• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Hands down: Ripp out some Stuff, UA!

JuergenW

UA, you did so much time in researching and simulating the components of your vintage gear plug-ins!

So why don´t you just extract some for us??
Give us separate Plug-ins of following components:

Tape Alg. (New, Used, Old Quality) (from SpaceEcho)
Input/Output Transformer (from 1176LN)
Input Tubesaturation (from Fairchild)

This would be great for Toneshaping where you don´t need
a compressor or Spacedelay at all - saving DSP but giving FUN! :p

What do you think?

secretworld

Would be great! A UA toolbox with al kinds of small goodies!

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
This sounds like a great Idea.
UA Utility kit.
Nice ..... 8)

F5D

Yeah! A transformer/saturation-plugin would be nice with controls how much to apply the effect and also the ability to overuse the effect. A couple of different types of saturation, maybe tone control and level/drive. No doubt I would buy that plugin! And it wouldn't even matter what it emulates or doesn't emulate if it sounds good. 8)

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
+1

Suntower

Established Member
At the risk of being a wet RF blanket...

It's not as simple as that. And the reason it ain't as simple as that is because... <d'oh!> the original circuits themselves are often -very- simple.

Ever seen the schematics for a Neve pre? The pultec? A Fender Princeton? They are -laughably- simple. All you need (all?) are top grade components and meticulous point to point wiring.

I would suggest that it's the (oy, I hate this word) 'synergy' that makes it all good.

What I'm trying to say is that, you can't just rip out 'qualities' of these devices. The various elements you crave just don't function as discrete bits (even though the screen paint on the front panel looks like it). Everything affects (effects?) everything else.

Or I could be completely wrong. :)

But it's a nice dream!

OTOH, if UA would simply come out with a UAD-2 that allows me to have 32 instances of Neve EQ, Plate 140, Fairchild and 1176 going all at the same time---for under $1,000 I think all this talk with vanish.

In my view There is only one message to give UA now: STOP WITH THE SOFTWARE! Just focus on a single PCIe card with as much power as the Duende/Liquid Mix gizmos for under a grand.

---JC

contramark

why dont u just use the 1176 without much level reduction, or the same with the fairchild? youll get the effect you want without any compression. plus they dont really take that much DSP.

-as for the space echo (tape/sim) i would tend to agree that UA should continue some of the already started research on this plug and make a nice treat for us all.

Arys Chien

contramark said:
...plus they dont really take that much DSP.
I got 4 UAD-1 cards on my 2 PCs and I'm still running out of DSP half of the time....

+1 after +1 :evil:

contramark

id rather see new plugins than re-worked plugins i already own. plus i wouldn't pay for a recycled algorithm already on my computer.

no offense but if you cant figure out how to bounce something down and free up some resources here or there, you are a bad recording engineer in my opinion. i almost enjoy being forced to bounce things down and having less to work with. but maybe thats because i am influenced more by classic albums done this way rather than recent DAW pop stuff.

Arys Chien

Good luck working with your four-track then. :wink: If you are always satisfied with the current workaround and thus reject any possibility.

mixphat

Christmas gift

yeah.... and all that as a Christmas gift to (let´s say) all registered Ultra-Pak users for FREE! ;)
nice marketing strategy, too, think about it !

PEACE

Eric Dahlberg

Suntower said:
What I'm trying to say is that, you can't just rip out 'qualities' of these devices. The various elements you crave just don't function as discrete bits (even though the screen paint on the front panel looks like it). Everything affects (effects?) everything else.
If the 1176LN is truly component modeled, they should be able to pull the transformer out & have it work on its own, just as you can take a real transformer, plug it in to a line, & have it do its thing without any other components involved. We could then use an external gain plug-in to control how hard the transformer is driven.

JuergenW

I would love to get the \"ripped off\" Transformer/Tube etc. algorithms for my Compressors...

It would be fair to offer a \"1176 Transformer\" \"Fairchild Tube\" as a
separate LESS CPU version for owners of the 1776LN and Fairchild Plug-ins.
Look at the 2108 PReamp... this unit rocks because of it´s Transformer
Stage ripped off the 1176..

WHY NOT?? :?:

Eric Dahlberg

I'd say take all the transformers from all the plug-ins & stick them into a single plug-in, then just give us controls for input gain, transformer type, & output gain. This way we'd be getting something completely new & UA would be justified in selling it.

Big Harpe

How about this? (and pardon my ignorance if it's already been done...)

What if someone designed a virtual component construction kit along with virtual schematics to 'wire' the pieces together? You would then have virtual software transformers, capacitors, resistors, etc.. Then we could assemble sub-units and combine their properties to make virtual analog gear.. If UA modeled each component then it would be pretty cool to assemble them with some software.. Just an idea.. I'm sure it's an old idea though, but it still provides food for thought.

F5D

Big Harpe said:

What if someone designed a virtual component construction kit along with virtual schematics to 'wire' the pieces together? You would then have virtual software transformers, capacitors, resistors, etc.. Then we could assemble sub-units and combine their properties to make virtual analog gear.. If UA modeled each component then it would be pretty cool to assemble them with some software.. Just an idea.. I'm sure it's an old idea though, but it still provides food for thought.
I guess they already use this kind of technology and don't want to sell it because they can use that technology to build new plugins which we buy. It would be something like sharing the source code of the plugins if they sold us such a software but I agree that it would be nice. 8)

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
Big Harpe said:

Maybe you should take a look at MAX/MSP and Pluggo.

UAD Bundle Month