• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Is there still a 2 GB memory limit with UAD1's on the PC ?

When I first installed my UAD1's into my new PC, They would not work at all bwecause I had more than 2Gb RAM.

When I removed the extra memory they were fine.

I was just thinking, now we have had several revisions of UAD firmware, has this been addressed and can I whack in as much RAM as my motherboard will take ?

Cheers

Lizardpoint

Fundy

Established Member
Well a 32-bit host can really address more than 2 GB physical memory however a portion of your pagefile can be used to bridge the memory beyond that limit.

So in a way, what I am saying is if your working with 64-bit all the way (OS, chipset and so on) you shouldn't have any problems addressing more than 2 GB at a time.

In a 32-bit environment, anything you do beyond 2GB's worth of memory is always going to be limited. In theory 4 Gb should be possible, however Windows splits resource in 2 (2Gb for your apps, 2 Gb for system).

I run 2.5Gb of RAM in a 32-bit system (XP Pro). It seems to be OK though, no memory issues [touch MDF].

Middleman

Running 64 bit Vista and the UAD is not working with more than 2GB of memory in the system. Just can't find the card for some reason. I am back to 2GB until the problem is solved.

Fundy

Established Member
Weird. I think it may be a firmware issue more than a software one. Perhaps the revised 4.6 drivers will fix this.

Fundy

Established Member
That's what I did, however later chipsets may work differently from mine.

Qwerty

I had to add the /USERVA switch to get 4Gb to work properly in Windows XP. Windows UAD + XP x64 edition just won't work at all with 4Gb installed.

Q.

Middleman

I found a solution for getting the UAD1 to work in Vista 64 with greater than 2MB of ram.

Here is the procedure.

Run MSconfig from the search box in Vista, when the System Configuration Windows opens choose the Boot tab, select Advanced options, if you have a dual core then select the \"number of processors\" checkbox. Choose 2. Also check the maximum memory box, your total ram should already be in the box below. Now reboot.

The UAD1 should now work with Vista and greater than 2MB. Verified in Sonar 64bit v6.2 and the UAD1 card running the 4.5.1 drivers beta drivers for Vista64.

All my UAD1 plugins are working fine with 3MB for ram.

Thought you would want to know.

Middleman

Just an update. This did not work. The switch looks like you are setting a maximum use of memory above 2GB but in fact it limits memory use above this point. The UAD started working because of this factor. The problem still exists. Sorry for the false alarm.

fulltone

It's an XP64bit problem..
There is NO 64bit support....not if you have \"over 2 ghz of Ram\"...UAD-1 won't operate, no fix in site, just got off the phone with tech support.
Nice waste of my $1000 bucks! and No, I'm not going to dumb-down my Ram for some plugins, thanks just the same

G

Lizardpoint said:
When I first installed my UAD1's into my new PC, They would not work at all bwecause I had more than 2Gb RAM.

When I removed the extra memory they were fine.

I was just thinking, now we have had several revisions of UAD firmware, has this been addressed and can I whack in as much RAM as my motherboard will take ?

Cheers

Lizardpoint
I have run my DAW with 4 x 1G memory sticks with no problems (and 4 x UAD-1's). There is a tweak that must be done to allow programs to utilize 3+ G of RAM and at the time, I was getting 3.30G of RAM usage on my cubase 3x app and BFD. It's been a while but I'll see if I can dig up the tweak somewhere. This tweak must be done for each application on the machine in order for the app to be able to access more than 2G.

G

fulltone said:
It's an XP64bit problem..
There is NO 64bit support....not if you have "over 2 ghz of Ram"...UAD-1 won't operate, no fix in site, just got off the phone with tech support.
Nice waste of my $1000 bucks! and No, I'm not going to dumb-down my Ram for some plugins, thanks just the same
Huh? How did you manage to waste $1000.00 bucks? Just curious.

:?

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
Animix, the thread is about 64-bit Windows versions, where UAD won't work with more than 2GB of RAM.

UAD Bundle Month