Lion '68 - Better than in the online demos...

Carl

Established Member
I have been playing vintage Marshall heads since I was 13 (they were cheap back then) and I have never been impressed by any of all the digital models of Marshall amps I have tried. Until now...

Because my recording room is small and I like to record acoustic drums live with guitar bass and drums. I need something which gives med an inspiring line level guitar sound. I also need something silent to use when I compose with guitar and DAW.

Now I have exactly that since I received my Lion '68. Does it sound exactly like my old Marshalls? No, but they all sound different to each other any what. But the important thing for me is that Lion '69 feels and responds like an old Marshall. It responds great pedals just like an old Marshall.

The app and the bluetooth connection is just as bad everyone else has reported. But since I have access to most of the controls on the pedal, I can live with that until UA sorts out the app or even better releases something for Apple silicon Macs... I rather have a great sounding amp sim with a crap app and crap bluetooth connection than great software and crap sound...

Well done UA! Now just port it to Apollo and you'll sell that to me as well. Ha, ha!

swaite

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for sharing. (y)

The LION made Andy’s Top 5 pedals for 2023 list :cool:

Carl

Established Member
Thanks for sharing. (y)

The LION made Andy’s Top 5 pedals for 2023 list :cool:

It's strange who so few of the YouTubers can capture what it really sounds like. This demo, like many others, makes the Lion sound like a typical mushy digital amp sim and nothing that special. There is a German language demo (which I don't understand much of) that sounds pretty good and then there is this guy who playing Thunderstruck using a Lion, which also sounds pretty good. To be fair, using the cheapest of the cheapest wall-wart SMPSes will compromise the Lion's performance in my experience and perhaps that's what they are using in these demos? I don't know. But I do know that it's impressive when powered with decent quality pedal PSU.

rjjuly

Clean linear, high headroom power is so critical for all audio gear. It makes a huge difference all the way through from the guitar amp (or whatever) and mic pre power supply - the perform/record/mix/master/listen signal path - to the speaker PS. It doesn't require audophile-grade power supplies, just decent transformers and capacitors etc, at every stage instead of cheap crap. It seems such a waste to put so much sweat, effort and heart into the creative process and have it be let down by penny pinching...

- Richard

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member
In my recording space, I use Boss PSA-120S/120 (500ma) V type power supplies.
I ‘think’ everything sounds fine. No unexpected noise, no unexpected behavior.
On two different boards I have a TrueTone 1-spot CS7 with two 500 ma outs and Fender ‘engine room’ lvl5. No issues with those either.
I don’t think the ps needs to be super high end - just capable.

*IMO, the less than stellar tones some of the reviewers get is due more to their inexperience or total lack of experience with the original hardware. This goes for all the amp pedals.

Last edited:

Carl

Established Member
Does the UA-labeled, rather cheaper 500mA also count?
Various user experiences would be very helpful here.
I have no idea. I just noticed that replacing a simple wall wart PSU with a DecibelEleven HotStone I had for spare in the studio, made a significant difference to me. I haven't tried any other PSUs with my Lion '68.

Had mine now for three weeks. It’s a favorite pedal purchase for 2023 and exceeded my expectations. There are some good demos of it out, but nothing quite like putting it through its paces for my own setups. Great pedal. Some of the best modeling I’ve tried. I’m generally an analog modeling fan more than digital for preamps and power amps, but the Lion 68 has it all there. It’s in fx loop 1 of my HXFX unit and in fx loop 2 is my Black Widow Audio Designs MGP-1A Analog Modeling Preamp and my Axiom Effects PAE-1 Power Amp Emulator for my analog preamp + analog power amp modeling. Lion 68 stacks up against those very well still.

SimonA

Also like the lion better than the YT demos I have seen. Awesome strat cleans in both the super bass and lead models, which is often not demoed. Didn‘t fancy the driven tones I dialed in so far at all. But maybe for this the Lion needs to be fed with humbuckers….

Also like the lion better than the YT demos I have seen. Awesome strat cleans in both the super bass and lead models, which is often not demoed. Didn‘t fancy the driven tones I dialed in so far at all. But maybe for this the Lion needs to be fed with humbuckers….
I have only guitars with humbuckers, but they are very articulate PAF’s and I love the cleans on the Super Bass and Super Lead too. It makes for a great clean Plexi modeler.

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member
Drive tones are pretty subjective as well as very personal. So much of it has to do with your touch.
I get nice OD tones (I think) with single coils (strat/tele/jazz master), but I'm an old man so my idea of a good 'driven' sound is probably different than yours. I haven't tried a boost or a drive pedal into the Lion yet. So far, it gives me all the gain I need.
I have put OD pedals into the Dream and the Woodrow and they respond exactly like my BF and Tweed amps.

SimonA

Drive tones are pretty subjective as well as very personal. So much of it has to do with your touch.
I get nice OD tones (I think) with single coils (strat/tele/jazz master), but I'm an old man so my idea of a good 'driven' sound is probably different than yours. I haven't tried a boost or a drive pedal into the Lion yet. So far, it gives me all the gain I need.
I have put OD pedals into the Dream and the Woodrow and they respond exactly like my BF and Tweed amps.
Played some more and managed to dial in drive tones to my liking. Great pedal!

It is very easy to make it sound great and also very easy to make it sound muffled and/or ice picky. E.g. Lion 68 sounds horrible in Leo Gibsons iridium-ir-2 comparison video. Also other YTers completely failed at making it sound great IMO 🤦‍♂️

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, my guess would be that those folks have never actually owned (or are lying that they do) a 4 input Marshall or boutique clone. They are unique animals. Same for a real 50s Tweed Fender.

Yeah, my guess would be that those folks have never actually owned (or are lying that they do) a 4 input Marshall or boutique clone. They are unique animals. Same for a real 50s Tweed Fender.
My experience has been that it dials in the same as my 50 watt Plexi clone. Dialing in sounds has been 2nd nature for me on the Lion 68. I can match settings really and get the same tones. Quite a pedal. They removed the complexities of dialing in a modeler IMO.

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member
My experience has been that it dials in the same as my 50 watt Plexi clone. Dialing in sounds has been 2nd nature for me on the Lion 68. I can match settings really and get the same tones. Quite a pedal. They removed the complexities of dialing in a modeler IMO.
Me too.
I have a 50 watt, Roy Blankenship 1968 Super Lead (plexi) clone. I haven't had a 100 Watter in 30 years. The only difference I notice is that the Lion, being the 100 watt emulation, is that it is a little faster in response with a touch more headroom.

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
It's strange who so few of the YouTubers can capture what it really sounds like. This demo, like many others, makes the Lion sound like a typical mushy digital amp sim and nothing that special.
tbf, once mixed, many modelers sound decent and many tube amps lose their magic. The Axe FX feels unnatural to me when I'm using it but sounds like a perfectly mixed album on playback, while my JTM45 is not as good on recordings as it is in the room.

okcomputer

I played a show with the Lion as my amp. The guys in the other bands could not believe it wasn't a real amp.

UAD Bundle Month