• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Avid Exp chassis bus division

TheHopiWay

Does any one know what the specific bus layout is in an avid 32bit/33MHz 7 slot pci exp. chassis (flat cable)?

I think I've heard 4 slots share a bus and three more share another but what's the breakdown/slot numbers?
At present I have mine set up with:
Host card, empty, empty, tc poco mkII, empty, empty, UAD-1,UAD-1.

UAD cards work great but use of the TC occasionally causes ProTools (7.2 HD2) to drop connection with the TC and UAD plugs until I close and reopen the session.
When PT drops communication the UAD meter and the PoCo utility both maintain connection to the cards so I believe it's more of a PT issue but Digi doesn't support either so I'm left to hunt and peck for a solution on my own. I thought playing with the card order might be a place to start.

Thanks.

Nightowl

I have a Magma 32/33 old school with the flat cable with 3 UAD cards, on a native system though running Sonar. I have my cards in slots 1-3 ... it all goes to one PCI slot, so could there really be more than one bus in the chassis?

Perhaps is it the default power supply in the chassis? I upgraded mine to a silent psu just for the hell of it and haven't had any issues.

TheHopiWay

Perhaps \"bus\" is the wrong term for what I'm asking. It's just that I vividly remember posts about a difference between 4 of the slots and the other 3 and I can't locate the info now that I may need it.

RichR

I remember that nobody knew for shure. I think it's supposed to be using 3 or 4 different IRQs for every 3 or 4 slots.

Example:
1 2 3 1 2 3 1
or
1 2 3 4 1 2 3
something like that...

Maybe you should just try different setups.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
The IRQ sharing in my system is like this:

Slot: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
IRQ: 17 18 19 16 17 18 19

noname

Akis said:
The IRQ sharing in my system is like this:

Slot: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
IRQ: 17 18 19 16 17 18 19
Hi Akis!!

just 2 questions:

you are running xpsp2 in acpi mode?

does a pci-e card use an irq just like a standard pci card?
If right the pci-e card share the same irq of a pci bus, doesn't it?

tnx
My B.
Marco

TheHopiWay

Thanks for the info.
I guess I'll try the IRQ list as a guide and move the PoCo to a different slot so it doesn't share the same IRQ as one of my UAD cards.......

UAD Bundle Month