• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

LOOKING FOR A MIC PRE help!

audioeren

I now have a Neumann U87 ai connected to an Avalon M5 pre-amp. I'm after that Timbaland/Scott Storch kinda Vocal recording quality, think of Justin Timberlake/Nelly Furtado/Mario/Chris Brown. The album what i'm working for is almost done (music-wise). I now have to record the vocals so check this out.

I find out that the M5 sounds to \"pussy\". Just not that strong enough for that type of sound what i'm looking for. So i'm gonna sell the M5 and buy something else. I was thinking of the Avalon VT 737 (because that's the budget i have now). I know of his crappy compressor but scott storch uses the 737 and he turns the compressor off.

Or should i do more something like an universal audio SOLO 610 + a compressor/eq or something.

Or do u have some other Pre-Amps that'll be close to the sound of what i'm after (Timbo Scott Storch etc. etc.)

Please Help me out. The Album needs to be Finished in december.

Eren

chewie

I´ve always seen the Avalon´s as a bit overpriced/overhyped...

I´d go for either a Daking Pre/Eq, Chandler TG Channel or a Chandler LTD-1.

Nothing \"pussy\" about either one of 'em :lol:

BTLG

Established Member
Great River ME-1NV.

I bought it last year and have never been unhappy with it on a source.

Juha

Just Starting Out
I find out that the M5 sounds to \"pussy\". Just not that strong enough for that type of sound what i'm looking for. So i'm gonna sell the M5 and buy something else. I was thinking of the Avalon VT 737 (because that's the budget i have now). I know of his crappy compressor but scott storch uses the 737 and he turns the compressor off.
By saying it sounds too pussy you mean it lacks some punch? If that's so, it's not a new preamp you want, you want a properly set compressor on your vocals.

By the way, I just got me a M5 while ago and really think it's a quality preamp. Very transparent.

BTLG

Established Member
audioeren said:
I find out that the M5 sounds to "pussy". Just not that strong enough for that type of sound what i'm looking for. So i'm gonna sell the M5 and buy something else. I was thinking of the Avalon VT 737 (because that's the budget i have now). I know of his crappy compressor but scott storch uses the 737 and he turns the compressor off.
That's funny, the Avalon 737 actually has a really nice compressor. I actually think the mic pre sucks balls though.

The sound you're also hearing on those records is probably a Sony C800G (mic). The 737/c800G combo seems to be all the rage these days.

It's probably not the M5 that sounds 'pussy', but rather the U87, which to me is very overrated as a vocal mic.

Matt

beyeraudio

What you most likely need is a good solid state mic pre, tube is great but not neccessarily what you are looking for. Of course the Massenberg is great, for less you can get a Daking, Oram, or one of the Trident or Toft modules. These are all clean and punchy, with the Daking being a bit aggresive in a good way (with a good amount of sheen on top). The Eqs that come in these are amazing-some of the best top end you will hear. You could also try different mic, an AT 4033 or 4047 would be a great premium and cost effective choice. Also an original english Joemeek VC1(pre/comp/eq/enhancer) is a great choice, and the compressor is killer! The Meek is also very inexpensive and can be had on ebay for about $350-$600.

.mr chris

greetings

probably you like to try out the UA LA610, maybe also in parallel mode... 8)
.c

Jeraz

You know...I am guessing that you want something clean with a touch of color, and with some dimension to the sound. I know that sounds strange, but some pres are both more detailed, and richer in that detail, so sound \"deeper\".

If that is the case, then maybe don't overlook API either. I use an A2D, and you can pick them up for around US$1,800 now! That's two renowned 312s, fantastic converters, and tranny taps...so if you want, you can engage the 2:1 taps, and you can can drive the bejesus out of the op-amps and get tube-like harmonics in your transients when you are using on something else (other than a vocal).

There is no question about the b@lls of API stuff, or the quality, and it is less aggressively colored than the Chandler or Neve gear, so has wider application for a budget home or project studio.

Just some additional thoughts.

UAD Bundle Month