• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

mac a bit noisier after installing 2nd card

taylor

now that my 2nd card is all in and working i'm noticing an increase in my mac's noise.

it's a G5 (dual 2.5) and has been pretty darn silent for the most part.

now, however, i'm getting a sort of irregular whine/hum that's pitched at a G.. like, 5th octave G..

i don't know if this is due to my mac straining more to power a 2nd card.. or perhaps something else i did wrong while installing it.

does the mac have to \"work harder\" even when idle.. if more PCI cards are present?

anyone experience increase fan/noise activity after putting more than one UAD in?

thanks.

taylor

bump?

i can't be the only one here on a G5 with more than one card!

anyone? noisier G5 (fans, etc) after putting 2nd card in??

jimmymio

Sorry, I can't answer because i only have 1 card in my G5 but I'm looking to buy a second so I too am interested in your question and look forward to an answer. In the mean time, have you checked with tech support?
JP

taylor

i haven't, actually... assuming if anything, it's a mac issue, not a UAD issue.. bu, they would certainly know the simple fact of whether or not more cards = more power draw/fan activity on the Mac..

i will call them..

jimmymio said:
Sorry, I can't answer because i only have 1 card in my G5 but I'm looking to buy a second so I too am interested in your question and look forward to an answer. In the mean time, have you checked with tech support?
JP

This is why I put my multiple cards in a magma instead of in a G5. My dual 2.7 G5 is very quiet now. the additional card adds more heat which causes the G5 fans to spin up more often to cool the case down.

You get the cards out of the case and into a Magma and you will not hear the fans any more...and you won't really have to deal with the PCI-X/multiple card issues either.

(Oh...and I replaced the power supply in the magma and lined it with sound dampening material also...because the magma expansion chassie has a history of sounding like a hair dryer too...and it is now virtually silent).

taylor

THANKS, sounds like a chassis might solve it.. i'll need one anyway when i move to a new mac...

be using that new chassis that slots PCI cards, but ends in a PCIe slot...

Brian W. Ralston said:
This is why I put my multiple cards in a magma instead of in a G5. My dual 2.7 G5 is very quiet now. the additional card adds more heat which causes the G5 fans to spin up more often to cool the case down.

You get the cards out of the case and into a Magma and you will not hear the fans any more...and you won't really have to deal with the PCI-X/multiple card issues either.

(Oh...and I replaced the power supply in the magma and lined it with sound dampening material also...because the magma expansion chassie has a history of sounding like a hair dryer too...and it is now virtually silent).

taylor said:
THANKS, sounds like a chassis might solve it.. i'll need one anyway when i move to a new mac...

be using that new chassis that slots PCI cards, but ends in a PCIe slot...
The Magmas have a history of being louder than the G5 fans that you are trying to get away from though. Just be prepared that you may have to alter the Magma yourself to make it quieter as well. Its power supply is just a regular ATX powersupply though. So for under $100 you can buy a silent power supply like the Enermax Noisetaker and replace the one in the Magma with it...and then the Magma will be quiet too.

macmusic78

more cards=more heat=more fan noise
Yes and it gets worse with 3 cards... but i have my mac nocw in the other room and an 10m montior extention - works great...enjoy the silence!

xist

How do you deal with the usb devices (midi, controllers, etc.) if you keep your mac in another room?

Do you have any link for cables and all the needed things?

macmusic78

yes i have a dvi cable to the monitor, a firewire and usb2 cable to 2 belkin hubs )active - it works great and i would never want to go back to having a computer in my listening enviroment.

taylor

could easily be taken care of with a 25' USB cable leading to a HUB in the studio...

all MIDI and usb would go thru the hub and a USB midi interface...

xist said:
How do you deal with the usb devices (midi, controllers, etc.) if you keep your mac in another room?

macmusic78

i forgot - i have also an external firwire drive from lacie in the room -no fan - so i really don't need the mac near me.

macmusic78 said:
more cards=more heat=more fan noise
Yes and it gets worse with 3 cards... !
You have the exact same setup I'm aiming at. Alas, I have no chance to put away the G5... how bad is the noise? Noticeable, annoying or unusable?

Also, with 3 UAD-1s how many heavy weight plug-ins do you manage in a typical 44.1 kHz session. My dream would be to have different virtual Neve boards...

macmusic78

well without pci cards i never noticed my g5 with 1 i did't realize a change with 2 i noticed but put up with it with 3 i had to throw it out of the room - but this also depends on room teperature.... and also i am in a small room - AND record vocals in that room.
I've seen professional mixers put their computers in a corner of the toilet... :) all you need i a hole in the wall...

how many pligins? i don't count - but its very workable if you use se versions.. i guess there will always be limits

Thank you for the reply :D
I'll have to consider wheter it's more important to have a silent enviroment or mega power....

NEWRIGEL

Shedua 511 said:
Thank you for the reply :D
I'll have to consider wheter it's more important to have a silent enviroment or mega power....
Or MEGA WALLET hehe....

xist

For those of you who talked about HUBS, could you give any example link? I'm not sure what to look for...

thanks

taylor said:
could easily be taken care of with a 25' USB cable leading to a HUB in the studio...

all MIDI and usb would go thru the hub and a USB midi interface...

xist said:

UAD Bundle Month