• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Do you like to have a Helios SE like Neve SE?

Do you like to have a Helios SE like Neve SE?

• Yes, I llike to have a SE version.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I never/seldom use the SE versions.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Othmar

I've decided to start a poll on this topic because I'm interested how you guys use those EQ's. Are you always using the big resource hogging version or is a use for those SE versions?

NuSkoolTone

Established Member
I use the full version for all my Freeze tracks, SE for things I can't freeze.

Mwah

Maybe the SE version might be offered as a freebie - like the 1176SE - or as a cheaper version. Not that the Helios is prohibitively expensive - just a thought. We haven't seen many freebie plugins for a while.

Arys Chien

I vote \"no\" too.

The Helios 69, with its limited settings, is all about its \"mojo\". The SE version won't have the mojo, and therefore I'd rather use the 1081SE or the Cambridge as my much more flexible and surgical \"mojo-less\" eq.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
Arys Chien said:
I vote "no" too.

The Helios 69, with its limited settings, is all about its "mojo". The SE version won't have the mojo, and therefore I'd rather use the 1081SE or the Cambridge as my much more flexible and surgical "mojo-less" eq.
Yup, voted no here, too. There's always the Oxford or the Cambridge or (put-your-light-on-CPU-surgical-EQ-here) for when you don't need the special colour of these heavy (DSP-wise) EQ's.

manolito

Dan Duskin said:
is that realistic? is the helio eq even upsampled?
i was thinking the same thing?? bcuz i realy can't hear it.

well, from all UA eq's Cambridge is the only one that do it.

@Akis, SE virsion will let you use more helios, so why not?
btw, the helios sounds great on bass, and the mid range is sweet.

Cheers

Akis

manolito said:
@Akis, SE virsion will let you use more helios, so why not?
btw, the helios sounds great on bass, and the mid range is sweet.
Because the SE won't sound the same; you like what you hear now - will you like the SE version? :wink:

manolito

take for instens the 33609 and the SE virsion, do you realy hear the diff? i know there is a small small diff, but regular person will hear it? no ofcours not.

G

I use SE ver and Regular ver both as different plugin.
I'm thinking it's not only for LIGHT ver, that's why I'd love to use 1176SE,
1073SE, 33609SE, 1081SE, I like 'em all too. ;)

JamesR

i use (and rely on) having the SE versions of plugs like the neves to allow me to get the mix done on a 2 card uad system...

yes, it would be nice to use a few more (even just a few!) helios eq's, but i fear that an SE version may remove the very character of this plug that we all seem to love.

i suspect it runs at 192kHz internally to be able to get that sweet and smooth high end...

have a great weekend guys - i've had a great day mixing with my uad gear today..

(i've just re-mixed-down and track i origianlly did a year ago, much *
*easier* to get a *better* result this time round with the new stuff!)

J.

Arys Chien

manolito said:
take for instens the 33609 and the SE virsion, do you realy hear the diff? i know there is a small small diff, but regular person will hear it? no ofcours not.
Yes my girl friend can hear it.

On the other hand, if you don't care about the difference, then why do you need a Helios 69 SE when you already have the cambridge and 1073/1081 SE?

Archmart

Hey Hey!

As to whether the Helios upsamples... Perhaps someone could check the latest manual and see if it requires extra samples of Delay Comp, like, I believe, the rest of the upsampled plugs do.

Archmart

Dan Duskin

Established Member
Considering that the Helios uses less that the Pultec, 1073, and 1081... i assumed either it doesn't upsample, or it's just really DSP efficient.

UA has been giving us SE versions of all upsampled or high-dsp-load plugins lately... so, I assume they didn't provide one here for a good reason. Maybe they tried to simplify the algorithm for an SE version and found that it didn't sound nearly good enough to release... or, maybe their isn't much simplification that can be done.

Akis

Dan Duskin said:
Considering that the Helios uses less that the Pultec, 1073, and 1081... i assumed either it doesn't upsample, or it's just really DSP efficient.
Why don't you try loading it @ 44/48K and then 88/96K and check if the DSP load is the same? I can't do it myself, but I haven't activated my demo, yet.

djsynchro

Hall of Fame Member
Dan Duskin said:
I uses more than the Pulteq Pro so I guess it does upsample?

UAD Bundle Month