• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

How does the Boss Dimension compare?

Monkey C

The Boss Dimension D and Chorus pedal in UAD. How does it compare to the originals? Are there any AB tests? Does anyone have the originals to compare?

aevan

The dimension d is very close. To my ears it is a little more 'bitey' (bit harder in the upper mids) than the units in the studio I grew up in but they were at least 10 years old when I got to them. It could be something to do with the noise portion of the original masking some frequencies. The originals were pretty noisy, the plugin is dead quiet.
I guess I'll have to get a noise modelling plugin. Ya know, choose the wire type, insulation color, dodgy capacitor emulation etc.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
I haven't had any experience with the original units; however, when I first used the CE-1, I felt like I had my analog chorus pedal (and old Morley) inside my PC. It sounds amazingly analog, just the closest thing when you want that particular sound.

Giles117 DP

aevan has made a valid point. WE cant necessarily compare the plugin to a 10 or 20 year old version with an unproven service record (especially if we didnt own the one we used)

I recal when UA re-released the LA2A, I complained cuz it was too clean not keeping in mind I was used to hearing/using a unit that was every bit of 20+ years old. Bombfactories emulations where of old units not a brand spanking new unit. As I continued to use it I adjusted my knob turning for the response of this re-issue and grew to love it even more. Tighter compression due to new circuitry and tubes and optical element. Versus the old \"when was the lamp last replaced\" version I used ona regular basis. Even the pultec, I was used to a 17 year old version versus the emu they did.

baronluigi

I own an original CE-1 chorus that I've had since my childhood. It may actually be my oldest possession (something I've had the longest).

The original sounds better, more organic, more lush than the plugin. The plugin does capture the vibe of the original. I think placement in the signal might have something to do with it.

Guitar>Hardware CE-1>Fender Super Reverb>Neumann>LA-610 into PC

vs

Guitar>Fender Super Reverb>Neumann>LA-610 into PC then CE-1 plugin

But the plugin is cleaner, no noise artifacts etc... and is usefull I'm glad I bought it. But I'm not SELLING my original hardware either.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
I don't know if that is causing the difference you hear (and I don't by any means doubt it exists), but the placement in the signal chain definitely plays its role.

Suntower

Established Member
Yeah, that's a huge part of the deal.

Also, I'm finding the 'D' to have less of an 'effect' than the original. It's definitely a bit brighter than the hardware unit from memory. But also it doesn't seem to -do- quite as much. IOW: I almost feel like (even though there ain't one on the original) there -should- be a Wet/Dry mix on the plug---and it should go up to 11.

---JC

baronluigi said:
I think placement in the signal might have something to do with it.

Guitar>Hardware CE-1>Fender Super Reverb>Neumann>LA-610 into PC

vs

Guitar>Fender Super Reverb>Neumann>LA-610 into PC then CE-1 plugin

Monkey C

Thanks! That is what I thought. Still nice to have! But, I think I will still hunt for the originals. Nothing wrong with having both I guess.

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
aevan said:
I guess I'll have to get a noise modelling plugin. Ya know, choose the wire type, insulation color, dodgy capacitor emulation etc.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't forget the bad transformer (collapsing all the time), dodgy VCU, bad transistor and worn valve base

than

We have to keep in mind that we were interfacing entirely in the analog domain when we used the real hardware units. A large part of what we heard had to with the characteristics of our mixing consoles, tape machines, guitar amp, etc. I guess it's true that we need a noise emulator to capture the original sound.

UAD Bundle Month