• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Mid Side (MS) recording

saemskin

Established Member
I have an AKGC200B (cardoid condenser) and am buying a Rode NT2-A (multi-pattern) which just happens to have a figure 8 pattern avaiable. If I wanted to set these up for MS recording does my sound card *need* to have an MS decoder, or can I deal with arranging the L & R channels properly after I record the signal, which will be in Soundforge. I have a MOTU 828MKII btw..

What about setup? From what I've read so far the Rode would need to fade left/right with respect to the source, and be set above the AKG which faces the source, both as close together as possible.

Any tips or other info is greatly appreciated.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
You can simply copy your S mic track to an extra track and reverse the phase on the copy. Pan the original 100% left and the out-of-phase one 100% right and make sure their levels are identical in the mix.

cAPSLOCK

Oh, and you are correct about the setup. One way you can arrange these mics into a M/S array would be to place the figure 8 above the cardioid at a 90 degree angle in the shape of an upside down L.

For what it's worth, M/S can also be done with three signgle diaphram mics, such as small diaphram condenders by crossing two of them 180 degrees with the heads together (but staggered on the X axis) and the third directly at the source 90 degrees from the others forming a T shape.

cAPS

UAD Bundle Month