• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

help me choose my replacement-DAW

WildCowboys

hi guys, my old DAW is now officially broke, I think it is the mainboard. I have tried many things, but nothing worked, so now I need to get a system to replace my old one. the only requirement that I have is: it has to be as powerful as the old one so I can load the old song back into cubase - and it has to be compatible with my 2 UADs and my poco element. And it should be as cheap as possible, no superhighend stuff.

My old system was a dual Athlon MP 2400 setup.

1 -Do you think a single CPU Athlon64 could have the same power as my old dual system? I have one in a laptop and it seems to play in that league, but I am not entirely sure (can´t test it anymore on my old DAW)
If I go Athlon64, which mainboards have proven stable?

2 -I would like to get a Athlon X2 dual-core, single processor system, those will have more power than my old system for sure. It looks to me (from posts here) that with the UAD 4.0 driver the compatibility with the Asus A8V deluxe is ok now, right or wrong? Or are X2 systems still to be avoided?

3 - Or should I look at a dual-core P4? Don´t know anything about those...

4 -I do not want another dual cpu system, too many hassles, temperature, cooling, noise.....

And I forgot to mention that I now have the 3 dsp cards in a magma chassis!

So, any comments to my plans? Is there a big no-no somewhere down the road?

Any help would be VERY appreciated!!!
Thanks you guys!
Pat

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
An X2 on an ASUS A8V Deluxe is the best you can get IMHO. The only problems with that appear when you use a Powercore PCI mkII, but even these will probably be solved soon by TC.

WildCowboys

thanks akis! this was my no.1 choice!
can you tell me which exact model of the a8V deluxe works best?
there is an av8-e model that has a k8t890 chipset as opposed to the normal a8v that has a k8t880 chipset. I guess the normal version is the safe choice. I would like the version that has onboard wireless lan. any objections?

and before I forget, I have a 2-3 year old matrox p750 AGP graphics card. Will I be able to use it on the A8V or is it´s AGP 8X (1,5V) slot different from the old AGP standard?

thanks again,
pat

Akis

I have no clue about the Matrox, but you shouldn't get the A8V-e, that's the one with the PCIe slots. :wink:

Mine came with the wireless LAN option, which is not on-board: it's a PCI card that is included in the bundle. Needless to say, I didn't even bother with it. :roll:

WildCowboys said:
and before I forget, I have a 2-3 year old matrox p750 AGP graphics card. Will I be able to use it on the A8V or is it´s AGP 8X (1,5V) slot different from the old AGP standard?

thanks again,
pat
i've got a matrox p650 working in my asus a8v del with no issues. i'd imagine the p750 would be ok too.

ed_mcg

Captain Caveman said:
WildCowboys said:

thanks again,
pat
i've got a matrox p650 working in my asus a8v del with no issues. i'd imagine the p750 would be ok too.
I have this system and it works well. I elected to not get the A8V-e since some folks have been having problems with PCIe systems. The AGP P650 is cheaper than the PCIe version, so that's nice too.

Drammy

What memory modules are you guys using on your a8V deluxes?

According to the manual, it doesn't support any modules higher than 256MB in Dual Channel mode - that can't be correct surely!

Cheers,

Akis

No, I use 2x1GB DDR400 sticks and it works fine. The manual has other flaws, too, like that it advises you to populate the wrong slot if using only one stick of RAM... (should be slot B2).

Drammy

Crucial or Kingston or...? does it really matter and what do the 3.2.2 numbers mean?

Something I've always wondered but never thought of asking...

ta

Akis

I use Kingston, but I think Crucial, Corsair etc. would be just as good. The numbers represent the memory's latency, but I never bothered with it, dunno if it's really worth it. I mean, the ones I have, which aren't the fastest available, work just fine.

UAD Bundle Month