Can't work out how Solo works in relation to submixed tracks and buses. Please explain!

amothie

OK, I'm trying to work on some drums. Here's the fairly simple track and bus routing architecture - it's much simpler that I've made it look below!

I've got source audio tracks (kick, snare, hi hat and overheads) routed using the multiple outputs facility to both a DRY DRUM bus and also a PARALLEL DRUM bus.

Both the DRY DRUM and the PARALLEL DRUM buses are routed to a MASTER DRUM BUS.

Here's what seems to happen when I start pressing Solo Buttons

• Activate Master drum bus Solo - The whole drum bus is heard and other groups (instruments, vocals etc) are silenced - as I would expect
  • Clear master bus solo to start from scratch and press Snare track solo - I only hear the snare track (routed through the dry and parallel buses and the master drum bus) - as I would expect
  • Clear snare solo and activate master drum bus solo again - again I just hear all the drums - as I would expect

so far so good but...

• Now, keeping the master drum bus in solo I activate the dry drum solo (the button of which lights up) - this makes no difference to the sound. I still hear both the dry and parallel bus (and same if I solo the parallel bus, no change in sound, I still hear both the parallel and dry bus. I was expecting that hierarchically, having soloed the master drum bus that I could now solo one of the two buses feeding it.
  • If I start from scratch and activate the master drum bus solo and then solo one of the source tracks - then I get a definite change in the sound which I'm unable to account for but certainly not a solo of that source track.

I can't get my head around what is going on here and haven't been able to find an explanation of how soloing works with nested tracks and buses. Any insight into this would be gratefully received.

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
OK, I'm trying to work on some drums. Here's the fairly simple track and bus routing architecture - it's much simpler that I've made it look below!

I've got source audio tracks (kick, snare, hi hat and overheads) routed using the multiple outputs facility to both a DRY DRUM bus and also a PARALLEL DRUM bus.

Both the DRY DRUM and the PARALLEL DRUM buses are routed to a MASTER DRUM BUS.

Here's what seems to happen when I start pressing Solo Buttons

• Activate Master drum bus Solo - The whole drum bus is heard and other groups (instruments, vocals etc) are silenced - as I would expect
  • Clear master bus solo to start from scratch and press Snare track solo - I only hear the snare track (routed through the dry and parallel buses and the master drum bus) - as I would expect
  • Clear snare solo and activate master drum bus solo again - again I just hear all the drums - as I would expect

so far so good but...

• Now, keeping the master drum bus in solo I activate the dry drum solo (the button of which lights up) - this makes no difference to the sound. I still hear both the dry and parallel bus (and same if I solo the parallel bus, no change in sound, I still hear both the parallel and dry bus. I was expecting that hierarchically, having soloed the master drum bus that I could now solo one of the two buses feeding it.
  • If I start from scratch and activate the master drum bus solo and then solo one of the source tracks - then I get a definite change in the sound which I'm unable to account for but certainly not a solo of that source track.

I can't get my head around what is going on here and haven't been able to find an explanation of how soloing works with nested tracks and buses. Any insight into this would be gratefully received.
Maybe this will help. It's an old vid, but all should still apply.

amothie

Thanks Drew. The video has helped to clarify some of the behaviour. Perhaps that information should be included in the Luna manual.

But there's still the issue of what I'm interpreting as weird audio when I solo source tracks when the master drum bus is already soloed (as better desscribed in my starting post.

This isn't a major problem as I've actually found a better way of auditioning source track (simply using the solo function in non-latching mode - which will deactivate the bus solo but still allow the source track to be heard as the bus is automatically "solo safed"). However, presumably it should be investigated to find out what's going on.

UAD Bundle Month