Mac system sound routed to Apollo doesn't follow the assigned output

jnTracks

Venerated Member
Hello!
I recently reset my macbook with a totally fresh 12.7.4 OS (what it was before just wiped the drive and reinstalled from recovery)

After installing everything, the update which contained the new console is what installed. I didn't have that before the wipe, in case that turns out to matter.

I'm now seeing that system sound works through the apollo, but it doesn't follow the assigned outputs in audio midi setup.
Sound is routed to PCIe UA Apollo, and speakers are assigned to Mon L and R. But the sound arrives in console on virtual 1 and 2.
If I set audio midi setup to assign to the virtual channels like V1 and 2, there is no sound at all. Anything other than MON L R gets no sound, and when assigned to MON L R, the sound goes to virtual 1 and 2.

What's going wrong here? Could this have something to do with the new console beta? Is there a way to roll back?

Also, chrome is no longer outputting sound to Apollo. Was working fine yesterday but after a reboot today I get nothing. All other apps work as described above. Apparently this is a chrome bug which keeps coming and going and there's no way around it?

But I just feel like this was all working as directed before, following the audio midi routing for years. And now it doesn't listen so, what's up?

Thanks!

jnTracks

Venerated Member
To add, I did recently realize that I needed to set my virtual channels to isolate... because they kept irritatingly getting muted whenever LUNA launched or closed, requiring me to open console and change that and the close console again... and then repeat that when I closed or opened a session....
Is this related somehow?

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
To add, I did recently realize that I needed to set my virtual channels to isolate... because they kept irritatingly getting muted whenever LUNA launched or closed, requiring me to open console and change that and the close console again... and then repeat that when I closed or opened a session....
Is this related somehow?
No, this is normal workflow with LUNA.

Chrome has had audio issues in the past as well.

jnTracks

Venerated Member
Thanks, I'll give that UAD reinstall a try this weekend for the routing.

(and then this morning chrome is making sound again, with no updates or reboots.... [facepalm])

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
Thanks, I'll give that UAD reinstall a try this weekend for the routing.

(and then this morning chrome is making sound again, with no updates or reboots.... [facepalm])
Indeed, as mentioned, Chrome has a bit of a checkered past with regard to audio.

rickwaters

Established Member
I've yet to find the easy way of stopping the auto update of Chrome.

I have rolled back as Drew mentioned, but it just keeps updating.

jnTracks

Venerated Member
Update:
I did a full uninstall and delete prefs on the UAD software.
Reboot.
Reinstall... The routing behavior is exactly the same. The only routing of sound from mac that works is sending it to MON LR, which appears on virtual channels 1-2, instead of MON. Any other settings gets no sound to any channel.

I guess it's a call to support?

UAD Bundle Month