• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

I need a new desk, this just isn't really working anymore.....I'm scared....

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, I have two and splitting the Arturia Keylab, the Faderport 8, the Push two, the Furman, the Stream Deck and my Babyface is just too cluttered and unfunctional. I'm terrified at the process because they never seem to have what I want, and they seem to be WAY too expensive. Size wise, I can fit a pretty big desk in this room pretty easily but I look around and it seems hopeless and I just give up.

Building one looks to be the best option, but again, really expensive and I can't do it myself. So I thought I'd bug you peeps and see if there is a more logical solution. Good luck to me (and there goes that wallet stash! ) I'm in the states so it's possible other countries will have better options that I simply don't have access to.

aBigPianist

I'm in the same exact boat. I've thought about building something, but it would end up being the grossest misrepresentation of furniture ever.

tomtama

Hall of Fame Member
Last edited:

aBigPianist

I'm not exactly sure what your needs or budget are, but I used a desk similar to his for years. I upgraded when I needed more rack space. I good friend of mine is still using my old desk even though it's over 15 years old.

Studio RTA Creation Station Maple | Musician's Friend (musiciansfriend.com)
I'm actually using one of these. Have been for about 12 years or so. A couple years ago I bought a sit stand frame and mounted the top to it. It's not awful, but for me, I'm just not a fan of the second tier.

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Right now, I can't afford something like this (though maybe in the future, not in a huge hurry)

RAB Audio ProRak 88 Music Production Desk - Black | Sweetwater

What I like about this one is that it will fit everything, but yowzer, expensive. Even though I only have one rack unit, that would be nice. My keylab will fit down below and it would be enough room. But no wheels (which I have and like) and no riser for the monitor.

This is one I can afford now, but I don't think it's long enough:

Inbox Zero Music Studio Producer Recording Piano Stand Desk, Unique & Smart Design Workstation Table & Reviews | Wayfair

But I'm just starting out, I'll give it another couple of weeks and then see, again, not in a big hurry but I want something right this time.

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
The thread from last week mentioned hacking Ikea furniture. The nice thing about that is they have every size you can imagine:

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member

EoSNJ

I made 2 of these a decade or so ago. It's an Ikea desk - legs and surface sold as separate items. Surface is 63X32ish. I added Ikea Capita shelf posts, and put a generic 42 x 12 shelf on it. Each side will hold 3 rack spaces - I have my apollos in them, with an empty space between them. I have wall mount rack panel brackets to hold the gear in them, and put sliders on the bottom so I can slide them in and out if I need to. These are old pics, but should illustrate them sufficiently.

Very inexpensive and easy to build.

One of these days I'll add a tray underneath.

Attachments

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
I made 2 of these a decade or so ago. It's an Ikea desk - legs and surface sold as separate items. Surface is 63X32ish. I added Ikea Capita shelf posts, and put a generic 42 x 12 shelf on it. Each side will hold 3 rack spaces - I have my apollos in them, with an empty space between them. I have wall mount rack panel brackets to hold the gear in them, and put sliders on the bottom so I can slide them in and out if I need to. These are old pics, but should illustrate them sufficiently.

Very inexpensive and easy to build.

One of these days I'll add a tray underneath.
Easy hun? "He don't know me vawy well" :ROFLMAO:

m3medic

I went to the local thrift store and found a giant dining room table. Added some racks from Sound Town off Amazon for 24 spaces and those were the most expensive furniture I've added. Computer monitor is sitting on a $10.00 shelf I found as a store was closing in my area. Nothing else was the size I needed either so it was a perfect find.
I didn't want anything close to a traditional desk and just happened to see the table one day and went for it. Wasn't sure how it would work. That was over six years ago and I'm super happy with it. I can move things to front and center if I need to and off to the side obviously. I got a few laptop stands (left and right, one holding an FM3 the other the H90) that I can pull down and set up things I need to have on an angle.

A few neat end tables hold the Native Instruments S88 controller. I got some wood napkin rings to set under it to give it the perfect height.

Over head lights are usually on and I have quite a few non-musical friend that just want to come over and hang out here so something must have worked out right...

This took years to get finished but overall in furniture I'm in less that $750.00 except for the racks which cost that for all 4 sections. I didn't have to build anything other than putting the furniture together and I'm super happy with it.
tempImageD8lPdf.jpg

Gitaarwerk

Venerated Member
Desks are super hard. The best desks are usually the ones that have one specific function. My choice went for a producer’s desk from StudioDesk. I loved the modulariity. However, the keyboard roll-out desk, which is awesome, just makes me sit not well, as I’m a short guy. So pumping up the chair, makes my knees sit against the keyboard desk. I still enjoy the desk a lot, and not as expensive as other options.
But if I have to make a choice again,… I rather build my own, based of a simple table, and build a top myself. Like EoSNJ.

But, I have GAS, and that means to afford different gear, I’m selling a lot again. So keeping it simple is the best option.

That said, everyone’s wishes are different, and I was a big gear flipper,…

Sorry; the producer desk was called Commander. They deliver world wide. For me, as they are in the EU, it was easier to obtain than many others.

Older picture attached.

Oh, two things I don’t like about the desk;

1. Black means dusting off
2. Be aware if you like a screen close, invest in a good stand/arm. The raiser attached on the table is lovely, but annoying for monitor arms.

Attachments

Sonicland

The RAB ProRak 88 was 1st on my list but my 19" rack has to be at least 5 spaces and they get even more expensive for 6 space units. I ended up getting this

My space is really small and I've got a Roland RD600 88 key piano keyboard. Literally just set it up the other day but so far I'm loving it. Shipping isn't included so it came to about $1500 (Texas to PA, YMMV). AZ Studio has tons of different desks, they were great to work with as I asked for a different speaker height. Still got some work to do but I think this is the final setup.

sonicland.jpg
Money is always an issue but my last opinion is that if you compromise and get something from Ikea or the like, it's gonna look like you compromised and got something from Ikea or the like.

rodd

Hall of Fame Member
hey all, I made a desk a few years ago. It's similar to the Output.com one, except it has 12U of rack space in it. I made mine with only 8u, leaving the center without the side rails, but you could easily add them. I also made the 2 outer rack spaces cut through the main desk, so they are at an angle rather than flat. Cutting that 1.5" thick part was a challenge, but if you have a sawz-all it's not bad. I made it out of 3/4" baltic birch, and where I am they had it in 4x4 and 4x8 sheets. I made a cut plan at the end of the plans to lay it all out. I have the Autodesk inventor files if anyone wants those as well, but I have attached a PDF of it. It cost me under $500 to make, but it does take some time. If you made it out of regular plywood it would be cheaper.

Attachments

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
I need something wider that what I have and I need a tray that either can handle the keylab or at least for the magic keyboard/mouse. Something that has some depth to it. When I get woke up (very late today) I'll post some pics of what I have and try to explain it better. Just starting out here, REALLY appreciate the info and pics!

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Here's my cluster ^%$ of a setup. Cables everywhere, and not intuitive at all.

Well, I works. I'd just like one desk for everything. So wide is good and I really want the lower sliding shelf. Since it's glass now, I can't cut hole in it.

Attachments

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
I thought I resurrect this. So, I've redone things with the Faderport on the left, the Push still in the middle, SD on the right, and the Babyface to the left of the pullout....the magic keyboard in the center of that....of course the mouse to the right. The Arturia Keylab is in the same place as before.

Seems to work really well. As far as a new desk, I can't seem to find anything that would be a dramatic improvement from what I have so I'm going to look into a custom of some kind when I get caught up with some bills, that's likely to be really expensive. Still searching though, you never know, one might pop up.

CraigF

@chrisharbin it *really* isn't difficult to build a desk :)

And I say that as someone who for years didn't even attempt any kind of DIY for fear of disaster. I put mine together for not much money at all using a laminated wooden top from our equivalent of Lowes. I built in nooks rather than rack space as I no longer have any rack gear and it has a pull-out tray for my piano controller. I'd guess I spent at most $300 NZD and it was a fun project.

AnaWhite.com (formerly knockoffwood.com) is a good place to get started for trying to copy furniture you've seen somewhere, btw.

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
I have zero point zero tools.

UAD Bundle Month