• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Gateing Drums ...?

Flight16

How important is it to gate drums so you don't get other drums coming through another drums mics...

I find on the Tom mics I get a bit of the bass drum come through them that sounds quite muddy.... would it be wise to gate the Tom mics or even silence the tracks until a tom is actually hit...

or is it more an EQ thing?

any advice would be great!

mightymike

Depends on the drum kit and how much you dampen them etc.

Alot of the times you may get resonance from the tom mics and bass drum mics but the overall effect of the kit may benefit from this... possibly...

Just make sure you gate at the beginning of the chain (not after the compressor) ... Alot of people do silence the track but if it's a track that uses the toms a lot then it maybe better to gate the toms to get better natural sound and save time!

mm

Wireline

Never gated drums...I almost always mic drums using either 2 or 3 mics...and on the rare occassions when I mic each element separately, properly setup mics will minimize bleed...

Besides, I've always thought that drums were a single instrument, and the interaction (bleed) between the discrete elements was a critical as the interaction of strings on a guitar...

All that said, if you MUST gate, try and find the Spitfish VST fom digitalfishphones...works well.

harvestmark

Here's my speech; If you have great sounding, well tuned drums, in a good sounding acoustical environment, played by an excellent drummer, mic'ed up with good/great mic's you won't need or want to use gates. What leaks into all the open mics will sound really good & enhance the sound rather than corrupt it. I think most of us who use gates will use them because the sounds leaking into all the open mics sounds really crappy, (or sometimes for a special effect). That's because not all the above conditions are present. The best drums sound I get are with all the mics wide open.
Mark Miller
p.s. Learn to tune drums & keep a few spare drum heads on hand. Both will make a big difference.

The Rookie

I'm Getting the Same problem, Especially with the Toms. I'm getting a real \"Washy\" Cymbal sound in the Tom Mics. Do you recomend Editing the Toms (cutting out the Crap) or just gating them?

artale

Flight16 said:
How important is it to gate drums so you don't get other drums coming through another drums mics...

I find on the Tom mics I get a bit of the bass drum come through them that sounds quite muddy.... would it be wise to gate the Tom mics or even silence the tracks until a tom is actually hit...

or is it more an EQ thing?

any advice would be great!
I think gateing in your set up would be used at the post level
mxing stage. Let the drum instruments bleed into each other
which is what there intended to do. If you want to gate a snare
or Tom go to that track if the instrument was isolated and
use your gate to taste

Rankus

Wireline said:
Never gated drums...I almost always mic drums using either 2 or 3 mics...and on the rare occassions when I mic each element separately, properly setup mics will minimize bleed...

Besides, I've always thought that drums were a single instrument, and the interaction (bleed) between the discrete elements was a critical as the interaction of strings on a guitar...

All that said, if you MUST gate, try and find the Spitfish VST fom digitalfishphones...works well.

What type of music are you recording?

Cabbage

For pop/rock I would always gate the toms. But like it has been said, never record with gates. Other mics I would not gate, just the toms.

Petter

UAD Bundle Month