• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Getting rid of the PCI card

ptram

Dear Universal Audio,

I wonder if today's µprocessors can replace the due computation currently made by the UAD PCI card. This, maybe at the expense of CPU charge, but I doubt a couple G5s can really be so underpowered, compared to the DSP on the card.

USB key copy protection seems to work fine, judging from the success Apple/Emagic is having in protecting Logic. Can't you replace the card with something like that?

I think we are all a bit tired of fighting against the card's idiosyncrasies, requiring months to be fixed.

Best regards,
Paolo

akisd28

Although the UA people visit this board quite frequently, I think it would be better if you sent this request directly to them as well.

Perhaps they could code native versions of the plug-ins that could work under AU/VST as well as on the card but needed the UAD-1 card as a dongle?

Then we could choose how to run te plug-ins. I suppose it would impact on second and third cards though. :lol:

Regards

Stephen

tapeop

I think you'r missing the point

The plugins are designed to run on a proprietary dsp chip, that's why they work great.
This way they don't have to deal with variations on processors (velocity), and don't need to make sacrifices in the coding cause everything is done to be runned by that specific processor.
I said, keep the way, but please, do much more powerfull dsp cards (like a uad with 4 dsp processors or something)

Trace

I'm not sure what is so bad about the PCI card route. I love that using the UAD plugs doesn't effect my G5 processors nearly as much as a Native plug would. I also think that you underestimate how much power it takes to run some of the more powerful plugs.

I have 4 UAD-1's and that adds a LOT of processing power to my system. I couldn't run as many UA plugs as I do now if they were Native, especially since that would take cycles away from my VSTi's.
The Concept is still sound all these many years later.

TRACE :)

ptram

Hi tapeop,

I think you'r missing the point. The plugins are designed to run on a proprietary dsp chip, that's why they work great.
So, does the ProTools version of the plugins sound bad? Proprietary chips power is an old story, that might be still true if current DSPs were more powerful than µprocessors. It is not the case, in the time being.

This way they don't have to deal with variations on processors
This would be great if the PCI card worked flawlessly. Since it is not so, this doesn't seem to be a true advantage over software plugins.

My UAD is out of my Mac since the time I bought a new G5. You can guess how I feel attracted by the advantages of the DSP card...

Best regards,
Paolo

Trace

It is unfortunate that the Current Mac and I might add many AMD systems based on their 8131 Chipset, have put limits on the UAD-1's maximum DSP potential. I does work however. I have a Dual 1.8Ghz w/PCI-X slots and thus the cursed 8131. I can't get the full power of my 4 UAD-1's on every plug, but on many I can. I will probably sell this Mac and get a Dual 2.0 at some point, but for right now I have enough Power from my UAD's to do most projects.

I also think that you overestimate the power of Native processors. They are more powerful than ever, but they're still not so powerful that it makes DSP Cards obsolete.

TRACE :)

JamesR

So, does the ProTools version of the plugins sound bad? Proprietary chips power is an old story, that might be still true if current DSPs were more powerful than µprocessors. It is not the case, in the time being.
have you noticed how many 1176's you can run on a PT card?

1 per chip. that's 6 1176's per card, probably only 4/5 (allowing for mix functions etc)

and the cost of a PT card? £thousands.

that doesn't leave you much to mix with, even on HD3. (bear in mind every plug must be run on a chip if you use logic as a tdm host)

you'd think if the host cpu could handle it, people would want it... but such algorithms aren't ready for native just yet....

and there's the point that you can run these plugs and not really affect your vsti's or other processing....

pci + cpu is good for me, best of both.

UAD Bundle Month