• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Midi control of plugins

rydan

It would be REALLY great to have midi control for plugins, especially for the ones that invite to realtime tweaks (read RE-201!!). Preferrably some kind of midi learn, but fixed CC:s would be Ok too...

Yes, I know that you can use automation, but that's not nearly as hands on as using a standard midi controller. Also, It's difficult to get external midi controllers such as hardware sequencers and stuff to do anything useful with automation...

Pleeeease??? =)

G

yeah i was trying to figure out how to do this before. (with the re-201)
if anyknows how please share :)

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
If you're on SX/Nuendo, you can use a generic remote controller for that.

rydan

Yes, of course you can use the generic remote, but it's a pain to set up, and as soon you move the plug, or want to use another instance, you have to do it all over again. All in all, not nearly as simple and fast to use as midi control, i m h o...

Stag

rydan said:
Yes, of course you can use the generic remote, but it's a pain to set up, and as soon you move the plug, or want to use another instance, you have to do it all over again. All in all, not nearly as simple and fast to use as midi control, i m h o...
Generic remote is hard to setup, but once done it´s done save the preset.
Okay, you like to fool around, get Novation Remote SL it has bi directional MIDI with auto maping.

Akis

project said:
Akis please explain :)
Honestly, I think the manual explains it better than I could.

In short:

- You need a MIDI controller; I use a Behringer BCR2000 for that.

- After you've connected everything, installed the drivers etc., fire up Nuendo/SX, create a project and load the plug-in you want to control in the insert slot that you most often use it in. (When you've created a preset for a plug-in in, let's say, slot 3, it won't respond to the controller if you try it at slot 4, 7, whatever. You'll have to create another preset for that.)

- Go to Devices->Device Setup and add a 'Generic Remote Controller'.

- Follow the instructions on the manual on how to create a template. The learn function is very useful for that.

- Do not forget to save your template after each change you've made, preferably with a new name, as this function is a bit temperimental. For example, if you've created a list of controllers and you've left one un-assigned and un-named, the template won't load the next time - be very careful, I've lost templates because of that friggin' bug!

It's been over a year since I created most of my templates, so I don't remember anything else you should be aware of re: bugs etc. If you have any specific questions, just shout.

PS: Another PITA is that even if you have selected a channel and then load a plug-in, the plug won't respond to the controller; you have to select another channel and then the one you want to control. That is if you have programmed your template for the 'Selected channel' or whatever else it's called; any other setting didn't do it for me anyway.

saemskin

Established Member
maybe I dont understand. I automate (control whatever) UAD plugins all the time? Most expecially the cambridge, I use that for frequency based side-chain alot.
The RE-201 has 17 controllable parameters
Why do you want to create control templates? It takes 2 steps to link a control to the controller. At least in my DAW, right click the knob, select link to controller, and twist said knob/button/slide/pad/etc... done.
Also, when you do this you can record your tweaks locally (pattern) or gobally (song). If it sucks, erase and re-record.
Whats the big deal? Are those other programs really that much of a pain in the arse to control?

G

Got it i am now tweaking the intensity of the re-201 with my fantom-x :)
I like this...

Thank you!

Akis

saemskin said:
maybe I dont understand. I automate (control whatever) UAD plugins all the time? Most expecially the cambridge, I use that for frequency based side-chain alot.
The RE-201 has 17 controllable parameters
Why do you want to create control templates? It takes 2 steps to link a control to the controller. At least in my DAW, right click the knob, select link to controller, and twist said knob/button/slide/pad/etc... done.
Also, when you do this you can record your tweaks locally (pattern) or gobally (song). If it sucks, erase and re-record.
Whats the big deal? Are those other programs really that much of a pain in the arse to control?
What host are you using?

saemskin

Established Member
People look down their noses at it, so I'm hesitant to say.

FLStudio.
I will defend it until my dying breath that you can do anything with this program that you can with another.
Almost.

You guys would be surprised at the ease of automation, control, as well as the internal paramater modulators they have developed.

xist

Does the Remote Zero SL with its latest Automap Universal feature work fine controlling the UAD plugs? I'd be interested in it, especially if it works well in Logic.

thanks

djsynchro

Hall of Fame Member
That's why I use Ableton live... pretty much anything you can change is midi assignable, anything is undo-able.

Mitch Manger

So is anyone using Pro Tools able to assign MIDI to specific knobs or parameters on the UAD-1 plug-ins?

If anyone knows how in Pro Tools to assign MIDI CC to RTAS plugins that do not have MIDI Learn nor pre-assigned CC#-to-parameter relationships, PLEASE, let me know.

Under the MIDI column in FXPansion's VST-RTAS Adapter 2.11, the necessary VST wrapper for use of these plugins in Pro Tools, it lists all of the the UAD plugins as \"NO\", while most of my other plugins have \"YES\" listed for MIDI. I tried changing \"No\" to \"Yes\" for all the plug-ins in the MIDI column of the UAD FXPansion VST to RTAS Adapter version 2.1, It did not work. I was able to change the \"No\" to \"Yes\", but then when I went to \"Re-detect and Wrap Selected VST plug-in,\" (which is a necessary step, because the plug-ins don't automatically rewrap themselves when you change the \"No\" to \"Yes\"), it reverted back to the \"No.\"

If the UAD-1 simply doesn't support MIDI control in Pro Tools, can someone confirm this outright?

Mitch Manger

I was given the following answer by Brian White at Audiomidi, who runs \"Pro Tools Corner.\"

\" Hi Mitchell,
Unfortunately Pro Tools is the only DAW that purposefully doesn't allow you to automate most plugins with MIDI CC. Some say this is because they want to sell DIGI brand control surfaces, others say it is because of PT's unique automation implementation (Track automation is vector based, while MIDI CC holds discrete stepped values). At any rate, to do any MIDI CC automation on tracks other then instrument or midi, the plug-in would have to have a midi track just to store its automation data, since CC is stored within a MIDI region and not within the tracks automation breakpoint data. I am 99% sure that the UAD plugs cannot use midi CC, as most RTAS plugs (aside from virtual instruments) don't support this in Pro Tools. It is unfortunate because most other DAWs allow you to map this stuff. The closest thing Pro Tools has to implementing midi into the mixer/inserts/sends is the Mackie HUI protocol used by many 3rd party control surfaces and even some keyboards (like novation). Bottom line, if the plugin doesn't have a CC learn function or a table of CC-to-parameter in its manual then it is probably not gunna happen.
Hope this helps,
Brian\"

I'm going to return my UAD-1 Flexi Paks, which I just bought and haven't opened yet, unless i'm able to find a solution within the next 12 hours.

Macc

Established Member
You're going to return them cos you can't use midi control with them? Do you need that that much? :? :eek:

That seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face if you ask me...

UAD Bundle Month