• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

iLok to Demo URS? Worth it?

Ben Logan

Any UA'ers bought an iLok to demo the URS plugins? How long do their demos last? What are the limitations? Annoying beeps or dropouts, or are they UA-style demos (fully functioning)?

How do the URS plugs compare to UA? UA's upcoming Neve partership has roused my curiousity...

electro77

Venerated Member
I've been asking for someone to the A/B comparisons with the URS and API 550's thru some High end ADCs, but no one has delivered.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
Ben Logan said:
Any UA'ers bought an iLok to demo the URS plugins? How long do their demos last? What are the limitations? Annoying beeps or dropouts, or are they UA-style demos (fully functioning)?

How do the URS plugs compare to UA? UA's upcoming Neve partership has roused my curiousity...
Demos are fully functional for 10 days. However, if you use some of the plugs in your projects during that period and then you buy them, you'll have to write down the presets by hand and transfer them, as the licensed plugs are named differently.

The URS Fulltec sounds different to the Pultec - you'll have to test both side by side to see what I mean.

baronluigi

yeah they are worth it, I use the URS N (Neve) and A (API) all the time.

been waiting forever for the URS VST PC compressors

diggo

baronluigi said:

I have completely the opposite view.
They are coded by a third party using outdated algorithms and they dont sound anywhere near as good as most people seem to say. Horrible ergonomics and gritty high frequencies. Carefully audition before buying. Look instead at Sonalksis and Tritone's very affordable Hydratone.
If you want the current state of the art plugin EQ, check out Algorithmix.

Sean

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
The VST versions of the compressors have just been released so there's another reason for you. I'll put the SSL up against the Sonalksis soon.

Cat5

Established Member
So far the URS A and N eqs are the nicest I have found in plugin form. they may not be the most flexible, and I agree the interfaces are a hair clunky to use, but they are the most musical and easiest to dial in for me.

I am tempted to upgrade to their full bundle when the new 7 band (incl. filters) A and N eqs make it to VST.

I have not tried the compressors, and since I have been so happy with UAD I have not had the itch since I am not wanting. EQ is another story though. Aside from the Pultec (which I can never make work for me in the low end) the UA is a bit lacking in the EQ arena. URS complements the rest of the bundle perfectly.

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
diggo said:
baronluigi said:

I have completely the opposite view.
They are coded by a third party using outdated algorithms and they dont sound anywhere near as good as most people seem to say. Horrible ergonomics and gritty high frequencies. Carefully audition before buying. Look instead at Sonalksis and Tritone's very affordable Hydratone.
I find the Sonalksis EQ boring. I really like Hydratone though :)

If you want the current state of the art plugin EQ, check out Algorithmix.

Sean
You ain't kidding!! Once you listen to the algorithmix EQs you realise what all the other EQs ( including UAD-1 ) are missing.

Bit of a large wedge of £££££ though :( :)

Akis

Cat5 said:
I am tempted to upgrade to their full bundle when the new 7 band (incl. filters) A and N eqs make it to VST.
AFAIK, the new A-MIX and N-MIX EQ's will be free for current Classic Console EQ/Everything EQ bundle owners; in fact, we won't even have to download new assets.

Big Harpe

Eric Dahlberg said:
The VST versions of the compressors have just been released so there's another reason for you. I'll put the SSL up against the Sonalksis soon.
Eric,

I'm not able to compare the SSL to the Sonalksis, but I have to say that the SSL (free BTW) suits one of my needs. It is simple, which I like, and allows full control over drums assembled in ACID and imported into Cubase. It seems that SSL claims drums are what it's intended for, and it sounds pretty damn nice on them. You just have to add 'enough' and stop, or it compresses the hell out of the track I set the amount at 2.5-3. It loses some of the boom so I pick up the lows with some EQ @ 80. I like it. It definitely colors the sound a certain way, in a good way. I'll post a sample soon.

Akis

I think Eric was talking about the URS 1980 (SSL compressor emu).

Henchman

Checked out the URS compressor demo. And it's really not killing me. Same for the EMI compressor. And the prices they want for these plug-ins are just too much IMO.

Also the URS 1980 (SSL) buscompressor doesn't react at all the way I used to remember it.

Trebor Flow 2

Established Member
I'd been interested in the result of such a comparison. Although I just bought the Sonalksis because I'd heard bad reviews on Gearsluts about the URS 1980, which is the sound I wanted - which I am getting from the Snoaksis 315 I'm pleased to say.

BUT ........ I just heard that SSL have climbed into bed with Waves and Waves have done licensed modells of the G series EQ, channel strip and SSL Bus Compressor.

That makes sense actually both Neve and SSL have been recently bought due to falling sales and ....

SSL have asked Waves to modell their gear

and Neve have asked UA to modell their gear.

So I suppose \"In the box mixing\" will be the future. Have you ever tried to buy a manual typewriter - you virtually can't - they where killed off by PC's. DAW's will do the same to hardware - just give it time.

Trebor

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
Henchman said:
Checked out the URS compressor demo. And it's really not killing me. Same for the EMI compressor.
Have you used the Chandler? I don't have significant experience with it or the plug-in but they both do something I haven't heard with other compressors. To be completely honest, I didn't get the best results from the Chandler but I've heard better engineers do great things with it.

UAD Bundle Month