• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Compressing & EQ'ing

Flight16

Hi there, I am just about to get a UAD card.

I have been looking up ways of recording certain things..so on.

I wanted to know ...is there a limit to how many compressors you should use..

for instance, If you use a compressor on the bass drum to bring it out....then you use another compressor on the hole kit to merge it together....then you use a compressor on the vocal....guitars.....and then a Compressor on the hole mix in the master effects. ...this sounds ok but is it to much ?

the same goes for EQ, I was reading some guys talking about EQing bass drums....using like 2 EQ plugins...I though EQ was meant to be used as a subtle touch for mixing....or can you use lots of EQ plugins all the way through a mix?

I just wanted to make sure I don't over use my tools I guess.

any advice would be cool!

cheers

Paul

maks

Remember this \"if it sounds good ,it is good\" no matter what you do...
also it is important to understand that the more compression(ratio) you add to a source the smaller this source becomes, and your basically sucking its dynamic range out or as some say the life out of it...smaller compression ratio's make sounds appear larger, more dynamic...as far as eq? anything goes \"if it sounds good, it is good\":)

Smag

I put different compressors on different instrument groups i.e. on the bass drum, a different one on the snare but I'd treat all the cymbals as one group together usually. So much depends on what the samples / sounds are like when you start, some need more treatment than others. Ask yourself does this instrument it really need it? There's no point slapping loads of plugins on every instrument just because you've got them to hand.

Before you add compressors e.t.c, make sure that the volumes of each instrument are well balanced, to get the balance right - a good trick for this is when you're playing your track to turn the volume down slowly on your speakers and if anything disappears from the mix, it'll needs raising a bit.

Flight16

Smag said:
I put different compressors on different instrument groups i.e. on the bass drum, a different one on the snare but I'd treat all the cymbals as one group together usually. So much depends on what the samples / sounds are like when you start, some need more treatment than others. Ask yourself does this instrument it really need it? There's no point slapping loads of plugins on every instrument just because you've got them to hand.

Before you add compressors e.t.c, make sure that the volumes of each instrument are well balanced, to get the balance right - a good trick for this is when you're playing your track to turn the volume down slowly on your speakers and if anything disappears from the mix, it'll needs raising a bit.
cool, good idea

i get stuck into somthing and then suddenly i think..."WOW BOY!!!" and i would have had like 20 VSTs going on :)

Flight16

these Forums are great ...

a world of music :)

Think if there was a huge warehouse full of musicnas and producers with load of instuments and PC, Mac station all over the place....now thats a party :)

not to forget the women and beer!!! :)

Think if there was a huge warehouse full of musicnas and producers with load of instuments and PC, Mac station all over the place....now thats a party

not to forget the women and beer!!!
Most \"women\" I know would be tearing the door down to get into a party like that. :roll:

UAD Bundle Month