• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Hardware Insert 6176 I/O

SirSeanH

Hello, first time post. I searched the forum high and low for this answer to no avail. I recently purchased the 6176 and have tracked in joint mode and now would like to use it as a hardware insert in joint mode. I've ordered a few more TRS/ XLR cables as I just have the one going form the comp output to my apollo. To use the 6176 in joint mode as a hardware insert, can I return to the preamp input only? or do I need to use both I/O on the preamp and comp? TBH, I'm not sure why you would use it in split mode as an insert if you can just bypass the comp anyway. Though maybe there is an application for this? I'm about one more hardware unit away from a patch bay... so hard patching for now. Thanks!

Nyoak34

Established Member
Hello, first time post. I searched the forum high and low for this answer to no avail. I recently purchased the 6176 and have tracked in joint mode and now would like to use it as a hardware insert in joint mode. I've ordered a few more TRS/ XLR cables as I just have the one going form the comp output to my apollo. To use the 6176 in joint mode as a hardware insert, can I return to the preamp input only? or do I need to use both I/O on the preamp and comp? TBH, I'm not sure why you would use it in split mode as an insert if you can just bypass the comp anyway. Though maybe there is an application for this? I'm about one more hardware unit away from a patch bay... so hard patching for now. Thanks!
If you use it in Join mode, you will use the compressor output to return the audio. Input goes to preamp in, that will pass it automatically to the compressor and the comp out will bring it back in.

You can use it in Split mode as two separate units at the same time (on different sources). Using it as a single channel strip, you can use the preamp to add color and gain stage into the input of the compressor. Both applications have their uses. It's a great unit.... very underrated in my opinion.

UAD Bundle Month