everyone!
I have some issues and doubts about how to connect and configure several devices to my Apolo x8p. I would appreciate it if you could give me a hand please! Let me explain what equipment I have and how I would like to connect it:
Apollo X8p, Apollo Twin Mk2, Heritage Audio Super 8 (8-channel Adat), Arturia Audiofuse 8 Pre (8-channel Adat). My idea is to connect everything via Adat, with the Apollo X8p as the master. The Super 8 directly to the X8p and the Audiofuse to the Twin (that I'm connecting it in cascade mode to the x8p), so I get 16 Channels via Adat plus the 8 analog of the apollo and two more from the twin.
My doubt arises when connecting the BNC cables for the word clock. The Apollo Twin provides synchronization via Thunderbolt, so it doesn't have a BNC port. Should I wire from the Super 8 to the Audiofuse to synchronize both with the entire setup? It would look like this: X8p (Master) -- BNC cable --> Super 8 (Slave) -- BNC cable --> Audiofuse (Slave), and the Apollo Twin connected in cascade with the X8p via Thunderbolt. But considering that the Apollo Twin provides word clock already synchronized with the X8p via Thunderbolt and the Audiofuse is connected via Adat to the Twin, I have serious doubts if this is the correct configuration...
Is this the correct way? Also, should I press the 75ohm Term button on any of the devices if I set it up this way? Do you see any other better way to connect it?
Please HELP! 😓🙏

Neotrope

Established Member
In olden days we used a Big Ben master clock for this kind of thing; probably dirt cheap these days. Not sure that works with your situation, but super useful to clock multiple devices across brands and shenanigans.

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
Hello everyone!
I have some issues and doubts about how to connect and configure several devices to my Apolo x8p. I would appreciate it if you could give me a hand please! Let me explain what equipment I have and how I would like to connect it:
Apollo X8p, Apollo Twin Mk2, Heritage Audio Super 8 (8-channel Adat), Arturia Audiofuse 8 Pre (8-channel Adat). My idea is to connect everything via Adat, with the Apollo X8p as the master. The Super 8 directly to the X8p and the Audiofuse to the Twin (that I'm connecting it in cascade mode to the x8p), so I get 16 Channels via Adat plus the 8 analog of the apollo and two more from the twin.
My doubt arises when connecting the BNC cables for the word clock. The Apollo Twin provides synchronization via Thunderbolt, so it doesn't have a BNC port. Should I wire from the Super 8 to the Audiofuse to synchronize both with the entire setup? It would look like this: X8p (Master) -- BNC cable --> Super 8 (Slave) -- BNC cable --> Audiofuse (Slave), and the Apollo Twin connected in cascade with the X8p via Thunderbolt. But considering that the Apollo Twin provides word clock already synchronized with the X8p via Thunderbolt and the Audiofuse is connected via Adat to the Twin, I have serious doubts if this is the correct configuration...
Is this the correct way? Also, should I press the 75ohm Term button on any of the devices if I set it up this way? Do you see any other better way to connect it?
Please HELP! 😓🙏

There are two ways to do this:

1. x8p WC out to the AudioFuse, then WC out from the AudioFuse to the Heritage WC in with the termination button engaged. Both the AudioFuse and Heritage will be set to WC for their clocking. Apollos will be set to INTERNAL.

2. x8p WC out to the Heritage and ADAT out to the AudioFuse. Heritage will be set to WC (termination button not needed, but fine to have on), and AudioFuse set to ADAT. Apollos will be set to INTERNAL.

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
If you do as Joe posted above (a great way to do it), make sure you do NOT use the terminate function on the Heritage. Any of the three methods will work for you.

Last edited:

dani3lines

Hey! Thank you all so much for your answers and advices. I think I’m going to try @Joe Porto ’s idea, it just looks easier this way. I only have concerns about the Arturia connected to the Adat twin, and receiving WC from the X8p at the same time (from the x8p via BNC cable and from the twin via adat…via thunderbolt from the x8p)…😅 A bit confusing, I don’t know if I’m explaining it correctly.
Is not the WC coming from the x8p though the twin via TB and into the Arturia via adat, the same than the one feeding the Heritage via BNC cable?? In this case it wouldn’t be necessary to connect the arturia BNC cable, am I right??? 🤔
Thanks again for the help! 🙏🏻

Joe Porto

Hall of Fame Member
Arturia ADAT is sending audio out to the Twin…it’s a one way street, so it can’t receive clock into its ADAT out. So long as you set Arturia and Heritage to WC as clock source, you’ll be fine. Set Apollo to internal in UAD software settings and Twin and x8p clock will be handled over TB.

UAD Bundle Month