• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Helios 69!!

azulay

Well, I read some of the threads about it
and I think you kinda missed this little baby.

I mean, this is an AMAZING EQ!!
IMHO, the best EQ UA has ever done...!

Kick, Snare, Acoustic Gtrs, Vox... WOW!
Absolutely stunning!

Jeraz

Well, I, for one, am buying it. :D

Jeraz

imdrecordings said:
It does seem very cool.

Vibe-y 8)

I don't care for the 10k knob (so far), but for boosting the bottom end and sucking out some harsh upper mid, this thing kills the other plugs.
On my voice, I actually LIKE the 10K...and with Guitar on the API pres too...because the API has some "attitude" in middle octaves, so that a 10K with "attitude" (when needed) is kind of a complimentary thing. :wink:

MikeGS

cane creek said:
is it a hungry plugin cpu wise ? like the neve plugs....

might sound a silly question but ive been away a few days and know nothing of this EQ.

how many instances are folk running on a card ?.
Now that's just what I was gonna ask as might pick it up before the discount ends, but I still only have 1 card at the mo, (although I plan on getting another real soon) but don't really need plugs that are goona kill the CPU.

Sid Chigger

Superman
Forum Admin
4 cards here, running a project with the UAD meter at 40% - add one instance of the Helios to a mono track insert and the UAD meter goes to 43%.. Mem stays the same....

MikeGS

Sid Chigger said:
4 cards here, running a project with the UAD meter at 40% - add one instance of the Helios to a mono track insert and the UAD meter goes to 43%.. Mem stays the same....
Hmmm this seems pretty modest then...might have to get the credit card out :D

Jeraz

And, ya know...sit down, this is a horrifying thought, unless you are old school and knew the days when you only had four tracks to work with...you could PRINT THE FX, or BOUNCE TO CLIP. There I said it... :p

If you only have one card, like me, and need to run hogs like Fairchild (like me), you can always freeze tracks once in a while...and if you use Samplitude, even freeze BUSSES.

:wink:

Sid Chigger

Superman
Forum Admin
What's with the wacky preset names? I'm cracking up at some of them.. :lol:

I'm used to Overhead Tamer, Bass Trick, Clear And Warm, Acoustic Guitar etc.. If I'm in a hurry I'll pick the closest \"rational' looking named preset and go from there.. Can't do that with the Helios! :lol: I'm not griping just wondering..

F5D

imdrecordings said:
The Helios is not a UAD-1 hog.
4 stereo instances per card, not a dsp hog? :eek:

Eurocide

At the first glance I thought \"Oh no, not another EQ!\".
I started the demo and tried to reconstruct the Helios along with PultecPro, 1073 and 1081.
PultecPro can get close but not close enough in the high frequencies.
The Neves have a completely different character. Compared to the Helios I find them now \"polite\".

To cut the long story short: I set the Helios into an actual production and it nailed the synth sub basses and aggressive drumset.
A very powerful bass without mud and clear definition in the treble area.
Couldn't achieve this result with the other EQs. Period. \:D/

In other words for me:
Helios is the chainsaw (in the positive way!),
Neve the carving knife & fine sandpaper,
Pultec something in-between - maybe a rasp?

wishingwell

Sid Chigger said:
What's with the wacky preset names? I'm cracking up at some of them.. :lol:

I'm used to Overhead Tamer, Bass Trick, Clear And Warm, Acoustic Guitar etc.. If I'm in a hurry I'll pick the closest "rational' looking named preset and go from there.. Can't do that with the Helios! :lol: I'm not griping just wondering..
I was trippin off the names of the presets myself :) . "A.K.A Titan", "carmers charmer" "Red dwarf" "Fat old sun" "family man" etc. Somebody was having a jolly good time when they where making those presets :lol: .

Jeraz

eurocide said:
PultecPro can get close but not close enough in the high frequencies.
The Neves have a completely different character. Compared to the Helios I find them now "polite".
Well put...exactly my experience this afternoon! Record on a Broadhurst Gardens or a Pheonix DRS, and use the Helios for a decidedly British touch. LOL.

Titan is another name for Helios! Helios means sun! Family Man was the bass player with Bob Marley! Very cryptic...

GregJ

Fat Old Sun is the name of an old Pink Floyd song.
I think it's on Atom Heart Mother.
What a great album that is!

GregJ

mjau

I don't post here much, but I'm inspired to now after demo-ing the Helios for about 15 minutes. All I can say is wow. I'm buying it for no other reason than it turns my acoustic guitar tracks into things of beauty (which, to be honest, they were not before applying the Helios). Messed around a bit with it on bass (eh, not bad, but not a 1073) and a drum buss (again, not the Neve, but I'll probably use it every now and again).
I can see how this eq will work magic on vocals - that high end is way sweet.

billybk1

Shareholder
All Things Must Bandpass from the classic George Harrison All Things Must Pass.

Great Stuff.....I love it! :)

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
Eurocide said:
A very powerful bass without mud and clear definition in the treble area.
This was my first reaction and it still stands!!!

Couldn't achieve this result with the other EQs. Period. \:D/
Yup it's certainly unique. you really can't have neough EQs

UAD Bundle Month