• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

G5 1.6ghz vs 1.8ghz - are the PCI slots the same?

macaroni

I know that the new G5s are coming in a few months - they'll probably be revealed at the Dev Conference in June, but that's 4 months away, and who knows if they'll ship right away. I'm having frustrating problems with my 1 GHz G4, and I've done everything suggested here and on other forums, so I'm thinking about grabbing a used 1.6 or 1.8 off eBay for the interim period.

So my question is whether the 1.6 GHz G5 PCI slots are regular PCI slots like the 1.8 GHz? I've got 2 UAD-1 cards, and will be getting a 3rd, sooner than later.

Also, are there any other differences between the 1.6 & the 1.8 that would make the 1.8 more desirable, other than being a bit faster?

Thanks.

giles117

The single g5 1.6 Ghz Powermac and the \"CURRENT\" Single and Dual 1.8Ghz G5 have the same PCI slots.

macaroni

i would REALLY encourage you to save a little more and get a dual 1.8
I'd really love to, and would definitley prefer that, but I just don't think I can get the money together for one. I'll be squeezing things to spend $1K on a single processor 1.6/1.8.

I'm hoping that the extra horsepower of the faster G5, will give me the needed room that I'm missing with the single G4 1GHz. With the updated/faster architecture of the G5 machines, plus the G5 is faster, I should be able to get at least a 75% improvement.

And since I'm going to be getting the new ones in several months, I don't want to spend more than I have to right now.

giles117

FYI the speed of a Single 1.6 Ghz G5 is just a pich faster than a dual 1.42 G4

So 125% would be more like the speed bump to expect.

giles117

All Powermacs released since 2002 Support Dual Monitors. Apple started making Dual monitor Cards Standard.

I Believe the G5 has dual DVI slots instead of the old DVI/ADC and 1 VGA slot. Worse case you'll need a $20 adapter :)

UAJames

Universal Audio
UA Official
Single and Dual 1.8Ghz G5 have the same PCI slots.
Yes they do, be aware though that even though the Single 1.6 is a PCI based machine, it does use the AMD-8131 chipset, which is the whole cause of these G5 problems...so you might be shooting yourself in the foot with that one. The newer Dual 1.8s work perfectly and we have verified it in testing that model. We also assume the Single 1.8 will work the same, however, we have not actually verified it through testing as we have not received one yet. They are very similar in architecture and it does not use the AMD-8131 chipset, so you should be safe.

macaroni

Yes they do, be aware though that even though the Single 1.6 is a PCI based machine, it does use the AMD-8131 chipset, which is the whole cause of these G5 problems...so you might be shooting yourself in the foot with that one.
Ouch! Thanks so much for that James. I would have freaked if I got one and had those problems! Whew!

I'll start looking for a single 1.8 instead.

Trace

macaroni said:
Yes they do, be aware though that even though the Single 1.6 is a PCI based machine, it does use the AMD-8131 chipset, which is the whole cause of these G5 problems...so you might be shooting yourself in the foot with that one.
Ouch! Thanks so much for that James. I would have freaked if I got one and had those problems! Whew!

I'll start looking for a single 1.8 instead.

Look for a used DUAL 1.8 instead! As I said earlier, I bought one for $1,500.00. You should be able to find a similar deal somewhere and you'll appreciate the extra power.

TRACE :)

UAD Bundle Month