• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

How long is my Apollo 8 quad and Twin Duo gonna last?

Kero

Hall of Fame Member
In my main studio I have an Apollo Twin Duo and Apollo 8 quad, both TB1 and about 7 years old, working perfectly with an M1 Mac Mini 16gbRAM

At Home I have an Apollo Twin Mk11 just a few months old, with an M2PRO Mac Mini, 32GBRAM, I am concerned that my main studio Apollos may stop working at some point?
So I am thinking of buying an Apollo 8 and include it in my home system, then I will have a much newer system I can replace my studio with with once it stops working?
Any thoughts? maybe just buy the new Apollo and swap my home system with the old studio stuff?

Or am I worrying about nothing, the old Apollos will probably last another 10 years +?

Many thanks

Clbraddock

If you need/want more channels for the home studio then go for it. If you are just buying to “future proof” though, I would just wait until the units you are worried about actually stop working or lose support. When that happens you can buy a new Apollo interface then.

Kero

Hall of Fame Member
If you need/want more channels for the home studio then go for it. If you are just buying to “future proof” though, I would just wait until the units you are worried about actually stop working or lose support. When that happens you can buy a new Apollo interface then.
Cheers Clbraddock, I don't need more channels at home, but I don't want to be recording someone at my main studio and have things break down, and my home system is new and more powerful, and a new Apollo 8 would be tax deductible.
Just not sure what the life span of Apollos are?

Neotrope

Established Member
i have two apollo quad silverface i bought the first month they came out, so almost 12 years? pcie card even longer. no signs of stopping now. answer = long time.

JayFriesen

☝ What @Neotrope said. I’m still rocking my Apollo Duo (silverface) from the same time period. I‘ve lost a headphone output (probably just needs to be cleaned) but as I only ever use one at a time…😝 The only reason I got a new one is I went Atmos.

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
Yep, the Silverface units are almost 12 years old and still supported. Pretty impressive.

flandybob

Established Member
Let’s see if they are racing against RME or metric halo with this :) for now it’s looking good, although there are some not so good examples (live rack for example).

UAD Bundle Month