Luna not recognizing Streamdeck

axelantunes

Hello friends, my name is Axel and I have a question.
I started using Luna yesterday, and I'm studying some videos to learn how to work with this Daw.

I've made progress in many areas, but there's something I haven't managed to do yet.

Working with a Mac Studio Ultra, (sonoma 14.4.1) I've been able to use my streamdeck to work normally in another Daw.
However, in Luna, in the part where we choose the midi controller, all my midi devices are detected except the streamdeck.

In the other daw, it appears as an IAC driver and continues to work perfectly, but it doesn't appear in Luna.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to solve this problem?

Thanks so much!

Quint

Venerated Member
Stream Deck isn't a midi device, per se. SD only sends or receives midi if you're using a plugin inside the SD which is able to send or receive midi, such as the midi plugin from Trevliga Spel. Even then, you have to create virtual midi ports for use with Trevliga's plug, and then point Luna to those on the hardware controller page.

SD won't work as a midi controller with Luna because Luna only works with MCU, not midi, but the SD WILL work with Luna using MCU.

Last edited:

axelantunes

Hello Quint, thank you for your prompt reply.
It's actually the way you described that I use streamdeck in another DAW, installing the trevliga spel plugin and configuring the midi input and output.

What seems strange to me is that in the same way that I easily configure this in another DAW, in Luna, in the part where you select the controller, I can't find the streamdeck plugin.

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure. I have a SD and Luna but I only use the key commands.

As far as midi is concerned Quint, it does indeed do that, but it's a tricky situation and I don't use it. When I did Live I bought some kinda pack (can't remember the name of the company) and went through the procedure. It kinda worked, but I eventually gave up.

Quint

Venerated Member
Hello Quint, thank you for your prompt reply.
It's actually the way you described that I use streamdeck in another DAW, installing the trevliga spel plugin and configuring the midi input and output.

What seems strange to me is that in the same way that I easily configure this in another DAW, in Luna, in the part where you select the controller, I can't find the streamdeck plugin.
Actually, I think I now remember maybe running into this issue. Luna wouldn't see the virtual ports unless the names of virtual ports had the "IAC" identifier as the first part of the virtual ports name.

I have no idea why that mattered, but it did. Try that. Rename your virtual ports to include the IAC at the beginning. There's a checkbox or whatever in the Mac AudioMidi setup page that will add the IAC to the name.

Quint

Venerated Member
I'm not sure. I have a SD and Luna but I only use the key commands.

As far as midi is concerned Quint, it does indeed do that, but it's a tricky situation and I don't use it. When I did Live I bought some kinda pack (can't remember the name of the company) and went through the procedure. It kinda worked, but I eventually gave up.
I wasn't saying that SD can't do midi, though for SD to do midi, it requires a plugin, so, technically, the plugin is what is doing the midi, not the SD, as the SD is basically a fairly dumb box of buttons, and the individual plugins are what do the heavy lifting.

However, what I WAS saying was that Luna doesn't do midi for HW controllers.

Last edited:

axelantunes

I did it! Thanks to your advice, Quint.
I just changed the name in the midi config to IAC Driver, and it was recognised naturally. Now I have to study how to map the controls I need. But I don't anticipate any difficulties (I hope LOL)

axelantunes

Well, it looks like I overestimated my ability to follow through with the setup in question.

Although I can now recognise the streamdeck within Luna,

However, after a few hours reading some posts and reading the manual, I still can't get the transport commands, via mackie control, on the streamdeck to be activated on the Luna.

I selected IAC Driver in the setup of controllers, input and output, created a new profile in the streamdeck, and in it I added 3 midi buttons, mackie control, and selected ‘transport’ and chose Play, Stop and Record.

Nothing works and only yellow exclamation marks appear on the deck.

Can anyone shed some light on my inability? Sorry for disturbing your time

Quint

Venerated Member
Well, it looks like I overestimated my ability to follow through with the setup in question.

Although I can now recognise the streamdeck within Luna,

However, after a few hours reading some posts and reading the manual, I still can't get the transport commands, via mackie control, on the streamdeck to be activated on the Luna.

I selected IAC Driver in the setup of controllers, input and output, created a new profile in the streamdeck, and in it I added 3 midi buttons, mackie control, and selected ‘transport’ and chose Play, Stop and Record.

Nothing works and only yellow exclamation marks appear on the deck.

Can anyone shed some light on my inability? Sorry for disturbing your time
You have to scroll down to the bottom of the GUI window for the Midi plugin and select your input and output midi channels, which should be the virtual ports that you created.

You've only created one end of the connection when you select the virtual ports in Luna. You still have to make the connection at the other end, within the Midi plugin itself. There are instructions on how to do all of this on Trevliga's site, but it's pretty simple, as I described in the first paragraph above.

axelantunes

I'm so sorry, I see now that the developer talks about that in the 'known issues'
Sorry to bother you. I'll try with global settings but I have no idea what to do with those scripts and stuff.

UAD Bundle Month