• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Magma?

Beat God

Can we have an official magma thread that includes:
What works?
Best place to buy used other than ebay?
Which can be used with PCI-E?
How to set it up?

Thanks

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
If you do a search at the Tech Info/FAQ section of this forum, you'll find some setups with a Magma/SBS etc.

MarkE

Hi,

I've just bought one (Magma 32/33 7 slot) via Sound on Sound's Readers Ads for £275. It's got the old flat style cable so therefore I wont be able to buy the PCIe adaptor for it and if I upgrade my mobo I'll have to take that into account of course. I was considering buying new. I really don't feel comfortable with Ebay. When I saw the ad on SOS it had a phone no. so I gave the seller a call and satisfied myself he was ok.

Anyway, it arrived on Monday. I tranfered my 4 cards into it connected the Magma host card to the PC and started it up. WinXP installed the drivers automatically and I was prompted to install the UAD drivers for each card and that's it, it feels exactly like it did before. I loaded up a mix with 86% load and left it playing for about 4 hours, not a pop or click in earshot. Now I can install the spare Layla24 I've had knocking around for ages and have 16 analog I/O's and upto 16 digital I/O's.

I'm very pleased with it,
Mark

Edit: Link to SOS if you want to check it out:
http://www.soundonsound.com
Edit2: When I was considering buying new I got a quote from a company called Amplicon for £1210.26 ($2248.29) :eek: . It was the 26p that made me look elsewhere!

him

If you already have several UAD-1 cards like four as i do, second hand magma is a good choice to extend the life cycle of those cards. It needs only a pcie card and a new cable which costs usd299.00 to upgrade to pcie-pci solution.

Beat God

akis i know u can find all of the info i asked 4 using the search. my goal is to put all of this info in 1 place, as we don't. thanks mark good info.

UAfan

him said:
If you already have several UAD-1 cards like four as i do, second hand magma is a good choice to extend the life cycle of those cards. It needs only a pcie card and a new cable which costs usd299.00 to upgrade to pcie-pci solution.
Unfortunately that is not the case if you have the older chassis using the flat cable. The company has confirmet that this version is not possible to upgrade to use a PCIe interface card at all.

him

UAfan said:
him said:
Unfortunately that is not the case if you have the older chassis using the flat cable. The company has confirmet that this version is not possible to upgrade to use a PCIe interface card at all.

I saw this on their site....
http://www.mobl.com/expansion/products/ ... rades.html

PEHIFX1 Upgrade: Buy the Magma x1 PCI Express host card (Model PEHIFX1) for only $299. The Magma PEHIFX1 connects to the same black 68-pin cable included with previous generation Magma expansion chassis. This upgrade provides the most cost effective and easy migration path to new PCI Express computer and servers.

If your Magma expansion chassis is more than one year old, it is recommended that you purchase a new cable (PN: CBL1HF) for $99 with your new PCI Express host card.

UAfan

him said:
UAfan said:
him said:

I saw this on their site....
http://www.mobl.com/expansion/products/ ... rades.html

PEHIFX1 Upgrade: Buy the Magma x1 PCI Express host card (Model PEHIFX1) for only $299. The Magma PEHIFX1 connects to the same black 68-pin cable included with previous generation Magma expansion chassis. This upgrade provides the most cost effective and easy migration path to new PCI Express computer and servers.

If your Magma expansion chassis is more than one year old, it is recommended that you purchase a new cable (PN: CBL1HF) for $99 with your new PCI Express host card.

Unfortunately that is for units with 68-pin connectors on the chassis (round cable), not the flat 80-pin cable. This is the reply i recieved from the company:

"Thank you for your continued interest in our products. I am sorry, but
our current and newly released host cards have 68-pin connectors and
will not be compatible with your 80-pin unit.

There is no upgrade path for your 80-pin unit to 68-pin because our
current backplanes will not physically fit into the chassis.

I am afraid that if you are interested in using our PCI Express host
card you will need to purchase one of our current units.

If you should have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Heather Schell
Account Executive"

I think the description on their site is inaccurate and misleading, I also thought I had an upgrade path, but the "flat cable" chassis is a dead end PCIe-wise. Unless something has changed since late August this year.

Demetrious

Unfortunately Magma might just have forgot to tell you that item PCIEIF68 ,PCI Expansion Interface (inside 13 slot chassis) for $299 should work in most if not all Magmas including 7 slot ones. Take out your 80 pin PCI Expansion card and replace it with PCIEF68. http://www.mobl.com/expansion/support/parts/

Only problem is now it will cost $299 for the above plus another $299 for the PEHIFX1 http://www.mobl.com/expansion/products/ ... rades.html

Note that even though there is another EXPENSIVE option \"PE6NE Upgrade\" ( http://www.mobl.com/expansion/products/ ... rades.html ) gives a better performance with Protools it might not work with a UAD-1 as mentioned on page 2 of this thread “Magma PCI to PCIe Upgrade Solution HERE” in the mac section of this forum http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/vie ... 0&start=15 by Giles117 DP

Demetrious

I'm only saving you $900. maybe it might be better to pay $1,599 for 7 Slot 32-bit/33Mhz PCI Expansion (Rack-mount) and x1 PCI Express host card

if you can't be bothered to swap out a PCI card :?

I know what I would rather do 8)

UAfan

That's interesting info, also about Magma not being quite accurate in their replies (!). Anyway I'm sort of getting fed up with all these constantly moving platform issues. I'm at the present exploring the analog route, just got me a 1\" 16 track Otari multitrack, a 2-track Studer, and a 32 channel inline Soundcraft console (and I have a technical background to maintain them, no free lunch). So I'm thinking of using one PC as a UAD external effects box, and another for Cubase. The new Intel dual (and more later) core's looks interesting though ...

M.

UAD Bundle Month