• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Decided On Pultec Pro Instead Of The Neve Or Helios

alfadog

Besides getting the upgrade for FREE, I preferred the Pultec to the Neve and Helios for both it's sound and flexibility. Just finished a busy busy mix with a lot of instruments fighting each other. I used the Cambridge EQ on every track because I needed the ability to surgically scoop and boost to get each instrument to sit in its own slice of the sound spectrum. Once I got the track sounding good, able to hear each instrument clearly, I still wasn't 100% happy with the way the vocals were cutting through the track. Decided to swap the Pultec for the Cambridge, pulled up the male vocal preset, and tweaked the preset a little. WOW, the vocal cut right through the track. This EQ has balls, warmth, and clarity!

Jeraz

alfadog said:
Besides getting the upgrade for FREE, I preferred the Pultec to the Neve and Helios for both it's sound and flexibility. Just finished a busy busy mix with a lot of instruments fighting each other. I used the Cambridge EQ on every track because I needed the ability to surgically scoop and boost to get each instrument to sit in its own slice of the sound spectrum. Once I got the track sounding good, able to hear each instrument clearly, I still wasn't 100% happy with the way the vocals were cutting through the track. Decided to swap the Pultec for the Cambridge, pulled up the male vocal preset, and tweaked the preset a little. WOW, the vocal cut right through the track. This EQ has balls, warmth, and clarity!
Good for you! Pultec Pro's a great plug. When it's just the thing, it's just the thing, if you know what I mean. I now feel the same way about the Helios. :wink:

wishingwell

I'm still the Neve guy myself :lol: ..but all three would be nice to have and all three would have their time in the spot light at this studio since their so different and compliment each other well. Pultec is very magical like the other two but without the heavy price wich is even sweeter.

Dan Duskin

Established Member
I don't know why.... but I can never get those 3 mid bands in the pultec pro to do anything posative to the sound of any track i try it on (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc). I always go back to the original pultec to save some dsp. Anyone else feel this way? Or anyone felt this was and found that the mid bands sound good are certain things... if so, what?

As for UAD-1 eq's, and adjusting mids, I always end up using Cambridge, 1081, or the 1073. But I'm kinda liking the new Helios for mid adjustments too... i need to do more tests...

Mark Edmonds

Dan Duskin said:
I don't know why.... but I can never get those 3 mid bands in the pultec pro to do anything posative to the sound of any track i try it on (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc). I always go back to the original pultec to save some dsp. Anyone else feel this way?
At last! I was beginning to think I was the only person in the known universe with this view. I like the original Pultec but I don't think I've ever successfully used the Pro. Even the original I treat with a large dose of caution because of that gain thingy.

Helios is completely different. Actually I would have bought the Helios over the Pultec Pro any day.

Mark

4damind

Mmh... I could not find any usage for the Pultec Pro. I'm very happy with the limited count of bands of the Pultec and don't need the additional bands of the Pro.

bulls hit

I've had good results with the Pultec Proc taming fizzy distorted guitars. I like how you can boost with abandon when needed without getting that phasiness creeping in. A boost at 500 with an associated dip at say 300 can add the meat without the mud

Dan Duskin

Established Member
bulls hit said:
I've had good results with the Pultec Proc taming fizzy distorted guitars. I like how you can boost with abandon when needed without getting that phasiness creeping in. A boost at 500 with an associated dip at say 300 can add the meat without the mud
That's a good point. A good friend uses the pultec pro on electric distorted guitars a lot... and his guitars always sound stellar!!! I need to try it!

I tried the pultec pro on accoustic guitar the other night... talored it the best i could. The next day I came back to listen, and I thought the accoustic didn't sound as good as it could. I tried re-adjusting the mid bands on the pultec pro, and didn't get too far. i turned off the mid section (top section) on the pultec pro, and suddenly it came to life. This happens to me everytime i try the pultec pro (but i've never tried it on electric distorted guitar).

So far I've only tried the Helios on electric distorted guitar, and it fucking ROCKS!!! I also need to try the Neve EQ's on electric distorted guitars more... maybe when I'm looking for a more vintage sound (which is common among one of the two guitars in a band with two guitar players).

Usually.... if I like the sound of the Pultec on something, but I need more mid-band adjustments, I use the Precision EQ.... otherwise, if I don't need the mids I use the Pultec. I often find myself switching between the Pultec (original) and PrecisionEQ on vocals and acoustic guitar.

mjau

Dan Duskin said:
I don't know why.... but I can never get those 3 mid bands in the pultec pro to do anything posative to the sound of any track i try it on
Definitely me too, with one exception...the mids do some cool stuff to my arturia moog modular soft synth. Otherwise, it's never worked well for me - though the regular Pultec is almost always killer.

Plec

Venerated Member
Dan Duskin said:
I don't know why.... but I can never get those 3 mid bands in the pultec pro to do anything posative to the sound of any track i try it on (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc). I always go back to the original pultec to save some dsp. Anyone else feel this way?
Yup.. I agree with you and Mark. However like previous posters... the only time I find the pultec-pro useful is fur cutting mids on heavy distorted guitars. It sounds really cool for just that.

djsynchro

Hall of Fame Member
Dan Duskin said:
I don't know why.... but I can never get those 3 mid bands in the pultec pro to do anything posative to the sound of any track i try it on (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc)
I like the lo-mid for a bit more body for a vocal and the cut to reduce harshness.

marQs

Shareholder
Eh?

Pultec Pro ran a lot on my drum busses, often with a boost @ 200 adding perfect punch to snare drums, also boosting mid peak for kind of a 'crunchy' factor though I find myself using 1081 more often since I have it.
The mid section can do some magic to vocals too in my ears.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
Plec said:
the only time I find the pultec-pro useful is fur cutting mids on heavy distorted guitars. It sounds really cool for just that.
Though I have other uses for it, too, I think it excels in this task indeed.

r3nø

the PultecPro is sometimes useful to add mid-low punch on snare too.

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
You should try the pultec pro on the mix bus with 30Hz boosted a bit and 16kHz boosted a bit. Set it up BEFORE you start mixing and forget it's there :)

try similar with The Helios as well :)

Dan Duskin

Established Member
Paul Woodlock said:
You should try the pultec pro on the mix bus with 30Hz boosted a bit and 16kHz boosted a bit. Set it up BEFORE you start mixing and forget it's there :)

try similar with The Helios as well :)
Ya know.... I keep hearing of engineers working that way. I think it's a fantastic idea! I've also heard of some well known engineers that keep a bus-compressor on the master fader thru-out the entire construction and mix of the song... I want to do this, but I think I would need to keep that plugin open at all times so I could make sure it's not compressing more than 2dB... maybe this is a good excuse to buy a killer analog bus-compressor!!! :) But it would need to have no attack or release controls, because I don't want to be tempted to adjust it, as I would be running all my mixes through it, so it would need to stay the same at all times. Hmmm.... what to get.... hmmm....

opteronoroff

One use where the Pultec Pro shines is in remastering trax in mp3 format. It's great at restoring some of the top air that mp3 destroys, and controlling the low end that mp3 exaggerates, and just sort of keeping the whole mix glued together and warm instead of that flat, cold, lifeless mp3 sound.

Fundy

Established Member
I recently wrote an Itunes disc, although I wasn't happy with the quality. The format seems to exagerate the bass. So I refined them my UAD plug-ins and well they seem a bit better. I know that's the AAC/M4A format but it's much the same as MP3 and other compressed formats.

svs95

Shareholder
Although I generally find the MEQ-5 (the top rack unit of the Pultec Pro) useful in the master bus for gentle dips, I have also found two things I like to boost with this module.

If you look at acoustic music a lot, you'll see that most of the beef is in the 500Hz range (most massed acoustic music forms a bell curve, the top of which is about there). If I find music generally lacking body, even though it seems to have enough kick and bass, a nice goosing of the 500Hz band in the MEQ-5 usually does the trick.

Also, unless there is something already too prominent up there, if a recording has strings, you can often get some nice bow sound by boosting 4kHz or 5kHz (depending on the recording) with the MEQ-5, which still leaves the really high stuff alone.

Somehow in fact, this processor does those two things better than others most of the time, even though you can boost those same frequencies with any EQ!

svs95

UAD Bundle Month