Instrument Of Praise - Need input on rough mix

ranchdip

Hello all,

HEre is a rough mix that I have done of a band called Skybox.

THIS IS A CHRISTIAN BAND! If you get offended at Christian music please don't listen.

This is just a rough mix of the clean guitars/drums/bass/acoustic guitar. The vocals are just scratch vocals for tracking.

Also, I still need to lay the distortion guitars/lead/back vocals etc..

Please pay special attention to the instrumentation.

I'm using all UAD-1 plugs on this tune. Except for a couple Timeworks plugs.

I would love to have any feedback you can give me, especially on the drums and bass. I've been trying to get the drums to really slam you in the mix and I'm having trouble getting that transient snap that I hear on a lot of pop/rock records (ie Vertical Horizon etc..).

http://www.skyboxband.com/music/INSTRUMENT.mp3

Thanks!

KYle

P4 2.8ghz
Sonar 3
Mytek ADC 24/96
RME Digiface
Syteck/Neve preamps
3 UAD-1 cards
JBL LSRP-28 monitors
Benchmark DAC-1

giles117

Hate to be a butt......Who cares if they get offended by your profession of faith., you dont see them disclaiming their adulturous works. jesus never made excuses or disclaimers for what he preached.

he preached it and if you accpeted you did, if you didnt. Oh well nothing he can do.

Remember this phrase from his lips... Be it unto you according to YOUR FAITH. And as a prting gift Read this scripture section for a reminder.....Matthew 10:32-40

And lastly before the critique, paul said.... I am not ASHAMED of the Gospel of Christ....... And you know the rest...Paul Never backed down telling people about christ and letting them know his lifestyle. Our lifestyle by reason of the anointing that rests on us will condem/offend those not of the faith.

Ok on to a critique, as this is a ruff mix....

Your drums are WAAAAY behind your Gtrs which covers up the attack of the drums by the transients in your Gtrs.

The bass is small, the Rythm Gtr (in the center) is too centered, but then again this is a ruff mix.

How much time did you focus on the relationship between the drums and gtrs????

Pay serious LONG TERM attention to that relationship and it should help you out quite a bit.

Peace.

ranchdip

Well, I put that in there because from previous experience on other boards people who are against Christians or Christian music typically cludder up the thread with nonsense. I simply stated that hey, this is a Christian song, if you don't want to chime in on the mix don't chime in at all. I am very confident in my faith and share it with others very often. It's good to hear another Christian brother chiming in!

Thanks for the input. What you are stating is my delema. When I bring the guitars up to match current pop music styles it seems that a compression takes place on the rest of the program material. Almost like a mixing board with low headroom and bad crosstalk. I can't keep the punch in there and bring the guitars up to where they need to be. If I lower the guitar levels, it sounds more like adult contemporary than rock. I'm using a American Fender P-bass with some extensive bottom end boost. When you say thin, do you mean 80-100 hz thin? The acoustic guitar is dead center becuase it is more of a percusive instrument than anything. I've tried using the stereo signals on acoustic and it lost that percusive feel with the drum kit.

Thanks so much for the input.

Kyle

cAPSLOCK

Nice song. I would love to hear a little hammond on this. I t would be really cool taking the ending.

The drums are giving me the most concern. I would like to hear more overheads. The snare sounds really ponky to me. It very well could be the instrument or technique in which case it is a hard job fixing it. This comment is a matter of taste, but I think there is a little more reverb on the set than I would usually like to hear. I agree that the acoustic guitar is either to centric focally, or a little loud.

cAPS

ranchdip

Thanks for the comments cAPS.

YEah, the snare sounds horrible to me. You wouldn't believe the amount of eq and compressors I had to use on the thing to get it to sound like it does now. I'm not pleased with it at all. Actually, I should have caught it sooner but the drummer was hitting the drums way too hard. The drum heads where cavatating to the point where the drums where losing their tone. Too late now, I'm in fix it mode.

Yeah, the overheads could come up a little. I didn't do as good of a job placing the overhead mics as I wanted. I have too much cymbals and not enough drums. I tried for the first time AT4040's as overheads. I've been using Shure SM-81's. I think I like the 81's better. I really didn't have the time to experiment with the mic positioning like I wanted to.

I've also taken the acoustic down in the mix and panned it slightly off center. The chorus and intro sections where way too loud but the verses where close.

I remember somewhere reading a post on another forum about making drums really snap. I can't remember where, but they were talking about using gates to get the pop/snap on the transcient. (Would a Transcient Designer plug do this?) They where using a mult of the kick, snare, and toms to achieve it. Getting the drums to stay upfront without being obtrusive is the struggle for me on this project. I really haven't had much trouble with this on the last 2 projects. It may just come down to how consistant the drum is hitting the drums?

I may just drop these drums and replace them with Drumagog. I hate too but it's looking like I may need to head in that direction.

What do yall think?

Thanks!

Kyle

ATOR

The snare sounds very irregular, you could try a sidechain compressor on the snare to get the ugly resonance sound out that occasionally pops up when the drummers starts playing loud. Then you could still use it and add an extra snare sample to get it to sound right and in yo face.

The cymbals and hihat have almost no impact or transients. If you've lost them in compression I'd set the comp attack longer. If not, a transient designer could surely help to restore some attack in the cymbals/hihat.

Pieter

giles117

ranchdip said:
Well, I put that in there because from previous experience on other boards people who are against Christians or Christian music typically cludder up the thread with nonsense. I simply stated that hey, this is a Christian song, if you don't want to chime in on the mix don't chime in at all. I am very confident in my faith and share it with others very often. It's good to hear another Christian brother chiming in!

Thanks for the input. What you are stating is my delema. When I bring the guitars up to match current pop music styles it seems that a compression takes place on the rest of the program material. Almost like a mixing board with low headroom and bad crosstalk. I can't keep the punch in there and bring the guitars up to where they need to be. If I lower the guitar levels, it sounds more like adult contemporary than rock. I'm using a American Fender P-bass with some extensive bottom end boost. When you say thin, do you mean 80-100 hz thin? The acoustic guitar is dead center becuase it is more of a percusive instrument than anything. I've tried using the stereo signals on acoustic and it lost that percusive feel with the drum kit.

Thanks so much for the input.

Kyle

Glad I didnt offend you. being in this biz fulltime and a Christian since I was 6 it is agonizing sometimes cuz so many of us who actually helped make this planet a better place to live have been running and hiding because of the opposition. :) I guess i am a vicious fighter.

Anyway.....

What I was suggesting is a mix focus thing. Spend a ton of time making the Gtrs and Drums relate. It means experimentation with EQ, panning and Reverb. it takes time. i have been mixing for quite some time and it is always a work in progress. :)

I didnt say anythign about thin? or did I. Not sure.

Ok so far as the AGtr in the Center, then it needs to be Eq'd to work and relate better with the tone/color of the drum kit as it stands now it is muyddying up the mix.

ranchdip

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hey, I checked out your site. Did you work with some of the earlier Commisioned recordings? Some of that stuff was off the hook man. I've always thought that they had great sounding records.

Kyle

UAD Bundle Month