• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Dropped Antares Autotune and....

Celsius

...all my problems disappeared.
No more dropouts, no more losing the soundcard, No more \"noise from hell@10.000dB\".......\" (Scared a few singers with that one.....), no more cpu spikes.....save in background works without interupting audio...saves quickly....
Uad-1 works a treat(2 cards), fireface800 works like it should.
2 FX teleport servers chewing away...Yummy.

Oh happy days......

I just knew it.......tonedeaf singers were killing my DAW......

Thing is, with the Antares plugin the problems became worse, the more plugins were active in the mixer. Nuendo would lose contact with the audio-engine/soundcard and need a full reset....constantly dropping out giving a last digital roar, seemingly trying to fry my speakers...

If you're having problems it might be worth checking out....

secretworld

I use it only non realtime, just fixin a few notes ifr needed

Trebor Flow 2

Established Member
Celsius buy Melodyne Uno and your life will change forever.

It makes Autotune appear like a toy. The results are totally stunning and it's very easy to use - as long as you know what notes the melody is supposed to be!

Download the demo, it's fully functional and really shows what the program can do. Trust me you'll love it.

Best

Trebor

Dan Duskin

Established Member
I can't stand Melodyne... it just can't do what AutoTune can do in graphic mode... though I must admit that Melodyne can do stuff AT can't, but I don't need any of those things.

I only use Autotune OFFLINE. Any auto-tuning plugin used in real-time is crap unless you are recording an EXCELLENT singer (rare indeed).

Trebor Flow 2

Established Member
Dan out of interest what can't Melodyne do that AT does in graphical mode - I must be missing something.

I get fantastic results will M Uno although I never have to move a note more than 25 cents +/- as I'm a fairly accurate singer.

Becasue I know the melody I'm singing in terms of notation, M Uno seems so easy, as you can just see where the problem is an fix it with a mouse click, and the sound quality is amazing as it leaves all the vibrato intact. I've never been able to get AT to sound natural even in graph mode.

Trebor

Celsius

Trebor Flow 2 said:
Celsius buy Melodyne Uno and your life will change forever.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Autotune still works fine for offline graphic mode so far though.(thank god)

Yes the auto mode of the antares can be very unforgiving. I'll usually just slap it gently over some backing vox to tighten things up abit.
Any critical tuning is...well a handjob so to speak.

I'm just so happy I managed to sort the problem.....and I'm now patiently waiting for the VST vrsion which hopefully should be around in the not too distant future

Doublehelix

I also love Melodyne (although I use the full studio version, not the Uno version). Great program that does amazing things.

That being said, I also use Autotune a lot.

They are different beasts, and each have their uses imho.

Trebor Flow 2

Established Member
Uno is very different from the full studio version - although the new technology used in Uno is being ported to the new studio version 3 - just out now in beta.

The note recognition algo in Uno is amazing, and once it is running smoothly in the studio version 3 - I will upgrade to 3. I have autone tune - but haven't used it since I got Uno, I wish someone would point out where AT is still useful over Uno? - I just can't see it my self.

True Uno doesn't do real time correction - but who would want to?

Trebor

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
Dan Duskin said:
I can't stand Melodyne... it just can't do what AutoTune can do in graphic mode... though I must admit that Melodyne can do stuff AT can't, but I don't need any of those things.

I only use Autotune OFFLINE. Any auto-tuning plugin used in real-time is crap unless you are recording an EXCELLENT singer (rare indeed).
I agree with Dan's every word here.

I have AutoTune on a key command for offlien processing in SX3. I can zip through a song in minutes and correct only what needs correcting in graphical mode.

Melodyne is a poweful program with some great features. but it's integration with a DAW host is terrible. I never did get the Melodyne Bridge tio work properly. And it doesn't work at all as soon as you have a variable tempo project in your DAW. Celemony haven't seemed to put the Bridge as a priority for fixing either.

They should release Melodyne as a VST plugin IMHO.

grimleyj

So my understanding is that Uno doesn't have the Melodyne bridge but instead works as a rewire slave. Can anyone comment on how well it works compared to say Autotune?
-grimley

dt

I'm about to drop Autotune too. When trying to install/port it to my new DAW PC, the registration tool blue screened the PC everytime... so I'm looking at other options. Probably an interlok problem that I'm not about to try and \"solve\" on a new stable DAW.

Melodyne does look interesting - I'll have to check out the demo. Even though I'm not a big AT fan, graphic mode does work well - key command in Nuendo's wave editor is really handy. I guess offline with Uno wouldn't be a bad tradeoff since I can't use AT anyway (too bad I can just use it from the old DAW via FX Teleport...).

Melodyne is a pain to use offline and because of the algorithm it uses and the bizarre interface I only use it about 1% of the time for formant correction.

I've heard of a number of people who buy the AT and then find and use a cracked version to pay the piper but avoid the rats of the Antares copy protection.

Trebor Flow 2

Established Member
Peoples milage really does differ. Uno is amazing I use it in rewire mode, works like a dream. The Uno interface is stunning and very simple to use.

However it does come at things from a musical point of view - and in a way, requires you to have a knowledge of the melody in musical terms.

But if you know want you want to achieve, then the results are fantastic and very quick. You can almost redraw the melody line if you want and there is a scrub tool that lets you hear the actual melody as it goes through every sample of pitch - I use it when I teach singing to show pupils how they are maybe: sharpening the attack of a sylable or scooping to a note. It is the most incredible software.

Don't judge Celemony on the older 2.6 technology - it is Uno and the forthcomimg version 3 that has the new interface and detection engine which is fully automatic.

Melodyne Uno is without doubt the best piece of software I have bought in the last 5 years. It has transformed my work flow dramatically.

(and no I don't work for celemony - I don't even know who they are?)

Trebor

Dave Bourke

Melodyne Uno doesn't support multiple tempos in a piece. Both Cre8 and Studio do.

Kind regards.

grimleyj

Trebor Flow 2,
I downloaded the Uno demo but it doesn't offer Rewire mode.
Can you tell me if Rewire mode supports drag n drop from the host or would I need to export a take to a file and import it into Uno.
Thanks, g
What any of this has to do with UAD I don't know ;)

secretworld

grimleyj said:
Autotune is causing problems when used with the plate.....

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
grimleyj said:
I had the same exact question, but Celsius said something about his UAD-1's working fine now, so I assumed they didn't earlier, when he was using AT, so I didn't move the topic.

I had the same question as well about Uno in rewire mode: how does it work? It's the most important element and they left it out of the demo!!!

Right now I have a project where on the chorus there's six layered vocal tracks; will I be able to edit one by one with Uno while listening to the other 5 in Nuendo? How is it done?

TIA,

grimleyj

What about Intonator HS for PoCo? Anyone using that?
I tried the demo but it's completley useless as it uses the 2 seconds of FX/2 seconds of silence method of evaluation.
More expensive than Uno, less than Antares and doesn't use native CPU ... tempting.
-grimley

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
I have the Intonator HS: It sounds pretty natural and it's dead easy to use. I've also used it on slide guitar with very good results. The reason I'm looking at Uno is its time stretching capabilities.

Cabbage

Hi,

I have Uno, but I only use it when I really have to so I am hardly a poweruser. Anyway...

The problem with Melodyne Uno is that it is built as a sample editor, not a processor. This means that you have to bounce your vocal take to one continuous file, and the file it has to start at the very beginning of the project. This might be a problem if you have long projects.

Once you have this file, you can open this file in ReWire mode and have it play back along with the project (the transport is synched between Nuendo and Uno). You get the processed signal into Nuedo on a ReWire channel, so you can solo this and whatever you want to align it to. This works well (given that you download the latest updates from Celemony). You can only edit one take at a time.

Once you are finished, save the file and reimport in Nuendo.

Some people have complained about the processed signal being delayed in Uno, but I have never found this a problem.

The time stretching works really well for time aligning vocals. Uno will start up in the same time signature and tempo as the Nuendo project, but it will not follow tempo changes.

Petter

UAD Bundle Month