• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Controlled Loud guitars

stripealipe

Hi,

Wondered if anyone can give me some tips on getting a good loud distorted guitar sound. I'm using NI Guitar Rig, with an electric hooked up through a Voicemaster Pro.

The sound i'm getting is good in isolation, but sounds too fuzzed and gets lost in the mix. Harsh sounding even.

Anyone got some info on getting a good sound and how to sit it well in the mix?

st10ss

stripealipe said:
Hi,

Wondered if anyone can give me some tips on getting a good loud distorted guitar sound. I'm using NI Guitar Rig, with an electric hooked up through a Voicemaster Pro.

The sound i'm getting is good in isolation, but sounds too fuzzed and gets lost in the mix. Harsh sounding even.

Anyone got some info on getting a good sound and how to sit it well in the mix?
Hm....
That's not an easy one. It depends on the style of your music.
I would suggest to compress it a little, with the Fairchild and to use not to much gain and distortion in the Guitar Rig.

Steffen

andex

I suggest spending some/a lot of time with the EQ. To me that is the key when dealing with big distorted guitars. The line seems thin when it comes to fitting them in.

make different mixdowns and listen with a fresh pair of ears.

It might also be possible that GR just isn´t suited for big distorted guitars.
Haven´t tried it, but have read plenty reviews of people dissing the high gain sound it delivers.

GoldenEar

Try turning down the distortion and some midrange...
Let it sound a little \"darker\" in tone then you really want it in the final mix.
Put just enough overdrive to make it work but no more. :wink:

http://www.dragonflycds.com

Try Izotope Trash and Antares Tube for distortion/ overdrive.
Izotope Ozone for multiband Exciter.
And mangle it with all UAD compressors. Like 20dB of GR.
Bring out the sweet stuff with Pultec Pro.
Cut out resonances (if there are any left) with Cambridge.
Double it with same chain, but with different settings and detune upwards with a pitchshifter.
Crank it up.

tunetown

Can you use an amp?? I have never found an amp sim that cut it in the heavy zone. However, a nice amp with just an SM57 placed in the sweet spot and cranked up gives a better sound. IMHO... Also, i find that too much distortion or fuzz will splatter the sound. If you have sufficient volume then a crunchy sound rather than a distorted one will sit better in the mix.
I hope I haven't started the old amp vs sim debate.

tunetown

Aux said:
tunetown said:
However, a nice amp with just an SM57 placed in the sweet spot and cranked up gives a better sound.
Just one SM57? :wink:

Just one placed in the right spot will still give a better sound than any emulator. A nice condensor place a metre back is good. 2 dynamics in stereo is good. Whatever works. My point is that real amps do it for me.

Cheers

g206029

I get (what I think is good sound) using a POD through my Avalon 737. I 'juice' the tone with a little Cambridge and set it where I want in the mix using the LA2A. I suck at mixing tho---getting better.

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
Even though this thread is old, I think I could add something to it.
The new NEVE 1081's low pass filter works great on highly distorted guitars or really fuzzy ugly guitars. Rolling off the highs, even down to 2.9, 6khz or 10khz, works wonders on \"Digital Fuzzy\" guitars...

I started High passing a lot of the of my guitars in the mix, with the 1081.

As soon as you limit or compress your mix, all that high end comes right back. With out the harsh digitius yukkiness and cymbals and vocals stay clean & clear.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that the more distorion the guitar has or the more distorted guitars you add, the darker it needs to be.

8)

UAD Bundle Month