Mics (NOT expensive) for vocals

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm NOT a good singer. I can hit pitch pretty well, but I need to get some vocal stuff done for a couple of tunes I'm working on. I think I want a Rode because they are high quality and don't break the bank. I don't need really high quality as I'll be autotuning the crap out of it anyways. Here's one I'm looking at:

Rode NT1 Signature Series Condenser Microphone with SM6 Shockmount and Pop Filter - Black | Sweetwater

Since you peeps are FAR better than I at this, I thought I'd run it past you and see if there is anything I should be aware of.

Neotrope

Established Member
i have a RODE K2 foreverand love it. also Shure Beta 58A...Blue Bluebird. and an MXL 990

Neotrope

Established Member
NT1 good choice

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't need anything fancy, just a way to get something from nothing.....know what I mean? I'm not a "vocalist" really. Just don't want to do cheesy "guitar part fill" vs. autotuned/pitchshifted something :ROFLMAO:

JamesNorth

Hall of Fame Member
I often send out a BaiFeiLi V5 mic to remote clients and get excellent warm / silky results from it.

It's a hybrid mic inspired by a bunch of different designs but has never sounded bad to me.

I might get jumped on for it being a Chinese mic from AliExpress and all that ... but I don't really mind, it's my gain for owning them! :)

Last edited:

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
The NT-1 is a pretty bright mic. Has a big presence peak starting at 4k that gets up to over +4db above 10k.

Could be the perfect mic for you. Or it could make you sound like Mike Tyson.
Hahahaahah! Yeah, maybe I ought to think about something else ;)

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
I just don't want to overthink this......average to below average singer is....average to below average.

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
Room matters more than the mic to start.

IOW, in a bad room, an SD1 might fit the bill, but in a good room, any LDC will likely beat any dyn most days.

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Room matters more than the mic to start.

IOW, in a bad room, an SD1 might fit the bill, but in a good room, any LDC will likely beat any dyn most days.
You are right. Didn't think about that. Really though, I'm not looking for a hit....just something to record some basic stuff, again, not really a good singer.

UAD Bundle Month