• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Mac OS X RAID

pogo

Does anyone use the software RAID options in Disk Utility? Do you use it for redundancy, performance, or both? Is it worth the effort?

Emerson

No one answering

Hi, I see that no one has replied so I'll try and help you out. I've used RAID configurations for many years, both in the PC and my Mac G5 without any problems, per se. I say 'per se' because the RAID set up is notoriously unstable and I learned a long time ago to make sure I back up my data every day without fail. If you do this, you'll be fine. I haven't had any problems with the Mac--yet, but I am very cautious when it comes to losing data with the RAID systems so I still back everything up before I quit.

I have mine set up for Performance which only requires two drives. However, if you have four drives (or, depending on the software, three drives) you can set it up for Performance and have the data saved to the extra drive. I also discovered once when I lost data that I could retrieve it with a good software recovery program as it was still on the disc. Unfortunately that was on the PC and so I don't know what you could use if the same thing should happen to you on the Mac. Hope this helps.

UAD Bundle Month