• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Logic problems - culprit looks like UAD-1

benj_sp

Venerated Member
Hi guys,

I'm having a furstrating time here working on a mix. It was all going well until I start to get freezes, Logic consuming 99% of resources, the mouse going all jittery.

It seems to only be happening when the UAD is heavily loaded (I'm running about 80% UAD performance, just one card) - so I starting to think that instead of an audio driver problem which I'd assumed it to be, maybe it's the PCI bus being overloaded (I'm using an Audiowerk2 PCI soundcard).

(In fact thinking about it, it's *not* the audiowerk crashing, as when it does you have to restart the computer, as just restarting Logic doesn't fix it, but in this case, restarting Logic always fixes the problem and the audiowerk is still there working fine.)

Any tips I can try to improve the problem? I don't need to add any more UAD plugs, I just need Logic to play this mix without randomly freezing every few minutes - gah!! Any tweaks to some PCI settings I can try?

I have a M-Audio FW410 interface and I was going to try that (at least it gets the audio off the PCI bus), but despite the install going fine and everything appearing to work, the drivers just refuse to do anything, which is annoying, as using that might show me whethher it is a PCI bus issue or not.

In the meantime, I'm of to have a omre thorough forum search to see what I can uncover.

PC WinXP SP1

JuergenW

You should be aware of activating any Track to LIVE-MODE:
which means if you \"record-enable\" an audio-instrument
in order to play by midi, it is in live mode... logic can be very
sensitive to this, and a lot of times one can accidentaly
record enable an audio-inst. by clicking on the track the
arrange window...

hope that helps... other workaround may be a larger buffersize,
or the last hope: deactivate some of the UAD-Plugins, and bounce
the song halfwise (one bounce without vocals and lead, one bounce
only vocals and lead) and combine them in a second song by simply
mixing them together.

hope that helps

benj_sp

Venerated Member
Hi Juergen, thanks for the response.

JuergenW said:
You should be aware of activating any Track to LIVE-MODE:
Yeah I know, that's not the issue. This song is all audio files, not instruments, and nothing is record enabled.

JuergenW said:
hope that helps... other workaround may be a larger buffersize,
Believe me, I'm trying every combination of settings I can! Nothing seems to help so far. My PC has been rock solid until now, and this is the first time I've pushed the UAD usage (although actually I'm only using about 70 per cent on the UAD meter, with 8 plugs). Seeing as how people are running two or three cards, I can't imagine that one UAD running at 70 per cent / 8 plugins / 24bit is going to overload the bus.

JuergenW said:
or the last hope: deactivate some of the UAD-Plugins, and bounce
the song halfwise (one bounce without vocals and lead, one bounce
only vocals and lead) and combine them in a second song by simply
mixing them together.
Trouble is, I'm trying to mix, so the very act of bouncing down stuff means I have to commit to mixing decisions I haven't made yet! Also, some plugs are doing bus processing to bouncing is not an option there.

I've still got a few more troubleshooting steps to try. I just installed the latest UAD version with no improvement (was running 3.6 before).

What I really want to do is get the damn FW410 running, as that way I can eliminate (or not) the soundcard from the equation.

Sometimes computers can be so annoying. This one's been deliberately conspiring against me to destabilize my mental health, I think... :evil: :roll:

benj_sp

Venerated Member
Ok, it's definitately the UAD (or some system related thing that's causing the UAD to exhibit this behaviour) that's causing the issue. I just took a blank song, added an audio file and started pilling on UAD plugins on that channel.

After I got to the point where the UAD could not add any plugins (complained about lack of DSP resource) - I was on about 88% at the point (with a system limit set to 95%) - Logic did the usual freeze/glitch mode, where it just sits and consumes 99% of the CPU.

Anyone else had anything similar? I can understand not being able to play a song that requires too much DSP, but to lock up the whole computer, forcing a force-quit and restart, seems a bit crap for the UA pedigree... :(

Edit: Hmm, maybe it's a more general Logic issue on my system. I've just managed to replicate the behaviour on my song after removing all the UAD plugs, so none of the UAD stuff was running. Something flaky and temperemental is definitely going on, but I don't think it's the UAD card... *sigh*

I'll get my coat...

JuergenW

I work on both, Windows with 5.5.1 and OS X with 7.2.1.

With Windows and the 5.5.1 somehow strange things occur. This
maybe because of the old VST/ASIO integration of Logic 5.
However a lot of my friends are still working with 5.5.1 and
new Plug-ins successfully. (what doesn´t mean that 6/7 was/is
bug-free :wink: )

Sometimes only a reinstall works. Try to delete the preferences,
sometimes that helps. Maybe go back to an older UA-Software
Version - but if that´s not the issue I would recommend a re-install,
which is in the end also a timesaver...

benj_sp

Venerated Member
I'm also going to try the old \"PCI card shuffle\" as well and see how that works out, as there's something flaky at low level which is causing this instability, and the UAD is sharing resources by the looks of it...

UAD Bundle Month