• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

G4 or G5 with two UADs ?

Hello everybody,

I need some advice here, I just made some money with my G3 300 plus one UAD-1 and now there is the time to invest it. (at least I thought so.)
Right now it looks like you can`t buy a G4 (dual 1,25) because it`s so exorbitant expensive (plus not up to date) compared to the G5 which has this UAD- problems. (I need to buy a new machine for tax reasons.)
Are there any G4 dual 1,25 and G5 users who have two UAD-Cards and could share their actual experience with their systems ?

I want to use Cubase SX 2.2 and I mainly record traditional instruments, so there isn`t that much to do for the CPU but providing say 50 audio-tracks and 8 audio ins and outs.
Is a G4 dual or maybe even a single 1,25 capable of providing this and how is the performance then ? I mean my G3 (OS 9/ VST 5.1) is really hard working with 32 tracks open !
And is a G5 sort of overpowered for this ? How is the actual performance of a G5 with two UAD-1s ? Any ideas and comments ? Thank you very much !

mersisblue

hi I have a single g4 1ghz with 2 uad 1 cards

and when using cubase sl I can record more than 8 tracks

more in the area of 20 -30 tracks

Niklas Eriksson

I'm not the one to say for sure, but i think its a mistake to go with a new G4. The increased power of the G5s can more then enough compensate for the raised CPU host load. And when reading the June Webzine I think the next release, 3.5.2, will even further fix the small problems.

I'm running two UAD-1s on a single 1.8 ghz and its capabilities is massive compared to even the fastest double G4.

And since its sound we are working with, the silence of the G5 is a true bliss. The G4 fan noise is much much louder.

MAURO

if you are looking for a g4, I am selling a quicksilver 867 with over a gig of ram and a super drive. Also have a 2408mk2 and amt8 midi interface

Hello Niklas,

thanks for your reply ! (and thanks to the G4-guys as well !)

I read a post in the old forum, where someone actually sent his G5 back for a G4, because he was so disappointed with the performance of the UAD - G5 combination.

That is a strong argument !

It´s very confusing at the moment, because there are so many different statements.
The companies themselves haven`t yet sorted out, whether this issues are software or hardware related and I at least don`t feel comfortable with the idea of having to buy another G5 in 6 months because apple have possibly fixed their hardware problems by then (if there are any...!?).

I`d love to buy a G5, but the fact that they are out now for over a year and there is a second revision and they still have this issues, makes me a bit suspicious.

It would be very helpful, if you could be more specific concerning \"increased CPU Host Loads\" and \"small problems\".
What will I have to deal with, when I buy a G5, can I get my work done ?
You don`t have crashes like others in this forum when the UAD-1-meter shows more than 65% ?
You don`t have to reboot every now and then because you`ve driven the UADs to hard for the G5 ? No pops, crackles, dropouts ?

If not, then there is hope and I can cancel my G4 order and can get me a G5 too !

Thank you very much and all the best.

van Overhalen

:)

pellefri

Hi,

This is an interesting thread . Lurking here trying to find some (positive:)) experiences from users with a UAD and Powercore in a DP G5 ... :)

Thinking about going for DP 2Ghz and Logic Pro.... using a RME HDSP9652

Best regards,
Pelle

Jaimo

For what it's worth...

I am running Logic Pro on a dual 2 gig G5, and am not experiencing any problems.

All this talk about \"increased CPU loads\" has me a bit baffled, because I have not experienced that.

Now I will admit that I don't \"load up\" a mix with UAD-1 plug-ins, but typically for me, an average mix will include 3 or 4 LA2A's, 1 or 2 1176's, 3 or 4 Cambridge EQ's, 1 or 2 Pultecs, and either a Dreamverb or Realverb pro.

When I had my G4, this was a typical scenario for me, so based on my experiences, the UAD-1 is doing what I need it too, on a G5.

hoover

dual g5 2 ghz with uad-1

hello - i have a g5 since january 04 and a uad-1. since the last update of cubase sx 2 and the latest uad-driver update everything works good with the uad IF i do not use my m-audio1010lt audio card at the same time for monitoring. i also have a tc-powercore card they work good together. i use the internal audio card for listening. go and buy your g5!

alphastasis

jaimo and hoover,

are you guys using multiple cards or a single card?

i don't care about host load, just pops and clicks....your input is valuable...laters.

UAD Bundle Month