• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Logic 7.1 Bypass Issue still present :-((

marcuswuest

Hi everyone!

I just got L7.1 and played with it a bit.
The PDC seems to work flawlessly, which is great.

BUT:
the Bypass Issue is still present! :eek: :oops: :x :| ](*,)

to be honest, I anticipted it in a way as no one at apple seemed to have a clue about it let alone to be interesed in that issue.
UA didn't tell anything about it due to that NDA agreements they have with apple.
the lack of interest on that issue made it predictable that nothing will be fixed in 7.1.
- and probably never will - tests made clear that it's an issue with the AU protocol. - every app with AU has that problem, VST does work OK.

VST->AU converted plugs don't work again.

Apple stated to me that every adjustments have been made to the AU protocol by the release of LP7.1, so it seems there will be no help from apple in the future regarding this.

But that \"little\" issue causes a major drawback in my workflow, as I always have to render Tracks manually, reimport them, save plugin presets, kill plugin-instances again etc..that really costs time.. :|

Well, I don't know how much priority is on that issue at UA, as it could be politically motivated (you can't really freeze that plugs in logic, so people have to buy more cards to use more plugs).
But that doesn't make sense as the VST Plugs do work in that manner.
so the fact that this is generally possible (with vst hosts) is a huge big-up for UA to priorise technical convienience against economical tactics! Great UA!! =D>

But then it seems unfair for AU users not to be able to benefit from that feature..
By the time (and the release of the still-faulty LP7.1) I don't believe we'll get cure on that anymore so my basic thoughts are wether to base my mixes more on HQ native plugs (like the URS stuf, etc.) or - if I can afford it - to get another host software like Nuendo or Samplitude on PC (which is great!) for (efficiently) mixing my stuff. :-(
but that's ridiculous having to capitulate from such a alleged small issue..

At the end another technical thought:

UA, could it be that your released AU plugs are just kind of VST->AU converted plugins?
My assumtion comes from the fact that you are cooperating with FXpansion with the VST->RTAS thing, and the lower bar (VST Preset load/save) in the AU plugins looks suspiciously similar to other vst->AU converted plugs with the FXpansion Wrapper.

If that's the case, maybe the bypass issue in AU hosts derives from the code of the wrapper and not from the AU protocol itself?

maybe that could be a single thing where apple isn't guilty..
:lol:

OK that's enough for now, I still hope for better days regarding that :wink:

in every other aspect, UA, keep up that good work!

Ciao, marcus

arimaka

let's hope this issue as well as G5 improvements come up in the new tiger upgrade.... let's also hope it doesn't take a month for them to get the ball rolling... I love the sound of my UAD plugs, but I wish they would improve some of these issues...

jon9091

Bypass keeps the UAD resources online, so that automating a bypass will not cause an audible problem. Freezing a track with a UA plug in inserted will release the resources.

best,
Jon

marcuswuest

jon9091 said:
Bypass keeps the UAD resources online, so that automating a bypass will not cause an audible problem. Freezing a track with a UA plug in inserted will release the resources.
This is not true!
Freezing won't release the resource either. When no other UAD plugins are running, the CPU meter says 0, that correct. But as soon as you open any new UAD plugin the CPU meter will show the comsumption of all (active and freezed/bypassed) plugins.
unfortunately...

UAJames

Universal Audio
UA Official
Hi guys,
Currently with UAD-1 v3.8, freezing or bypassing will not free the UAD-1 resources in Logic 7.1. The reason that this is not an issue with native \"host CPU powered\" plugins is that they only create a \"load\" when they are actually doing something. So what happens with Logic is that it will just stop \"calling\" the plugin when you click the Bypass button; it's not necessarily telling it to \"bypass\", meaning it's not telling it that it is no longer needed for processing something. So since it's not actively processing something, it won't induce a \"load\".

With DSP cards, however, when a plugin is loaded, it's required DSP is loaded on the card, simply waiting for some signal to process, unless the plugins are told to \"bypass\" (which as I said is not the case when you click the Bypass button in Logic does it). VST-AU wrapped plugins should exhibit the same behavior, as it's not a plugin format issue, just the way host CPU powered plugins work. The good news is that since Emagic made some changes specifically for us, our next software update will take advantage of these and the UAD-1 plugins will release their DSP resources on bypass/freeze (there will be a preference in the UAD-1 Meter to either release or not release the DSP resources on bypass).

BTW, these are not AU specific issues, if you bypass a UAD-1 plugin in Digital Performer, it will release the DSP resources (however, this produces a problem with the new Dynamic CPU managment system. It works better in DP if you do not have it release all the DSP resources, for the reason that jon9091 said \"so that automating a bypass will not cause an audible problem\". This is why we are making it a preference ;)

marcuswuest

UAJames said:
The good news is that since Emagic made some changes specifically for us, our next software update will take advantage of these and the UAD-1 plugins will release their DSP resources on bypass/freeze (there will be a preference in the UAD-1 Meter to either release or not release the DSP resources on bypass).
Wow, GREAT !!!!!
I can't wait to have the new UAD Software..:)
Believe it or not, this (rather little) issue was the one that bugged me the most. great that you and apple responded to that!

UAJames said:
BTW, these are not AU specific issues, if you bypass a UAD-1 plugin in Digital Performer, it will release the DSP resources (however, this produces a problem with the new Dynamic CPU managment system. It works better in DP if you do not have it release all the DSP resources, for the reason that jon9091 said "so that automating a bypass will not cause an audible problem". This is why we are making it a preference ;)
oh, ok...
well, I saw some testing on peak and there was the same problem with AUs as in Logic. bypassing VSTs in peak, however, worked fine. that's why I assumed that's an AU issue..

UAJames

Universal Audio
UA Official
I wouldn't be surprised if Peak was using the same implementation of AU as Logic, giving the same results when you bypass. :roll:

awsome news!

cannot wait for the new drivers (but i will :hihi:)

keep up the good work at UA!

UAD Bundle Month