• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

CPU's not as powerful as you think?

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
Last night, I was able to max out my dual core E4300, overclocked from 1.8GHz to 3.15GHz, with a plug-in (TC Thirty run oversampled) that only takes 83% of a single DSP on my Powercore Element. The Element has the old Motorola DSP's that are 66% as powerful as what are in the current models and this was only one of the four DSP's on board. I realize the plug-in may not be well optimized for native processing but, c'mon, isn't this some indication that we've overestimated just what modern CPU's are capable of?

F5D

How did you manage to run the TC Thirty as a native plugin?

Spacey

That's using the plugin in emulation mode for 0 latency where the plugin is loaded into native instead of the Element card. I cannot imagine that it would have been optimised for native.

Fundy

Established Member
Don't call me stupid but how do I access this mode. I have a PoCo Element.

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.

F5D

I guess this has been discussed before on the powercore forums but if I remember this right, when using the powercore \"no latency\"-mode, the plugin still runs on the dsp card, not native. The huge cpu consumption is caused by the ultra low latency and cpu needs to do a much bigger job that the data will be transfered to and from the dsp card quicker than usually.

The no latency mode was implemented for people who sometimes want to play for example guitar thru their dsp accelerated plugins but is not recommended to be used all the time. So basically switching a powercore plugin to no latency mode doesn't tell anything about how much the plugin would need cpu to run natively.

A very good way to compare how much a powercore has power is to use sonnox plugins which are available for both powercore and native.

Pip

FSD you are right - hence the reduced latency, that's real time tracking.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
Indeed, the '0 latency' switch just forces the rapid transfer of data between the card and CPU.

UAD Bundle Month