• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Intel quad mobo with PCI slots/UAD-1 compatible

G

I'd like to keep my current hardware and migrate to an Intel quadcore system. I'll need two PCI slots or a PCIx and PCI for my PCI Magma Host cards.

Any recommendations?........is this hardware option even possible?

Thanks,

bedhoe

Check my specs. This system is working perfectly.

Two PCI-e and two PCI UAD-1's running.

Irish916

LOOK NO FURTHER:

EVGA nForce 650i Ultra 775 A1

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.a ... family=400

More space than you shake a stick at, and this chipset dominates on quad core setups:

Performance
Based on NVIDIA nForce 650i Ultra Chipset chipset
Supports Intel Core 2 Extreme, Intel Core 2 Quad, Intel Core 2 Duo, Pentium EE, and Pentium processors
1066/1333 Mhz Front Side Bus

Memory
4 x 240-pin DIMM sockets
Dual Channel DDR2
Maximum of 8GB of DDR2 533/667/800MHz

Expansion Slot
1 x PCIe x16, 2 x PCIe x1, 3 x PCI
3 x 32-bit PCI, support for PCI 2.1

Storage I/O
1 x UltraDMA133
4 x Serial ATA 300MB/sec with support for RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 0+1
1 x Floppy disk drive connector

Integrated Peripherals
7.1 Channel
1 x 10/100/1000

Multi I/O
1 x PS2 Keyboard
1 x PS2 Mouse
1 x Serial Ports
10 x USB2.0 ports (6 external + 4 internal headers)
Audio connector (Line-in, Line-out, MIC)

Form Factor
ATX Form Factor
Length: 12.0in - 304.8mm
Width: 9.6in - 243.6mm

ASUS P5E3 WS Pro:
Intel X38
1x PCI
2x PCI-x

3x PCIe

FSB 1333 or 1600MHz - DDR3 or DDR2 memory ??

I'm not sure if it's already available. Just saw this recently in a local PC web shop.
I'm looking for an HW upgrade for my PC and it looks as this would be my choice with an Intel Penryn CPU.
CPU und MB should be available at around Jan next year... so it's might be worth to wait a bit... :wink:

hth,

pat

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
ASUS Commando.
BIOS must be 1404 or greater (Flash using built-in tool in BIOS before installing OS)
4 PCI slots
2 PCI-e slots (up to 16x)
Onboard IEEE1394/USB2

I am running this happily here with a Q6700 CPU and 2 UAD-1 cards.
NO problems whatsoever.

G

neil wilkes said:
ASUS Commando.
BIOS must be 1404 or greater (Flash using built-in tool in BIOS before installing OS)
4 PCI slots
Onboard IEEE1394/USB2

NO problems whatsoever.
What kind of audio hardware are you running on this board......PCI? IOW, are you using a PCI slot/IRQ for your audio hardware and two compatible (and not shared by audio card) PCI slots for your UAD-1 cards?

Thanks

mixchange

anyone having success using the core 2 quad q6600 with UADs? I want a quad but the extreme is too expensive. And why are a lot of people not using the 1066 speed ram? Is there a compatbility problem? I'm looking at the q6600 and the intel DP35DPM motherboard, why wouldn't you get RAM that matches the bus speed? I've seen several members here run the 800mhz ram instead.

Irish916

Mix I think you raise some good questions. I would expect the quad performance stability to be on part with the duos, but I could be way off on that. I'm using the C2D with DDR2 rated at 1066mhz, but running at 1000mhz for stability.

In speaking with motherboard and memory manufacturers I've been told that most memory clocks on motherboards cannot sustain optimum operating speed when all banks are filled, or when 2gb is exceeded. In my case, I originally had two 1gb DDR2 modules running, so 1066mhz speed from the FSB and memory controller was not an issue. When I upgraded to 2 more 1gb modules, I was told by the RAM/MB manufacturers that you have back down the clock on the ram as the system won't support 1066mhz across the FSB and through 4 dimms. While I'm able to reach 1066mhz with 4 chips in, I backed it down for stability's sake. The impact on the benchmarks was almost entirely insignificant.

As for why most people are staying with 800mhz ram, I think there are several reasons. Firstly, the 1066mhz chips are merely overclocked DDR modules. There is no true 1066mhz DDR out there. In fact, that speed has exceeded the tolerances for that memory format. What MB manufactureres have done was beefed up the memory clock, and improved cooling, and the memory manufacturers started putting heat spreaders and thermal components to their RAM and slapped a 1066mhz rating on them. Those chips were never engineered to go that fast, so expect failure and issues to be routine with most manufacturers.

The other issue is that cost at an 800mhz chip is a more affordable price point, especially if you want to stuff more chips into your box. With more and more folks making 1066 and 1333 memory, the cost has come down significantly. I think I paid $170 (US) for my 2gb DDR2 8500(1066mhz) kit. Not bad at all.

All this being said, I've found my system to be incredibly stable for the UAD, and all other applications.

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
Animix said:
neil wilkes said:
ASUS Commando.
4 PCI slots
Onboard IEEE1394/USB2

NO problems whatsoever.
What kind of audio hardware are you running on this board......PCI? IOW, are you using a PCI slot/IRQ for your audio hardware and two compatible (and not shared by audio card) PCI slots for your UAD-1 cards?

Thanks
SO Sorry about the tardiness in replying - it's been hectic here.
I'm running the following on the Commando:
1 - Bundled Sound Card not installed.
2 - PCI-e Slot 1 = ASUS EN8500 GT Graphics.
3 - PCI Slot 1 = RME HDSP 9652
4 - PCI Slot 2 = Tekram DC-390 U2/W SCSI card
5 - PCI Slot 3 = UAD-1 #1
6 - PCI Slot 4 = UAD-1 #2
I will be adding a 3rd UAD-1 in the spare PCI-e slot, or else a magma & removing all UAD to this. Not yet made my mind up.

I installed the UAD cards in the following sequence:
Install OS
Install Chipset utility
Update OS
Install Graphics Drivers
Install Soundcard
Install HOST (Nuendo 3.2.1 originally)
Install Software for UAD-1
Add first card
Check correct operation with Host - activate all plugins
Add second card
Check correct operation.
All has been flawless on the UA front.
The *only* issues I have with this setup are
1 - The Graphics card is poor - I get a flickering if using Adobe Products. But *only* with Adobe Products.
2 - I installed Nuendo 4.1, and this has - as is to be expected - some issues as it is effectively a 4.0 build, despite the 4.1 info.

UAD is rock-solid stable here.

UAD Bundle Month