• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Apple goes Intel ...

G

... wonder how this will effect the UAD1 ... ?

Any UA folks got comments yet?

Cheers
Chris

esencia

Terrible.. I can´t understand this.. I can only imagine that Jobs is going to sell his OsX to the whole intel processors in the world to make a direct competition to Microsoft. Sell software gives more profits than hardware does.. but..

How will Jobs explain this change to Intel after pages and pages of comparisons between PPC vs intel where his G5's were the absolutly winners?

The only thing that I hope.. it´s a new architecture designed between apple and intel.. But please.. I don´t wanna see my powerbook with an \"Pentium inside\" stamp :roll:

Stability is not only software but also, hardware architecture and nowadays.. PPC seems to be the best one. why microsoft have choosen a PPC 3,2 for its new and amazing XBOX??

James, have you received any new info about next intel-apple hardware architecture? will it be a x86 or a new revolucionary processor?

giles117

Well it is just a change in processor. :)

The UAD card is a PCI thing not CPu thing. The software handles the rest. I am sure by the time Apple actually ships a machine (mid 2006) UA will have recompiled their drivers and software for the new Intel based OS X machines.

I am saddened but hey maybe we will get faster updates in speed and we will get those new dual core machines a promised.

Guess IBM just cant keep up.

The Beatsmith

a powerbook with 2ghz dual core centrino (or whatever they have in a year or two) with 6 hours battery life makes me horny

will

i was just going to buy a dual 2gig. now i dont know. whos going to buy a ppc mac now and why would anyone write software for them. ppc macs are going to be obsolete in a year or two or im i over reacting. just when the dust on osx 10 is settling software companies have to again rewrite there software again

giles117

It potentially could piss a lot of developers off, but if Apple is smart they will work lockstep with these 3rd party developers to ensure ease of recompiling their software for OS X on intel.

beal9000

will said:
i was just going to buy a dual 2gig. now i dont know. whos going to buy a ppc mac now and why would anyone write software for them. ppc macs are going to be obsolete in a year or two or im i over reacting. just when the dust on osx 10 is settling software companies have to again rewrite there software again
You're right. I can't see any reason to go out and buy a G5 now as it could an un-upgradable boat anchor very quickly... and I totally agree that there's little incentive for anyone to develop or update software for PPC based Macs at this point.

Intel G5's won't be out for another 2 years and it's gonna take a couple more years to shake out all the kinks and to get all the software companies up and running on the new chips.

So, unless I'm missing something, I don't see a new Mac being a viable purchase until at least 2008-2009. This sucks.

I can see how the move to Intel could benefit Apple in the long run (faster and less expensive computers and all that), but it completely scuttles whatever momentum they've gained in the last year and, for me, puts the brakes on any new Mac purchase.

mersisblue

Ivce been thinking about a new mac

I have a MDD that I have tried upgrading but After ordering the cpu
It didnt work . I called they told me that i have a special model that

doesnt work ( though the ad still says all MDD )

I have looking a G5's though I dont like what Ive read about them .

now that thought is shattered . I hope someone releases a MDD CPU I can

use . Maybe Ill have to buy another G4 to use as a node . We'll see .
I hope I dont have to go PC

Trace

If and when this happens I won't be too upset, maybe just a little sad. As far as the Developers I don't think it will be as hard for them as it may seem. Cubase is cross platform and at one time so was Logic. Which shows that its not THAT hard to accomplish. most of the real work is in getting the Altivec code changed to work on SSE3 or whatever it will be in the future. The jump won't be as hard as it once was in the past.

I don't care what they put inside of the Mac, tho I must admit it would seem strange. I have systems based on all 3 major processors and don't see a problem moving on in the future.

TRACE :)

giles117

Mersis which upgrade did you buy?? Gigadesigns Upgrades WORK. :) everyone else is crap IMO

The Beatsmith

i'd like to swap this single 1.4ghz g4 chip to a dual, somehow, cheaply. then that should last me until the intel thingies come out. the dual 1.25's we pretty decent and this would be even faster. mmm.

can't spend £450 on a cpu though, that's just wrong. if anyone's selling one (or is willing to exchange theirs for a single 1.4ghz + cash) let me know!!

Ninja

I'm as shocked about this as everyone else are. I find it hard to believe that Apple can sustain another architectual shift.

However - For most people I don't think there's reason to panic just yet. Software will be released as double binaries (optimized both for PPC and X86) and I'm sure Apple have thought this through.

We all know that the next version of OS x probably won't be able to run off just any x86 based computer; it will need the standard apple hardware - but in time I believe it will. And choice isn't a bad thing.

I truly love my Apple G5 and god knows how rubbish the overpatched x86 architecture is compared to PPC (speak to any well educated engineer). But let's keep things in perspective. I love os X even more and Logic and my uad-1 even more than that. I'm sure I'd be just as happy running it on anything with more performance.

Hey - is the weblinks to how superior IBM's G5 cpu's are compared to Intel still avaiable? Those would be hillarious if you had them right next to Apple's pressrelease.

giles117

After watching the developers confernece I am not worried. I looks as if apple will still be a proprietary platform in spit of the PROCESSOR.

From what I saw none of the MICROSOFT issues. :)

What is way cool is the developer transition kit is a Powermac g5 with an intel processor. )

So the hardware looks continously promising.

And they never said PPC development would stop. He said they still had great PPC products in the pipeline. :)

F5D

We don't have to worry about the OSX. It will NOT run on any PC. Apple has reported this already. Maybe Intel will build Apple the new motherboards too and they include technology which enables the OSX to run and a PC user cannot buy the same hardware from anywhere. So you have to own a mac if you want to run the OSX.

Many pc users have been waiting for the opportunity to run OSX on their machines after they heard the rumours about apple switching to x86 altough they usually make fun of osx and mac-users. Strange that suddenly the osx is SO much better that they want it too! Those jealous bastards! I know some people who have laughed at me that I bought an expensive machine and now \"they're going to run OSX with their PCs\" but that's not going to happen!

So I can laugh now! \"HAW HAW!\" :lol: :lol: :wink:

Steve would never allow that to happen...

giles117

I totally agree. Let them drool and still have to buy an apple machine.

LOL

What is cool is the developer machine for 999 in a PM G5 shell :D

Man I wish I had become a developer. LOL

mersisblue

giles117 said:
Mersis which upgrade did you buy?? Gigadesigns Upgrades WORK. :) everyone else is crap IMO
giga designs 1.4 dp upgrade

didnt work here

The Beatsmith

wierd.

the MDD's DO require a different chip to the sawtooth and quicksilver towers... they run at 100/133mhz - the mdd's run with the 167 chips with the larger (single) fan

there is no MDD that it doesn't work for man

i'm sure it didn't work, but it must have been a faulty chip or something

anyway, i really want a dual 1.4 - anyone know the cheapest place to get em? anywhere you can get a dual 1.4 for less than 600 dollars? i just find that so hard to swallow when a mac mini (which has HD, gfx card, etc) is much less

mersisblue

The Beatsmith said:
wierd.

the MDD's DO require a different chip to the sawtooth and quicksilver towers... they run at 100/133mhz - the mdd's run with the 167 chips with the larger (single) fan

there is no MDD that it doesn't work for man

i'm sure it didn't work, but it must have been a faulty chip or something

anyway, i really want a dual 1.4 - anyone know the cheapest place to get em? anywhere you can get a dual 1.4 for less than 600 dollars? i just find that so hard to swallow when a mac mini (which has HD, gfx card, etc) is much less
according to them there one model that does not work mine
and I was sent the cpu twice they confirmed it was ok
A sp 1 ghz MDD Fw800 with 133 buss

And there is a post on accelerate your mac with someone who has my model mac saying It didnt work in theirs either

giles117

Wow so this is the one model in a bunch. that bites.

Of course I never had a SP FW800 system so I was not aware of that. I have uopgraded quyicksilvers and rev a MDD's with success. Sorry bout that man.

The engineers at Giga are pretty good. i am sure they are working it out. :)

UAD Bundle Month